• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A rabbit is not for us

NexivRed

Young Bun
This is the decision we have come to after 7 or 8 weeks of contemplating adding to our household. After all the research I've done and the information I've gathered from this forum, we've come to the conclusion that (among other things) it's just going to be too expensive. With what seems like a large percentage of rabbits costing hundreds or even thousands of pounds a year in veterinary costs, we just can't knowingly make a commitment like that. The thought of having to go for monthly dentals frightens be tbh. We have a young son and four cats and just cannot devote all our spare finances on just one pet, most likely sacrificing other leisure activities.

So, really sad and disappointed because I got so excited every time I thought about it. But also I don't think I'd be able to stand the stress and heartache of other conditions, like the stasis. I'll be permanently watching it like a hawk and jumping at every little twinge.

So, yeah. Thank you for all your help and advice and enjoy your rabbits! I'm sad to think I won't be able to rescue a bunny and give it a home, but we're going to look into the possibility of re-homing an ex racing greyhound instead. Wish us luck!

Whatever you choose to do. I'm sure you will do it having researched properly, you deserve a big pat on the back for that :D If most people went about it like you rescues wouldn't be full. Yes rabbits can be a great pet but they are blooming hard work and expensive.
Best of luck for the future, you never know one day you may be in a position to help a bun or two. I'm well over 50 and not long into the whole bunny thing :D Merry Christmas x

I've spent £500 on vet fees in the last few months, so I know where you're coming from :lol:

Good luck with the greyhound, I'd love to have a dog :)

There is a self-selection bias on forums like this one; I'm sure I'm far from the only person who started posting because they wanted some support in dealing with an ill rabbit. However, I think you're very wise to make such a considered decision, especially with children and other pets in the picture.

I tend to imagine rabbits as having price tags of £1500 attached to them now! And I've no idea how single people who work full time away from home manage care of unwell rabbits (though plenty evidently do).

Good luck with the rescue greyhound. I'm sure he'll have a wonderful home with such a thoughtful and caring family.

So good to see someone really researching before getting a pet, impulse buys so often end in heartache.

Maybe, in the future, the time will be right for you to have rabbits! xxx

I think its the right decision if you don't have the money, over the last year I have had 4 of my 11 fall ill and luckily 3 of them were insured, those 3 have had more than £3000 put on insurance, and the other has cost me around £600 for treatment (none of this includes vaccinations, or neutering, that was on top). They are not cheap. Could you look into insurance? With PetPlan it is around £10 a month to insure your bun and they do cover a lot and pay out quickly, and most vets will deal with them directly?
It's great you have done so much research even though you came to that conclusion, bunnies are a great pet and hopefully one day you will be in a financial position to be able to have a beautiful rescue pair

If u can't afford the vet fees for a rabbit how are u going to cope of your greyhound gets ill? As others have said this forum is a bit of a biased place to do research as lots of posts here are about sick rabbits and people only ten to post the bad news, or when they want vibes.

Any animal can become ill at any time and therefore if u can't afford a rabbit I don't think u should be getting a greyhound. Rabbits are no more likely than other animals to get ill. I have 3 bunnies and all I have spent this year at the vets is about £100 on vaccinations. Thr year before Bungle cost me £300 to have his nose rebuilt after an accident. I have my other 2 insured, pay about £11 a month.

Good for you for researching! But please research greyhounds too, they take a LOT of walking in whatever weather, they are greedy dogs and will eat what they can get their paws on and may have emotional and health issues.

If u can't afford the vet fees for a rabbit how are u going to cope of your greyhound gets ill? As others have said this forum is a bit of a biased place to do research as lots of posts here are about sick rabbits and people only ten to post the bad news, or when they want vibes.

I agree with this :) we have had two ex racers in the past and they arnt cheap to look after either with vaccinatiobs etc. Both mine ended up with arthritis and needed special diets ad their bellies are known to be fairly sensitive. Plus both mine had teeth probs due to the diet they get fed at the track! (Both had to have all their teeth removed when they were 10) Food cost us about £40 per month at least if not more. I'm not trying to put you off at all because they are fab pets (we have three children) but every pet has potential problems, costs etc :)

Any animal can become ill at any time and therefore if u can't afford a rabbit I don't think u should be getting a greyhound. Rabbits are no more likely than other animals to get ill. I have 3 bunnies and all I have spent this year at the vets is about £100 on vaccinations. Thr year before Bungle cost me £300 to have his nose rebuilt after an accident. I have my other 2 insured, pay about £11 a month.

I actually think rabbits are more fragile and more likely to be ill than dogs. Although you are right, any animal can become ill, rabbits are usually more expensive, like dentals and stasis because of anathesia. Greyhounds are hardy, relatively healthy dogs, with not many genetic health problems, so the only sort of costs he may have, are vaccinations or emergency costs, such as fractures of legs etc, but then again, that's quite rare.

I fully understand the OP's reasons for not getting a rabbit, they are mighty expensive if they become ill, and even vaccinations are 2 rabbits can reach into £100 a year, and neutering for females can about around £100 each. As my rabbit has a chronic condition, she's usually at the vets quite often, and consultation fees and medicine costs money. The other of my rabbits also needed a dental, which cost a couple of hundred. So yes, I would say rabbits are more expensive and fragile than most other pet animals.

Good for you for researching! But please research greyhounds too, they take a LOT of walking in whatever weather, they are greedy dogs and will eat what they can get their paws on and may have emotional and health issues.

Copied from this site:
http://www.watchkennelsrgt.co.uk/trainingexercise.shtml

EXERCISE

Greyhounds are naturally quite lazy and exercise in short bursts. They spend a lot of time sleeping. 2 x 20 mins walks per day can suffice with free exercise as wanted in the garden.

I agree with this, all animals have the risk of becoming ill and incuring huge vets bills, people come here to discuss health issues and a lot fo rescues are here with often many poorly buns due to mistreatment and neglect. I've been pretty lucky, I do have Tinkerbell on regular metacam because she unfrtunately has Arthritis and that costs me about £20 a month. The others touch wood have been fine although Teddy has snuffles and ive paid our for antibiotics a couple of times. Obviously then theres the vaccinations but other than that I haven't had huge vets bills... Its a shame you can't afford them at the moment, but well done for researching it first. :wave:

Fantastic that you have researched rabbits instead of just getting one :thumb:, if only everyone did!

But all pets can be expensive, i have spent thousands on my cats and dogs, this year alone my cats bill was £7,000 (thank god i had insurance and only had to pay the excess plus £20%) My guinea pigs have cost me several hundred a year and about the same with my bunnies.

insurance is a big help but is very costly too

i know this isnt a thread about pet insurance but just wanted to add the cost of pet insurances increases dramatically as the pet gets older and when lots of claims are made. for example i pay £57 a month for one of my older dogs with a £150 excess plus 20% of all bills :shock: whereas my younger dogs are £36 a month with just a £100 excess, its all something to think about :)

if you can offer an ex racing greyhound a home that would be awsome they so deserve it :)

Last edited:
Well done for researching first and making the best decision for your family. It's a shame not more people like are responsible as you.

I'm wondering though whether fostering might be an option if you did want rabbits in your life? If you foster for a rescue they will generally pay the bills, and it means you can still enjoy your rabbity friends, and also know you're helping some very needy bunnies be safe and start the journey looking for their forever home.

Well done for researching first and making the best decision for your family. It's a shame not more people like are responsible as you.

I'm wondering though whether fostering might be an option if you did want rabbits in your life? If you foster for a rescue they will generally pay the bills, and it means you can still enjoy your rabbity friends, and also know you're helping some very needy bunnies be safe and start the journey looking for their forever home.

This is a lovely idea and can be very rewarding. Just a warning handing them back can be hard but you are making space for a new bun in need

I echo what others have said about any pet being expensive. My buns have cost about £90 in vets bills other than vaccs this years whereas one of the cats has cost a few hundred

My rabbits have cost a lot more than my other pets, I don't think cats/dogs get ill half as much... And insurence covers more for them.
Even if you insure a rabbit you could still have dental fees every 3 weeks.

Greyhounds are probably the laziest dogs there are. They don't want long walks and they certainly don't do getting wet. As for being greedy and having emotional or health issues, some do, some don't, like any other breed of dog.

I do personally think this forum gives a very skewed view of keeping rabbits. In the last 7 years, I've probably done about half a dozen non-routine trips to the vets with my rabbits, and the only one who has cost me anything significant in vets bills is one who had a small lump removed a few years ago, then this year had a dental and treatment for pneumonia. I'd say for non-routine stuff, they've maybe cost me £1,000 in 7 years (her having cost about £700 of that) and that's having 9 of them.

Compare with the dogs. Over the same time period I've had one with cancer, one with dementia and one with a neurological condition, all of whom needed expensive ongoing treatment. 7 weeks into owning another dog and she's already spent 6 of those on antibiotics for one thing or another. I'm hoping it won't continue! And my dogs haven't been typical - 30 years of owning them before these and very few needed any significant vet treatment. But I don't think it's as simple as saying one type of animal will need more treatment or be more expensive in terms of vets bills than another. It's ultimately the luck of the draw - you've got to be prepared for the cost when you get them, though you hope it doesn't happen. Sometimes you'll be lucky and other times you won't.

That's a shame :( there are some healthy buns out there, like my three have never had a vet bill other than routine vaccinations. But it can happen so its good you are aware.

I have two ex-racing greyhounds, and a greyhound cross puppy. They are wonderful pets, and cheap, providing you have insurance (greyhounds are easy to 'break'), and I would really recommend thinking about getting one :thumb:

Back