• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What should I do?

Hoppit!

Wise Old Thumper
Pickles is a bit off colour today. I put him out in the shed (don't worry, it's heated!) this morning at around 9:30 before I went to work, with 3 big piles of fresh green oat hay and a bowl of fresh readigrass. When I got back from work and brought him in at 5:30 he hadn't touched it and I saw he'd only done about 5 droppings all day. My sister had a look at him but she couldn't see his teeth properly because he was 'champing' the otoscope too hard, and she listened to his tummy which she said was quieter than it should be, but that they always are quieter when they're stressed. I offered him some basil which he did eat, but only because he was cross and biting it (if that makes sense!) he's also nibbled the fleshy part of some cucumber and had a few leaves of spinach/rocket/watercress. He's not showing any interest in his hay in here either.

My sister says she can take him in tomorrow for a dental, but as it's her last day that's it then until the new year. I am reluctant to put him through one unnecessarily though, especially just before Christmas. Should I bite the bullet and have his teeth done (he hasn't had them done in over a year, but he's not showing any signs of needing one apart from being off his food) or keep him going on pellets (I'm sure he'd eat them - he loves them!) until the new year and decide then?

I feel so torn. Obviously I don't want him to suffer, but he's a good weight, he's not tooth grinding or dribbling, he doesn't have runny eyes and he's not pawing at his mouth - there's really no other signs that he needs a dental. BUT he has been less keen on his hay for a while now, and he's been leaving some of his veg in favour off pellets too, which are signs.

What would you do in my situation?

Last edited:
When mine need a dental I rarely see any of those signs you listed at the bottom. Normally I notice a lesser change than what you described and that is the sign they need a dental. I would likely have mine have a dental if they needed one and were showing that behaviour.

That said, you need to follow your gut instinct and what it says to do. What does your gut instinct say about him?

Back