• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My Rabbit stopped eating. Any suggestions?

hercules1

New Kit
He is a 6 month old Netherland Dwarf 2.7 pounds. I boarded him for 4 days (same place).I picked him up noticed he had't eaten much so I waited 1 1/2 days then took him to his vet.He couldn't feel any blockages His advice feed him vanilla yogurt,pineapple juice,baytril Dr. gave me,and try baby food in a jar(which I have not tried yet).I did have some luck with the pineapple juice,baytril,yogurt.He has a few droppins less than 10 the whole day or night is active when I let him out. Is there a laxative I should try or something else. Any suggestions??

Where are you in the world?

Feeding a rabbit yogurt is not something you'd want to do, as they are dairy intollerant.

Has the vet mentioned any pain relief, or gut stimulants or blockages?

Last edited:
He needs to see the vet (quite probably a different one with a better knowledge of rabbits). He probably needs gut stimulant drugs (NOT laxatives) and to be syringe fed with proper food for rabbits.

I suspect the vet mentioned yoghurt because rabbits need their gut bacteria built back up in a situation like this. But the bacteria in yoghurt aren't the right ones for rabbit guts (though they are for humans, dogs and cats). The right ones can be found in a supplement called Biolapis which is mixed with water.

Rabbits' guts need to keep moving for them to stay alive, so it's important food keeps going through him. Stasis is an emergency.
Can you try and take him to the vet tonight.

I second what Vita and Graham have said.

Have you tried tempting him with his favourite foods? You could try some dry oats, as these are quite tasty for buns.

It is very important to get him to a vet asap to have some cisapride (or simliar) prescribed.

Hope he gets well soon!

Agree with the other posts.
Statis- which is when a rabbit stops eating they suffer from a GI slowdown or complete stop is extremely dangerous and if not treated properly and swiftly it can cost a rabbits life in a short space of time.
Rabbits guts have to be continualy on the move food in-poops out-food in, you get the jist.
In situations like this a vet should palpatate the abdomen to check for any blockages and if none are found they should be administered the following:

Metacloprimide- Gut stimulant
Pain relief- Our vet uses Ketofen, but Metacam can also be used
Sub Q Fluids- Fluids under the skin

And you should be sent home with:

Recovery food- A special mix designed for herbivours
Fiberplex- A fibre dose
Bio Lapis- Gut bacteria balance

Best of luck and please do get your bun to a rabbit savvy vet asap.

Last edited:
Back