• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My vague attempt at needlefelting,..... UD P8

TeflonsShadow

Wise Old Thumper
Ok, please bare in mind that I have not been taught to needle felt.....other than being told to 'stab' and keep on stabbing lol.

First, I made a bunny;

7ebc5bee.jpg

Then, I made two collies from the flyball team. The eyes haven't been done yet, I am hoping for some glass ones!

Collie one, seen here:

27e76c58.jpg

0b4fab1e.jpg

Collie two: seen here

2a8bac1f.jpg

202fb87d.jpg

Together

abdb6ecf.jpg

They're totally terrible but its a start. My poor index finger has turned into a pin cushon! :-/

Last edited:
They're really good :wave:

I'm not sure what 'needlefelting' looks like but they look really good to me

They're really good :wave:

I'm not sure what 'needlefelting' looks like but they look really good to me

Basically.....you know fleece off a sheep? Well, you wash it, then brush it into threads (carding) and then poke it with a needle lots to make shapes..... Its quite hard! :lol: and time consuming. These are BASICALLY made from coloured fluff.....

I've not tried needlefelting. And since I have fleeces (and the sheep they come off) and need to start doing something with the fleeces (apart from spinning.... which I am very bad at :( ) needlefelting could be the thing to try.

Love your collies...

I've not tried needlefelting. And since I have fleeces (and the sheep they come off) and need to start doing something with the fleeces (apart from spinning.... which I am very bad at :( ) needlefelting could be the thing to try.

Love your collies...

I must warn you.... It hurts!!!

The "crouching ready to play" pose is amazing! :thumb:

Do you have access to plenty of fleece?

My friend has four pet sheep ^.^ Shes never had a use for the fleeces so kept a few..... she has 3 white ones and 1 black one.... but the black is more grey/brown by the time you start felting with it.

We bought the coloured wool off a local supplier.

I've got Ouessant sheep - the base of the fleece (next to the skin) really is black. If I remember, I'll look some out and send you a photo - just a handful! not an entire fleece. Then if you want some, I can mail it to you next time I'm back in the UK to see if you can work with it.

This blog belongs to a friend of mine who has a big flock of Ouessants and it shows you some of the things she makes with the wool. The things she makes with the wool are stunning.

http://spinningshepherd.blogspot.com/

I've seen this shawl and it is unbelievably light and fine.

I've got Ouessant sheep - the base of the fleece (next to the skin) really is black. If I remember, I'll look some out and send you a photo - just a handful! not an entire fleece. Then if you want some, I can mail it to you next time I'm back in the UK to see if you can work with it.

This blog belongs to a friend of mine who has a big flock of Ouessants and it shows you some of the things she makes with the wool. The things she makes with the wool are stunning.

http://spinningshepherd.blogspot.com/

I've seen this shawl and it is unbelievably light and fine.

Those sheep are stunning and their fleeces look amazing! :love: Thank you, I would love a go with a bit of their wool. :love: When you back over in the UK then? :lol:

Those sheep are stunning and their fleeces look amazing! :love: Thank you, I would love a go with a bit of their wool. :love: When you back over in the UK then? :lol:
They are very sweet. They are known as the world's smallest sheep and we have them because some of our land is very steep, would be impossible to manage with a mower or even a strimmer... so we have four-footed strimmers. ;) They're a primitive breed from the Isle of Ouessant (Ushant) off the Brittany coast.

These aren't ours (ours are all black except for a white-ish caramel ewe) but they give you an idea of what personalities Ouessants have. Ours all come when we call... at about the same speed! Starts about 42 seconds into the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSvTZOw6NHc

I'm back over during the second half of January. I'll send you a photo of the wool and you can say if want some and if so, you can PM me your address and I'll mail some when I'm back - postage will be cheaper in the UK.

Last edited:
Back