• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

To those of you with outside bunnies (breathing problems)

ChristyRose

Alpha Buck
My rabbits live in the bike shed and have a lovely big run. Jasmine has been having problems with her breathing. She sits there and it looks as though she is panting and breathing fast. I took her to the vets on Friday and hes given her anti biotics but thinks it might be an allergy to something. They have a small hutch in the bike shed that they can cuddle up in which is where I put their hay. This hutch is constantly open to the rest of the shed. When it rains it does get wet on the floor of the shed as I have to leave the door open abit but the hutch stays dry.
Does anyone else have problems with outside bunnies?
I tried to put clear plastic over the shed to stop the rain going in but it kept blowing off in the strong winds.
I could put them in the summerhouse but they dont have access to a run and they love being outside.
I thought the bike shed would give them shelter this winter but is it causing more problems? Could it be the reason Jasmine is having problems with her breathing?

I'm a little confused by your description, have you got a pic? :)

Is the water coming in from the roof or under the floor?

With plastic sheet, you need to get it as tight as possible and weigh it down, so the wind can't get underneath.

Sorry, no the shed is weatherproof. I just keep the door open abit during the day for ventilation and so they can come an go as they like. If the weather is nice I just leave the doors wide open but we've had a lot of rain and wind in Cornwall so I leave it open a bricks width. The rain just goes through the gap. The hutch stays dry so I didnt think there was a problem until she got this funny panting/breathing thing. I'm worried that the weather is too wet for her? Surely rabbits can cope with wet weather? She doesnt get wet and she has a dry place to go to.
I am worried that its the damp weather that has caused her breathing problems?

Ahh, I'm with you :)

As long as they have somewhere dry then the wet weather shouldn't be a problem. It could exacerbate an underlying issue but I doubt that's the reason behind it.

How long has she had the antibiotics? They will take a few days to make a difference if she does have a chest infection. Does she have any discharge? There are other possible reasons for breathing problems so it might be the vet needs to do more investigation.

Have you checked round the shed just to make sure there is no sign of mould, the underside of the roof would be most likely. Have you changed anything like cleaning supplies that could have triggered an alergy?

She started the antibiotics this morning. So its too soon to make a difference yet.
No theres no discharge, shes still eating and washing herself. She dosnt appear to be ill other than she seems to be breathing fast. The vet said he could hear something when he listened to her chest. Someone on here on another thread said that sometimes rexes have heart problems.
I cant find any mould anywhere in the shed or bedding. Maybe its just one of those things and I should stop beating myself up about it and hope she gets better soon. I will drill some holes just under the roof tomorrow for extra ventilation just in case that is the problem.
I didnt know if I should move her into the summerhouse if that isnt the problem.... Shes just been sitting in the run all day and wont go into the shed.

Bunnies often sit out in the cold/wet, if she's unwell though the extra protection of the summer house might be better.

I'm going to move your topic to heath as don't think it is related to the housing, and some of the people more experienced with health issues might spot it there :)

I posted this on your other thread

I think you need to get her seen again today. She may need additional medication as well as the antibiotics. I honestly dont think this can wait til the follow-up appointment next week.

I am concerned that she *might* actually have pneumonia. If she has a build up of fluid on her lungs she will need a diuretic to shift it. Otherwise her breathing will get worse and worse :cry:

I would contact the Vet again today

Sorry Jacks Jane. I didnt get back to your other thread earlier. Shes okay and eating. I dont think shes got pneumonia as she would be ill and not eating and disinterested in everything.
I have been out with a torch this evening going over the shed with a fine tooth comb and I have found a very fine white powder on the underside of the roof. Mould spores? Could that be the problem? So that means theres not enough ventilation? Have been speaking to the OH and hes going to put some holes under the eaves tomorrow and I've also asked him to cut a hole with his jigsaw so I can put a window in. In the winter I can cover it with perspex and in the summer just leave it open with mesh.
Will she recover from a reaction to mould spores or have the spores caused an infection?
In the meantime I am going to go out and wipe the roof down and get rid of the white stuff.

Mould spores could aggravate a breathing issue, that's why asthmatic people struggle so much in damp houses. If you have a disinfectant type hutch cleaner give it a scrub with that. People can also be allergic to mould spores so a rabbit probably could be too.

Back