• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

i need advice please for matt, he's not well *back to normal :)*

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
he didn't run over when i let them out and he was sat hunched in the corner. he wouldn't move. he is refusing all food. i thought it might be his teeth but until last night he was eating everything. his tummy feels very 'empty'

our vets is closed and the emergency vets aren't very good. i've got maxolon and metacam here, should i just give that? that's all the emergency vets usually give.

he looks so down. we are trying to tempt him with food but he isn't interested. :cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:
I would not administer maxalon if you dont know what is wrong. Maxalon is contraindicated if there is a GI obstruction.

If your Vet has said he is happy for you to administer Metacam if needed then you could give that, but I would want him actually examined to try to establish what is wrong.

Sending vibes for him xx

i was worried about giving maxolon. i have it here because when bisc gets this it's always what he has, but matt doesn't normally get this. he has had stasis twice. last time it turned out to be his teeth.

i have given him metacam. he's on that anyway but i'm allowed to increase the dose when needed. matt took the metacam but dribbled alot of it out.

i'm thinking he's got spurs but the vets won't beable to do the op until after xmas. :cry:

i was worried about giving maxolon. i have it here because when bisc gets this it's always what he has, but matt doesn't normally get this. he has had stasis twice. last time it turned out to be his teeth.

i have given him metacam. he's on that anyway but i'm allowed to increase the dose when needed. matt took the metacam but dribbled alot of it out.

i'm thinking he's got spurs but the vets won't beable to do the op until after xmas. :cry:

If he is not eating due to tooth problems then the Dental will need to be done as an emergency. Can you call the Vet now for advice ?

Hope you can get vet advice for him soon to get him back to normal.

Do you have any recovery food to syringe feed him?

Can you mush up some pellets with water and feed him from the rounded handle end of a spoon holding him in your arms like a baby? That's whist I did to Blossom. I also got some banana down her that way too. I also gave her tummy massages and cooled mint tea via a syringe as well as Metacam.

I took her to the vet on the third day. The vet couldn't find anything wrong with her but gave her a course of anti-biotics just to see if it made a difference. Fortunately it did and she returned to good health.

I hope he picks up soon

has anything changed, food wise or environment?
I would call the emergency vets and explain the see if they recommend giving the metavlopramide.

luckily i remembered about the other rabbit vets near us and rang them and they closed at 3pm but they very kindly let us come in anyway. they were so lovely and the vet was very good.

matt has some gas and his guts were very slowed down but they hadn't stopped. he was checked over thoroughly and he needed a fluid injection, and an injection of metaclopramide. he had his teeth checked and she said he has some spurs but they're not bad. he was weighed and has actually gained weight so she thinks it's just the stasis.

we have come home with some recovery food. and since we have got back, matt has perked up a bit and has eaten a bit of parsley and coriander and he's had a long drink aswell.

he's on metacam anyway so will keep on having that and we have metaclopramide here aswell which he will be having aswell for a few days.

so nice of that vets to see us at short notice. and matt will hopefully improve now and we know he might be on the verge of needing a dental so can keep an eye on his eating and book him in for that asap if needed. x

That's excellent that the other vets could see you and that he's starting to eat again :D

i totally forgot about that vets :roll: only remembered when i checked the meds cupboard and saw them written down on my vets list! :oops: they're a good vets. we went once before with chesney. x

Back