• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another post about toothless bunnies...sorry :P

LauryStevens

Mama Doe
How can you convince a toothless bunny to eat things that help it's back teeth?....I'm now struggling to get him to eat "banana hay" and I fear that his vets appointment tomorrow will show this.

Also, when I woke up, he came up for a fuss and was laying down with his head on the quilt for 20 minutes while I fussed his mane etc :love: but he did leave a dribble patch... I'm guessing possible back teeth issues, but am also wondering if it's just because he hasn't got front teeth and just "got comfortable" as he does drink quite a bit of water.

anyway...the main aim of the thread is to try find way to get those back teeth shortened as much as possible, naturally. any ideas? :)

I have very limited experience (aka Mole) but what I found was that I was babying him too much because he has no incisors, and that was actually not helping his back teeth. Sounds like your bun does have back teeth that need attention but once those are sorted maybe it's worth re-thinking his regime? (I guess it will take him a few days to get over dental first though). Like with Mole, I stopped soaking his pellets - crunching helps his back teeth. His carrot and greens are in small bits as a concession to his not having incisors, and he eats alone because he eats slowly. He needs more pellets a day to maintain his weight (not eating caecs? not sure) but basically he eats hay all day long and since then touch wood his back teeth seem okay... Hope this helps a bit...

Snowy, thankfully is a good hay eater, will chomp and chomp, he has science selective pellets, we have never softened them as he copes very well at eating them, only thing, like Tinsel above has posted, his greens do need to be sliced up really small because that he does struggle with.
What sort of pellets do you have?

Snowy, thankfully is a good hay eater, will chomp and chomp, he has science selective pellets, we have never softened them as he copes very well at eating them, only thing, like Tinsel above has posted, his greens do need to be sliced up really small because that he does struggle with.
What sort of pellets do you have?

Burgess Excel but someone on the forum has very kindly donated us some Obxow pellets which I know are harder and have better hay/fribre content so hope they'll help better.

- maybe some redigreass would help?

Burgess Excel but someone on the forum has very kindly donated us some Obxow pellets which I know are harder and have better hay/fribre content so hope they'll help better.

- maybe some redigreass would help?

My Dexter is a gummy bun and he's not the best hay eater. He never eeeever lets me help him when he's struggling. Maybe its just him, but he always wants to do everything himself, if I cut something up he goes for the uncut pieces - very strange! :p

As for keeping teeth down he LOVES ready grass as it is very easy to eat. I find the best thing to do is make things thin and long because then they can pull them into the back of their mouth to chew. Just try lots of hay and if one doesn't work go back to it later. As your bun's gums harden he will find it easier to pick things up.

Good luck :) xxx

Oh and Dexter always dribbles! :p he can't keep his mouth shut properly and usually his tongue sticks out too :lol:

yeah Merlin sticks his tongue out a bit too :) he likes redigrass (a little) and I bought some excel herbs to go with it too :) fingers crossed!

Back