• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I want to bring home a cat, but...

KoShiatar

Mama Doe
My boyfriend has dumped me yesterday (perfect timing at Christmas, huh?) and therefre it seems me and the bunnies won't be going back to live in Frankfurt after all.
This means I would have abundant space to take home a cat. But I'm feeling very guilty towards Mango and Maia, because they wouldn't be able to be kept in close contact with me as a cat would (I work on the computer and Maia is a great cable eater), and they are not as cuddly as a cat would be and that's why I wish to have a cat. Moreover, I realized I'd rather have a long-haired cat, which would probably mean purebred, and I'm feeling even more guilty. On top of that I keep thinking what if the cat hurt the rabbits?
Help please, I need advice!

I'm sorry about the rubbish timing of your ex.

With regards to a cat, there are plenty in rescues and they will also be able to tell you if they are cuddly, or standoffish, or volatile, etc. That said, if you want to go to a breeder make sure it's a reputable one.

There is a risk with cats and rabbits, so my advice would always be to not let them interact. It only takes a split second to harm a bunny (or vice versa) and that split second cost my Flash his life, but he is an exception, not the norm.

The other thing to consider is how your bunnies would cope with a preadtor in the house. I know some of mine would totally flip if we got another cat, and have/did totally flip when we had a cat.

There are lots of rescues with long haired cats! I hope you make a happy decision.

I can tell you how they reacted to a chihuahua (my sister's): Maia ran, Mango was suspicious but curious too. I think she would be the problem, if anything. Mango is much more laid back and very few things really scare him. I was also thinking that perhaps some breeds of cat have less predatory instinct and therefore would suit my case better. Any experience about that?
But anyway I can keep the cat separated from the bunnies if it need be. My main concern is that I dont want to love or care for the rabbits any less. Mango adored my ex and gave him lots of kisses and I want to do what is best for him because he's such a happy hearted bunny who never deserves to be neglected.

Last edited:
Even my "hunter" cat has never bothered with the rabbits... They're too big for most cats to see prey.
One of my cats can be trusted with Charlie, the other can't. On the other hand, Milly also can't always be trusted witht he cats because she's a territorial little thing :lol: so it works both ways... She's fine in the garden and living room but in "her" space she would go for the cat

It's often the smell of the cat, rather than the actions of the cat that cause the problem.

Our cat was a soft old softie who liked the bunnies and given half a chance would have groomed and snuggled them (was a stray paw to Flash's eye and stress that killed him). She gave off no bad vibes to the bunnies, but last year I got three foster bunnies and when she walked into the room they would just run in a blind panic, and she would ignore them totally and find a spot to go to sleep, go to sleep, and they would still be panicked.

Nowadays, the remaining foster bunny here panics if I come home from someones house smelling of a cat or a dog, even if there is none with me.

(oh, and we also had one bunny who really attacked our very soft, old cat quite dramatically and drove her out the room).

All our bunny and cat meetings were accidents, and there were only two. The one with Flash and the one where Moon attacked her as she slept in a hidden corner of the room.

Is Maia is that stressed by a predator you need to consider if it's fair to her to get a predatory addition.

I'm so sorry to hear about your relationship break up. I hope you dont mind me saying that it doesnt sound like a good time to adopt a new pet. Heal your heart before you make a huge commitment. I know if it was me, i wouldnt be thinking straight and would feel the urge to want to love something again. :oops:

Wishing you strength and all the best xxx

Our rabbit Scarlet loves our cat Squeak, She goes up to the side of the run and they sniff noses through the mesh. If he goes by without stopping she chases after him, I can just imagine her going "Squeak! Come back!". It's really cute and I am hoping to catch it on camera someday.

Is Maia is that stressed by a predator you need to consider if it's fair to her to get a predatory addition.
She only seems bothered by the dog itself, not by any smells people have clinging to them - and we all cuddle the dog quite often. True, she is nervous around people, but she's always been that way. I think that if a cat lived in the house but she didn't have to meet it, she'd be fine.

Sorry to hear your relationship didnt work out :( My rabbits love my cats even the once timid Dreamer was in love with Crystal, you have to be very careful though i think it depends on the buns and the cats in question. I would never ever leave them unsupervised though no matter ho good they were. There are plenty of purebred rescues and beautiful longhaired rescue moggies :wave:

Last edited:
Busted. :oops: Though I have to say I've been wanting a cat for years now.

Maybe you need time to heal first. Put yourself first and then re-consider when you feel a little stronger. You obviously have a few doubts and i think you owe it to yourself to re-consider the commitment when you are not so raw.

Well done on admitting it though. *hugs*

I'll be taking home a kitty! We've found a small, caring breeder just 10 minutes from our home. He's a ragdoll too, so he won't be hunting the rabbits anytime soon (these cats are very mellow). I can't wait! He'll be ready in a month or so.

I'll be taking home a kitty! We've found a small, caring breeder just 10 minutes from our home. He's a ragdoll too, so he won't be hunting the rabbits anytime soon (these cats are very mellow). I can't wait! He'll be ready in a month or so.

someone 'caring' wouldn't be breeding cats when there are so many in rescues.:cry:

I also agree with Grin that now isn't a good time to be making a decision like that. You are looking for an outlet for the affection you used to give your partner, and wanting something to have physical contact with, again to make up for what you have lost. I really think you should take some time before making this decision, you say you've wanted one for ages anyway, what would it hurt to wait a little longer, and make sure you're geting one for the right reasons.

I went into our local RSPCA in November and ended up coming home with Violet.

Violet has been abondened on the street. She'd fought to survive herself as a small, young cat. She'd had to find prey herself, live by herself and find her way through life.

Thankfully, someone caring saved her and took her to the RSPCA. We went in, I fell in love with her and we took her home 2 days later.

When she got here, she was violent, aggressive, hissed and clawed constantly. She really was like a little feral cat. We never thought she's be ok with our other cat, our buns, rats and had even questionned how she'd continue being with our daughter.

6 weeks on... Violet snuggles up with our house bun. Her and Selby adore eachother, she follows me everywhere, snuggling up on the couch and even sitting at the end of the bath, waiting for me to finish in the shower each morning. She loves cuddles, she loves people. She loves having a REAL home. She doesn't go outside, she doesn't want to. Why would she after spending her first year and a half out there?

Selby, our first cat was the same. Now, he sleeps on our bed.

Why buy when you can adopt a wonderful little cat whose had no life, no love, no anything? A cat who has never been loved before or had a home appreciates it all the more. They truly do.

RSPCA cubicles are full, constantly. The one by me has 30 plus cats in all the time, when we took in Violet, there was a huge waiting list of cats waiting to come in too, including so many pregnant mums.

Kittens over run rescues. Slightly older cats even more so.

If you want a cuddle cat, don't get a kitten. Little kittens don't 'do' cuddles. They're destructive, naughty and mischevious. Cuddly cats are older cats.

Rescues are overrun with cats. Caring breeders dont exist when cats are being turned away from rescues because there's no spaces left. :(

I feel quite sad that you have been led to believe that a breeders kitty is the best choice for you where the bunnies are concerned.
Many cats are absolutley fine with bunnies, but you can never be guaranteed!
My local cats protection league are turning cats and kittens away at the moment.... :(

I got my cat from rescue when she was 18mths old.... she is an absolute star with my dog, and the bunnies
But I think thats just luck and temperament rather than breeding..

Good luck in what you decide

I just wanted to say that being a ragdoll won't mean he cant hurt the bunnies. We have a ragdoll who is an adult but he is like a kitten because he's so playful he's got no fear and because of this he treats every animal like a cat. Not a bad bone in his body but this means that he would play with my bunnies like he would a cat (you know when cats play they can play bite) and of course in no way would he do it maliciously to him it would just be playing but it would not be good for the bunny! I know this because i let him into Bumble's run one day but i was right there and i could see he wanted to play put him out again!

Ruthie xxx

Back