• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nail cutting - urgent help! U/D P11 he is ok

MilosMummy

Mama Doe
We decided to do the bunnies nails tonight and got to Milos turns. The OH cut the claw but I think went slightly too far and it started bleeding - ALOT! We got a tissue, applied some pressure and it seems to have stopped but when I got up it looks like possibly the whole claw has come off. Have called the emergency vets and they say just to keep an eye on it in case he catches it and it starts bleeding again. Is there anything else I can do. I am so worried that he will go into statis or something because of the stress. Not what you need on the Christmas weekend when the emergency vet isn't particularly rabbit savvy. My poor boy :( He is looking very sorry for himself at the moment.

Last edited:
Do you have any corn flour? It will stop the bleeding.

My experience of these things, it ALWAYS looks worse than it is, and we have ALL done it. Dont panic :)

Do you have any metacam at home? If you do maybe you could phone the emergency vet again and ask if it's ok to administer some.

I've done this a couple of times. Once I had to take Mischa to the most local vets cos it wouldn't stop and once it stopped pretty quickly on it's own. Cornflour or normal flour helps it to stop sometimes.

Last edited:
I wouldn't give any drugs yet, just keep the wound clean and dry and keep an eye on it and the buns behaviour.

I agree with Elena. I would give Metacam under my vets instructions so I would say if you have some at home to call your vets and ask if you can give some.

In my early days of cutting nails I did this once and it was horrid but the bunny was fine- no stasis or anything. I hope Milo will be the same :)

Don't panic. alot of blood comes out from a closely clipped nail. This always happened with my first girl, whether it was me or my vet. She was always fine.

Nose rubs to Milo.

Thank you everyone :wave: I don't have any metacam so that isn't an option. He is eating hay at the moment so hope that continues. I think the sheer amount of blood is what shocked me the most.

OH keeps telling him how sorry he is :(

This happened to me a few weeks ago with thumper i picked him up ran to the bathroom and applied pressure with water and a towel and it stopped bleeding he was no worse after he went straight back to his litter tray and carried on eating x

I think we've all managed to do this at some point or other! Salt jumped off the vet's table (he's only a nethie :shock:) once and broke a nail straight off. All have been absolutely fine, so I really wouldn't worry. If he's munching hay it sounds like he's got over it!

Thank you everyone :wave: I don't have any metacam so that isn't an option. He is eating hay at the moment so hope that continues. I think the sheer amount of blood is what shocked me the most.

OH keeps telling him how sorry he is :(

Oh bless your OH.

Tell him I've dropped Mini and gave her a dislocated hip, she still loves me. :) Milo will come around to him again :)

I've just checked on Milo and he seems ok :D No more blood and he was eating.

Milo. Bunnies of RU. Just watch those hoomins because they will ty to cut your paws off!!!!

Bob once pulled his paw back when I was about to clip the dew claw and it snapped off at the base (but still hanging on due to the vessel :shock:) I rang the vet in a mad panic and they just said to snip it off and it would be fine. It really was, I felt very guilty for ages but Bobby never batted an eyelid bless him :).

Back