• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

ARGH! Bunny Destruction, What Do I Do?

nessar

Warren Veteran
Barney and Annabella dont destroy things, they just dont. Annabelle has the odd nibble and Barney has the odd strop when he cant get where he wants - but theyre not destructive. But yesterday I found this:

SAM_2452.jpg

So they stayed in their pen today, let them out tonight, only 3 hours were unsupervised, and I just found this when I was going to bed.... I dont think it shows in the pic just how obvious it is.
SAM_2451.jpg

So how the hell do I disguise these? The carpet and furniture are the landlords, and he is coming to do an inspection in the next few days.... HELP!

Oops. I usually find shutting them away makes the destruction worse as they show their displeasure afterwards by doing more of the thing that got them the attention in the first place. So i try to anticipate it before it happens.

No help with the landlord though :(

Carpet: Can you put something really heavy he won't want to move in that corner? If nothing else, a big stack of books that looks awkward to move might do the trick.

Bed: Probably varnish. If you're worried about matching the shade, try them out on the underside of the frame where it would never be visible. If that seems too much, some sort of flouncy drapey fabric? Or just hang clothes over it?

Old English furniture polish makes a scratch cover. You could try it and see if it works. From the picture it doesn't look that bad so might. Put a plant on the hole in the carpet. If it was me I'd wait until I was moving out in case they decide to destroy something before that date then replace the carpet. If you can find a carpet piece that matches you could cut and glue a piece into the carpet to mend it. I did that when Julie ate the carpet and it didn't look the best but was better than it was.

I'm not too worried about the carpet as of yet, as its not visible unless you actually look down the side of the sideboard. But it needs fixing before I move obviously. I cant satisfactorily bunny proof it though without moving the sideboard, because the length of the NIC panels, its hard to explain, so I just have the bendy log things there (which they managed to move :( . I cant move the furniture up because it has this pointless pipe there.... here it is:
SAM_2455.jpg

I'm more worried about the bed, it is SO obvious. I dont know whether sanding and then revarnishing would make it look better or worse :(

How do the filler stick things work?

Oops. I usually find shutting them away makes the destruction worse as they show their displeasure afterwards by doing more of the thing that got them the attention in the first place. So i try to anticipate it before it happens.

No help with the landlord though :(

This is what I'm worried about :( I had no choice today as I was going to be out for 12 hours due to work so couldnt risk it after yesterday, but the more I keep them in the more frustrated they get. Never-ending circle isnt it!

I think they hate being confined to this room. It is around 10x13ft which I know is 'big' compared to a lot of bunny accommodation but there is furniture (obviously) which takes up space. It is a lot smaller than my old room, and we never had any destruction there, despite loose carpet and holes in the carpet (from the previous tenants) everywhere. But they cant go in the lounge as when they were in there they weed on the white sofas, and they are scared of the hall because it is laminate flooring.

I think they just need a lot more space than normal buns.

Old English furniture polish makes a scratch cover. You could try it and see if it works. From the picture it doesn't look that bad so might. Put a plant on the hole in the carpet. If it was me I'd wait until I was moving out in case they decide to destroy something before that date then replace the carpet. If you can find a carpet piece that matches you could cut and glue a piece into the carpet to mend it. I did that when Julie ate the carpet and it didn't look the best but was better than it was.

The picture doesnt show it well, but its not just the colouring gone, they've gouged into the side and changed the style of the wood, even if I fixed the colour it would be painfully obvious :(

The picture doesnt show it well, but its not just the colouring gone, they've gouged into the side and changed the style of the wood, even if I fixed the colour it would be painfully obvious :(

Not sure it it would work with stained wood but Julie did that to the baseboards. I used caulk to fill in the missing wood. I applied a thin layer at a time allowing each layer to harden before putting on the next then I painted it when it was even. The base boards are white though and you can't tell at all. I wonder it you could use wood filler. Oh yeah and I lightly sanded each layer so it was smooth. It was time consuming but worked.

Back