• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Interstitial Cystitis

This is what our Little Oscar could have (but cant rule out bacterial cystitis). Does anyone have any idea what this is and what could cause it (layman terms).
I would have asked Jason (our vet) but didnt go with Rich, as i had to go to work. Rich has the memory of a goldfish, and had to ask Jason to write down what it was for me:roll::lol:.

I have looked on the internet, and all i can find is info that i really dont understand (you would have to be a vet to understand it), and study's where they infect rabbits kidney's then harvest the kidneys :cry: (i really cant bear to read it) and more technical talk.

I would just like to know if its something im doing, or could prevent happening. We have totally cut out the kale from all 4 of our buns diets now, could this be what has caused it?.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm sorry I can't help, I don't know anything about it. I hope someone else can answer your questions. Sending lots of vibes for Oscar xx

AFAIK the causes of Interstitial Cystitis are not really known :?

What makes the Vet think that it is the problem rather than more common UT problems ?

AFAIK the causes of Interstitial Cystitis are not really known :?

What makes the Vet think that it is the problem rather than more common UT problems ?

I really don't know, i wish id of been able to go to the appt:(. Rich got Jason to write it down (interstitial cystitis, but couldn't rule out bacterial cystitis) along with the meds we need to give him, metoclop, baytril, metacam, ranitadine (we had been giving him these since the 11th, i think) and a new one cystaid, also add ribena to his water.
Little Oscar has been his 'normal self, running around, eating, just going mad', since tues. Im still worried because it comes on so suddenly, within the hour, one minute he is ok and the next he isnt:(.

Back