• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Breathing fast

ChristyRose

Alpha Buck
I've noticed that Jasmine seems to be breathing fast as though she is panting and her nose is constantly twitching when she does this. She is eating and washing herself and Jake and seems to be quite active. I've made an appointment for the vets but its not till 5.10pm. I dont think its normal as she dosnt normally do this. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

She could be warmer than usual or there could be something stressing her. As long as she is eating, drinking and behaving otherwise normally, you should be fine waiting till 5pm.

My Boris has snuffles and the first symptom he displayed was increased breathing rate, followed by coughing & sneezing. I'd definitely get her looked at by a vet. Stuff like that can be hard to get rid of if left untreated for very long :(

Just got back from the vets and he listened to her chest and it is noisy but because she is still eating and quite active he thinks it is more likely to be an allergy to something but has given her antibiotics just incase. So, now I am worried about where they live. Last winter I put them in the summer house but this winter I have put their hutch in the bike shed for shelter. It has been difficult keeping the rain out as during the day I have to leave the door open for access. So, I think there might be a damp atmosphere in there. I thought their bedding was staying dry. At night when I close the door there are gaps around the edge which I thought was giving them ventilation but obviously not enough.
I dont know how everyone else copes with outside hutches but I think I am going to put them back in the summerhouse.
Jacks-Jane, yes she is a rex. Why?

Just got back from the vets and he listened to her chest and it is noisy but because she is still eating and quite active he thinks it is more likely to be an allergy to something but has given her antibiotics just incase. So, now I am worried about where they live. Last winter I put them in the summer house but this winter I have put their hutch in the bike shed for shelter. It has been difficult keeping the rain out as during the day I have to leave the door open for access. So, I think there might be a damp atmosphere in there. I thought their bedding was staying dry. At night when I close the door there are gaps around the edge which I thought was giving them ventilation but obviously not enough.
I dont know how everyone else copes with outside hutches but I think I am going to put them back in the summerhouse.
Jacks-Jane, yes she is a rex. Why?

Because rapid breathing can also be indicative of a heart problem and Rexes are prone to Heart Disease. All cases I have seen initially presented with just increased respiratory rate, in all other ways the Rabbit appeared to be 'well'. If your Rabbit does not improve after the course of antibiotics I would discuss the possibility of Heart problems with your Vet.

:( I didnt know that about rexes. I know they have sensitive hocks not not heart problems. I have 4 rexes. Is it a genetic thing or is there anything I can do to prevent them having problems? Is it something they are born with or do they develop problems later in life? I have another appointment booked for next Friday to see if it clears up with the antibiotics and a change in housing. She'll be 3 in the spring. I hope shes okay.

:( I didnt know that about rexes. I know they have sensitive hocks not not heart problems. I have 4 rexes. Is it a genetic thing or is there anything I can do to prevent them having problems? Is it something they are born with or do they develop problems later in life? I have another appointment booked for next Friday to see if it clears up with the antibiotics and a change in housing. She'll be 3 in the spring. I hope shes okay.

IME it is usually a problem that occurs in Rexes that are from a very in-bred line.

I dont know anything about their breeding line as I got all of them from people who didnt want them anymore not breeders. Do you think it might be a allergy? Do you think changing her living conditions might help? Lots of people keep their rabbits outside in hutches and hers is in a bike shed for extra protection. They have a lovely run out there. I dont know what to do.

I dont know anything about their breeding line as I got all of them from people who didnt want them anymore not breeders. Do you think it might be a allergy? Do you think changing her living conditions might help? Lots of people keep their rabbits outside in hutches and hers is in a bike shed for extra protection. They have a lovely run out there. I dont know what to do.

Ventilation is important, so if the shed is poorly ventilated that may be an issue. I dont know if the problem is an allergy, allergic asthma can occur.

I would follow your Vet's advice and then go back for the check-up next week :)

Sorry if this sounds silly but how do you know if a shed has got good ventilation? There are small gaps around the doors and I thought this would be enough in the winter. I didnt want it to be draughty for them but do you think I should drill holes just under the roof. Their hay is all dry and so is their bedding. Cant find any mould spores. I could cut a window out of one of the walls but again I didnt want it to get cold and draughty in there.
The other alternative is to house them in the summer house and nick abit of the chickens run for the rabbits. Is it a good idea to have rabbits and chickens side by side?

Sorry if this sounds silly but how do you know if a shed has got good ventilation? There are small gaps around the doors and I thought this would be enough in the winter. I didnt want it to be draughty for them but do you think I should drill holes just under the roof. Their hay is all dry and so is their bedding. Cant find any mould spores. I could cut a window out of one of the walls but again I didnt want it to get cold and draughty in there.
The other alternative is to house them in the summer house and nick abit of the chickens run for the rabbits. Is it a good idea to have rabbits and chickens side by side?

Personally I would not want to keep the two species in the same environment

Ventilation needs to allow a good air exchange without allowing actual drafts or damp. Ventilation Grates, like those fitted to external walls of houses, would work. Or small windows that can be left very slightly open.

Is she still breathing fast ?

Yes. She just keeps sitting outside. It is so worrying. :( I keep thinking that the vet would have listened to her heart yesterday - wouldnt he? When I gave her, her antibiotics this morning she struggled (expected), so I wrapped her in a towel. When I put her back in her run she just sat there breathing fast. Usually she'd run off as she can be abit skittish and dosnt like being held. She is eating and washing though which is good. Because I dont know whats wrong I dont know how to remedy the situation which is hard. Its just a waiting game. If its her enviroment that is causing her the problem then I need to move her or adapt it.

Yes. She just keeps sitting outside. It is so worrying. :( I keep thinking that the vet would have listened to her heart yesterday - wouldnt he? When I gave her, her antibiotics this morning she struggled (expected), so I wrapped her in a towel. When I put her back in her run she just sat there breathing fast. Usually she'd run off as she can be abit skittish and dosnt like being held. She is eating and washing though which is good. Because I dont know whats wrong I dont know how to remedy the situation which is hard. Its just a waiting game. If its her enviroment that is causing her the problem then I need to move her or adapt it.

I think you need to get her seen again today. She may need additional medication as well as the antibiotics. I honestly dont think this can wait til the follow-up appointment next week.

I am concerned that she *might* actually have pneumonia. If she has a build up of fluid on her lungs she will need a diuretic to shift it. Otherwise her breathing will get worse and worse :cry:

I would contact the Vet again today

Back