• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ok mummy had babies yesterday morning....

brutalbaby

Warren Scout
I'm so proud she has done it all on her own, whilst me and the hubby was sleeping. I have looked into the nest after using her scent from the dirt tray and lifted her fur to reveal what I can see at the moment about 5 kits. I will be tomorrow taking the kits out to check that they are all healthy and how many there is, I didn't want to do this to early as its my first litter and didn't want to get in mums way. Unfortunately this morning when I saw mum there was one dead kit out of the nest on the run floor, The kit look deformed as had no facial features and I believe that mum had given birth to this one last night on its own, could it had been a still born?

Ok I have done a lot of research on caring for mum and babies and now how to care for them from talking to a lot of you guys and reading on-line and in books from other breeders. I just would like to know any opinions on how to care for them further from experienced people? And if any one knows or has had a still born, deformed kit like I did :( thank you x

Well done mummy bunny.

I suspect she had that kit out the nest knowing it wasn't ;quite right'. I've had a bunny have two deformed babies before. They were sharing a placenta (mum didn't eat the placentas so we could work this out) and neither was properly formed although one was more formed than the other.

I hope mummy feeds them tonight and that tomorrow they all look like they swallowed ping pong balls.

Good luck :)

Thank you very much. AS its my first time, i believe I should check on the babies but I need to know how healthy they are and how many I actually have lol. Was sad to see the poor dead kit though:(

You're doing the right thing by checking on them :) Tomorrow you need to ensure they all look like they swallowed a pingpong ball and that all their umbilical wounds look like they are healing well (yup, baby bunnies have belly buttons too :lol:). We handled ours from day two with no problems- just keep an eye on mum and ensure she is not bothered by what you're doing.

Ok i've just checked the babies, and I have 4. All very wiggerly and jumpy lol. Theres 3 black (daddies genes are obviously stronger) and one pink with black spots looks like mummy. The little pink one im slightly worried about as it seems more thinner and smaller compared to the rest. They look healthy and have some round tummies, not as big as I thought and was hoping so I will keep an eye on them every day. They felt very warm in temperature though when I got them out of the nest so that was nice to know. Heres a video of the little things, so you guys can see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=H9Mrg7wc220

They are very cute.

None of them particularly look like they have been recetly fed, and the butterfly does look smaller.

Are you giving mum unlimited pellets?

I wouldn't advise bringing them out and having them like that. Either do it in a second nest, or use your hands. the reason they were so wriggly is because they are looking for their nest, each other, mum and/or warmth. If not found that can cause anxiety and those things stick and you obviously don't want to raise anxious bunnies, so for next time, just either hold them in your hands, or get a show box and make a second nest to put them in.

Hopefully mummy bunnies milk will properly come in now and all will start to look more fed.

ive been giving mum 3 bowls of food a day, this being pellets. as well as fresh greens and carrots. what should I do now just keep a close on the babies to see if they are being fed? I only took them out of the nest as the hutch is so dark and the nest is so deep I couldn't see in properly and I didn't want to shine a torch on them. thank you for your advice :)

Daily checks are important, but it's probably worth keeping them in the nest until mum has given them a good feed, then you can continue to get them out and stroke them if mum is not objectionable to this :)

If they have been recently fed they will literally look like they swallowed pingpong balls and be really round and fat, hopefully. Keep a close eye on the little one because you might have to help mum give it an extra feed.

how can I help mum give her an extra feed? I have seen some videos where u hold mum and let the little one attach on. but mum doesn't really like being flipped over or picked up as such.

In that situation probably the best thing to do would be to take the other kits out the nest (into a second nest) stand mum over the nest, give mum treaty noms to help relax her, and let the kit feed.

Is this mum's first litter? If not, she will likely know exactly what to do anyway.

Is she your tidy girl or your messy girl?

yeah I could try it that way, ill see how the kits are tomorrow before I intervene I think, this is my clean girl thankfully and yes its her first time.

Keep an eye and check them tonight but yes, you don't need to intervene until after 48 hours after birth.

Ok babies look the same as they did yesterday, so that's a good thing I suppose as they are actually getting fed.... but still not enough. I tried putting food in there and getting mum to stand over the top but she was very moany and I didn't want to stress her or harm the babies.... Do you think I should try the kitten milk and syringe method? Slightly worried :cry:

Kitten's milk is not ok for bunnies so don't use that. There is no indication to supplement at the moment because they are being fed. If they stop being fed or mum is not producing milk then they need help, but until then you need to try and help mum do it herself.

When you say she was 'moany' what do you mean?

(I read and replied to your other thread before reading this one, sorry)

Back