• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Runs - discuss....

ShazzaBunny

Warren Veteran
I have had many bunny runs done for me :) (Gracie, rest her soul :love: came from Jane in Warick, Riley came from Asissi in N.Ireand, Oose came from Kay at Bunnyhops) and each of the times i have gone for a bunny run, rather than support one of the more local rescues to me, is because i have been selfish and wanted a specific breed :oops:, which dont often come up in rescue, and i refuse to go to a breeder for.

I have been lucky as on all occasions, the intended buns have decided they like their potential partners :). HOWEVER i have had bunnies from Fife Rabbit Rescue (one of the local rescues i strongly support) who did not like their potentials and had to go back :(. This is something most rescues offer, however, on the occasions i have had a long haul bunny run, i have always ensured that i have space for the bunny who is travelling and a friend for them, should the bond not work.

I know situations can change, and this is not aimed at anyone, just a few threads got me thinking.... if you choose a long bunny run for the specific rabbit you have fallen for (which like i say, i do support) should it not be agreed that if the bond fails, an alternative can be arranged so the bunny can stay in the home it travelled so far to :?. Obviously circumstances change and sometimes people cannot commit, this is not what i am talking about, i mean, is it selfish to expect a bunny to travel (Riley a prime example an old disabled boy traveling over the water to be with me), should he have not bonded and i failed to have space for him, is it fair to send him back so far?

I guess MY OPINION is, if a bunny is being subjected to a long haul to be with me, the least i think *I* can do is ensure it has permanent residence regardless. If i could not offer this, no matter how much i desire a bunny, i would need to go local.

No arguements, but what are your opinions on long haul bunny runs.

I personally do not rehome to more than 15 (20 at a push) miles from the rescue. I don't want to do them for various reasons - some of which you have touched on re having to keep a space open just in case. But also homechecking (I do all of my own), support post adoption, not knowing the vets in that area and the inability to do any followups.

I don't have a problem with those who choose to do them though.

My personal opinion is related purely to the rabbits that I am involved in and is not a judgement of other people and their choices.

I have been involved in bunny runs to move bunnies to a rescue, and, in these situations, it has always been in the best interests of the bunnies. Often it's just been me driving them without a changeover. One lovely lady came and collected two bunnies from me and drove a long way to do so. Equally, on another run three lovely ladies helped transport a special guy to a safe place.

We don't have a distance we rehome to like Helen does, but all adopters do have to come and meet the bunny and collect them from the RSPCA. I also do ALL the home visits myself.

We have only done one 'bunny run' and that was taking Little to his new owner, and we did it that way because that was best for Little, and his new adopters had already made a huge effort to come up to us. We have also taken bunnies on death row to new homes when necessary because that was best for the bunnies involved. That has been a straight A to B with me and my dad, never with anyone else helping.

I know though, that for all bunnies adopted out from us, should the need arise, I could go and collect them all. I feel responsible for them even when they are in their homes and need to make sure i'm always there if they need me.

I believe that in the majority of circumstances it is not in the best interests of our bunnies for a lot of the reasons you mentioned and some others. That said, that is just my opinion on our bunnies, as I said before, it's not an opinion on what others choose to do. :)

Milly wasn't from close by, but if it wasn't for rescues rehoming further away I wouldn't have been able to get a rescue bunny at all.
I did, however, know that I was keeping her whatever the outcome of the bond.

Long distance rehoming is a godsend for those of us who don't live in an area with a decent rescue :love:

Milly wasn't from close by, but if it wasn't for rescues rehoming further away I wouldn't have been able to get a rescue bunny at all.
I did, however, know that I was keeping her whatever the outcome of the bond.

Long distance rehoming is a godsend for those of us who don't live in an area with a decent rescue :love:

I completely understand this which is why I don't have a problem with other rescues choosing to do it. :D

Personally I simply can't afford to drive too far in both fuel costs or time but I feel 100% responsible for the bunnies in my care until they go to their new home and that's why I choose to operate the way I do. I have had a few issues with bunnies in the past needing to come back for rebonding/being given back (not from TRC but from rescues I volunteered for) so I feel it prudent to keep them close in the first place.

I have taken in rabbits from all over the place - some because they 'fitted' with what I needed (e.g. young nethie female has to be non-bossy (asking a lot for a nethie!!!); or because they were a 'special needs' and we were a good home, or because for one reason or another they came to my attention (on preloved) and pulled at my heart strings.

You could argue that I could have found tons on Preloved in cambridge . . but tbh I never purposely look on sites like that - these were ones that had been brought to my attention through forums etc.

I have also taken part in bun runs - and in those instances it was usually the case that the only person who came forward to home a particular rabbit was the other end of the country - so it was that or nothing.

When I have taken a rabbit from a distance for myself then I commit to that rabbit regardless - if it doesn't get on with its intended partner then we try another partner - etc.

When I take a rabbit to someone else then I expect them to do the same.

I'd personally prefer to get a rabbit within an hour drive as I'd want them to be bonded before coming back to me . Bunny runs are fab though and id love to help with one one day if the opportunity arises !

I'd personally prefer to get a rabbit within an hour drive as I'd want them to be bonded before coming back to me . Bunny runs are fab though and id love to help with one one day if the opportunity arises !

I like being able to bond my own bunnies, it's great seeing them in love and knowing it's because you did it :love:

I have taken in rabbits from all over the place - some because they 'fitted' with what I needed (e.g. young nethie female has to be non-bossy (asking a lot for a nethie!!!); or because they were a 'special needs' and we were a good home, or because for one reason or another they came to my attention (on preloved) and pulled at my heart strings.

You could argue that I could have found tons on Preloved in cambridge . . but tbh I never purposely look on sites like that - these were ones that had been brought to my attention through forums etc.

I have also taken part in bun runs - and in those instances it was usually the case that the only person who came forward to home a particular rabbit was the other end of the country - so it was that or nothing.

When I have taken a rabbit from a distance for myself then I commit to that rabbit regardless - if it doesn't get on with its intended partner then we try another partner - etc.

When I take a rabbit to someone else then I expect them to do the same.

Exactly this :) like i say, i support bunny runs as it helps the right rabbits find the right homes, as long as there is a backup plan, should it not work :D

I dont look on preloved etc either, i would rather remain ignorant of it :oops:

I like the idea of them if the rabbits are those which aren't going to be considerably stressed during a long journey. I don't have any rescue's near me (that spay/neuter and vaccinate), there is two RSPCA's just under an hour away but they require lager accomadation then my 8ft X 6ft shed, they would require an attached run so they have so many sq feet 24/7 so for me I was very happy to find out about bunny runs, when I went to pick up Gordon from a lady who had brought him so far over here I had a little peek at him and he sat up to have a nosey at me and seemed fine after/during the journey :) Also for those that may not be able to drive they would be very helpful.

I'm not comfortable with them personally, but that is probably becuase I don't drive and would want minimal inconvenience to others should I be adopting another bunny. I didn't know about 'bunny runs' when I was looking for a rabbit, but the main reason Spenser is rehomed rather than rescued is that I don't drive. I only needed a 10 minute lift each way twice to first meet and then collect him.

Back