• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets at home bun

charl86

Alpha Buck
Sorry to start another of these threads, but there's a p@h bun that I can't get out of my head :cry:. We went in the other day for the first time in ages as I needed a few bits and there was a bun in there, it's huge, not sure of the breed exactly as I'm not familiar with bigger buns, but he's VERY big, and black with uppy ears he is sooo beautiful. :love: when I saw him my heart sank because I remembered a bun like him last time I was in there, I couldn't remember when that was, but I know it was sunny outside :cry:.

So when I got to the till I asked if it was the same bun who had been there a while, it was. I asked the sex and was told that he was a boy, and to be fair to p@h before I could say anything else the girl said that he had to be a house bunny as he is too big for a hutch and that he was to go to a house with no children or dogs, she explained that that was why he had been there so long, and then she said but if you've got a spare bedroom....

ergh... he's tugged so much at my heart strings, I know that there are buns who have been sat in rescues as long as him, but he's just so big, P@H is no home for him, I hated seeing him there especially with christmas coming up and the store closing. They have made his enclosure bigger than they usually get, and apparently they let him have a run around the store before opening. I don’t know whether he is an "adoption" rabbit or if he's been there since a baby or what, but he's about six months old now. I don’t see why they would have sourced him as stock as they must of known he would be hard to shift, but I don’t know, maybe they did.

Anyways he's just playing on my mind at the minute, I already have two single house buns that I would like to bond, so would be crazy to get him and so I haven't, but I can't stop thinking about the poor little (or big!) thing, I feel so sorry for him. Poor bun....:cry::cry:

aww :( poor bunny, i have been in the same situation before, i saw a big bun in a chicken coop outside our pets at home in summer they were having an adoption awarness day or something and the bun they were using was a sold as a giant but the woman said he hadnt grown big enough :roll: any way i noticed he was a bit snuffly and there was children all round him prodding at him and wanting him i even heard one of the parents discussing a 4ft single hutch for him, so i made the decision to adopt him and it just felt right as id just lost my toby and getting max just felt right :) i now try not to look at the animals in there because otherwise id want them all :lol:

Sadly its the same story all across the country in p@h :( most have been stocking giant breeds for at least a year. Those and chickens are the 'in' thing to sell. They sell giants for around £129 and make a tidy profit but a lot seem to be stuck with finding homes with them as there aren't enough people that actually have space or want to try a housebun. Hopefully they will all end up in the adoption section and p@h will stop buying them in.

If you decide to get him, you could tell them you want to adopt him at the adoption fee rate only as you know how long he has been stuck there, and send the money direct to their linked rescue if they have one or if not, write a cheque to the adoption trust so it isn't going in to the normal till as profit. If they don't accept that, walk away as buying him at shop prices will mean they replay e him as soon as a breeder has another litter. To be honest, even if you adopt him they will probably replace him anyway as the head office don't care how long it takes to sell them I don't think.

There are lots of buns in rescue who may actually have less room than the p@h bun because the rescue is swamped with buns. A rescue needs your money and the space more than p@h. :)

To be honest it sounds like they know how much space he needs and aren't going to let him live in a hutch. Yes they don't homecheck but nor do some rescues, and if someone is go against all advice they will do it homecheck or no homecheck. There are rabbits in rescue that have been there years, some their entire life, so don't feel bad that he's been there a few months. Honestly, they sound like they know a bit about rabbits and he'll probably get a home faster in p@h becauise of the footfall and popularity of the stores. He's probably better off there than taking up space in rescue and denying a place to a neglected animal in danger.

Its so tough, this time last year, I adopted Cleo (then named Carrot Face :shock:). She was a house bun and the friendliest bun I have seen (other than my baby Bungle).

I brought her home and she settled in quickly and we bonded her with Bruce and she now lives in the she and her massive enclosure with him.. She still loves her snuggles and Bruce also became more tame because of her.

I think that all buns are just as deserving as each other no matter where they come from, its not their fault they end up in a shop rather than a rescue.

aww no, I hadn't realised Pets at home had started stocking them, its such a shame for them :cry: I'd hoped maybe he had been handed in to the adoption part when he got too big for somone or they'd got bored and it was a one off that he was in there, the girl at the till said he had been neutered so I thought maybe it was done before he got there.
As much as I'd love to give the poor thing a home its not really practical with two unbonded buns anyway, but if I were to I'd want to adopt him and speak to somone to find out if they had plans to replace him first, but im not looking for a nw bun anyway so dont know why im thinking about it :roll:.
I don't think I can go in there again no matter how desperate I am, the animals are right in the middle where you cant aviod seeing them, and its just broke my heart seeing that big bun stuck in there so long :cry::cry:

Since when did giant buns have to be houserabbits! My giants live happily OUTSIDE in a shed with large attached run, but of course they think that rabbit = hutch

Since when did giant buns have to be houserabbits! My giants live happily OUTSIDE in a shed with large attached run, but of course they think that rabbit = hutch

I did think that myself, but I suppose people who are willing go to the trouble of converting a shed and attaching a big run suitable for a bun the size of him would be even harder to come by than house rabbit owners.

P@H have created a new breed of rabbit called a "giant house rabbit" regardless of the breed (frenchie/contie/whatever) they are classed as this new P@H breed :roll:

I sympathise, its horrid when a bunny tugs your heart strings, but then i remind myself how many rescues tug my heart strings too, and i know i cant have them either :)

Totally agree even house rabbits can be neglected. My latest bun was a house rabbit. Kept in a tiny2 and a half foot guinea pig cage. It is obvious she has muscle wastage but is overweight through lack of exercise.

If you buy, they will simply just replace.

Maybe you could let the shop know about this forum and suggest they give the new owner the web address :thumb:

I had some old Rabbiting On magazines that I had read cover to cover so I took those in and asked them to give one away with each rabbit sold.

Back