• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cat encounter through glass doors. Move pen again? Other care?

Vita

Mama Doe
I hear rattling and something falling and rab straight downstairs, frightened that something had fallen on Ada and hurt her. I saw her running full tilt and couldn't see where she'd gone. I found her in a corner under the kitchen table with ears up, sitting alert, and unusually she didn't nestle down or lower her ears when I stroked her. I stood up and turned round.

And there was a great big black and white tomcat - who frequents the neighbourhood - sitting right up at the French windows near her pen, staring in. He had evidently seen her and she had seen him and was frightened. I hissed and gurned at the cat through the glass to chase him away, and closed the curtains again.

Should I move her home? It's the only really convenient corner downstairs that isn't in my way much. She would probably have to come back in my bedroom. She was last here when Beatrix was taken ill, and most of the rest of the room would need to be fenced off with NIC panels (which I now have), and the room does feel crowded and cluttered with the whole pen here. If I could trust her not to pee on the carpet - she's quite good but not perfect yet - she could have a cage base for food and litter tray, but I don't think she's well trained enough for that yet. The kitchen is so much easier for cleaning and feeding.

Is there anything else I should do to care for her after this fright?

I have friends round tonight; they are totally understanding about animals' needs, but I can't avoid the fact that there will be a bit of noise and people she doesn't know so well in the house.

She would *probably* get used to seeing the cat (my rabbits did), but if you feel it's best for her then move her...
Could you maybe put some wood between her cage and the window? So the majority of the window is open but she can't see out

I'd just suggest using something to block off the window area, at rabbit height, so she can't see. even just sticking newspaper on the glass would work sufficiently.

If you stay chilled and relaxed she will hopefully sense from you she is ok. Feed her and give her her favourite treaty noms as a distraction. Equally if she won't settle then leave her to it and she will calm down- just make sure she keeps eating.

I could put some wrapping paper up! :) And thank you for reminding me to keep a closer eye on her eating - that's just the sort of thing I need. I will keep giving her new food through the day so she's as interested as possible in it.

:) christmassy!

The other side of the coin with the treaty noms is making sure you don't upset her stomach that way. It's such a fine balancing act.

They are just so complicated! :lol:

Back