• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Burying herself in hay?

newbabybuns

Warren Veteran
I noticed this morning Frankie had hay all over her head, thought she'd just been on a forage mission for the dried dandelions I'd sprinkled. Thought nothing of it, except she'd almost got a nest like shape round her, hay was all bunched up at the sides but not how she would normally make a nest. Just thought it could be how she slept. Now I've just gone out and checked on them again and she was sat with a big pile of hay on her head, I don't even know how she has done it as it was flat on the floor. It was done very quickly aswell, she's not been bunching hay in her mouth or shredding paper at all, like normal nest building. It's as if she wants to just cover herself up. This is her normal sleepy time of day so they are all quiet now anyway, but she has never done this before :?

She's quiet, not eating much pellets but is eating hay and greens. The pellets are now the SS 20% extra fibre so perhaps she isn't quite so keen on the taste, although she ate them the other day. She's not cold as she is in the conservatory and has an oil filled radiator in there to take the chill of the air. She's been a bit down since we brought the Christmas tree in, she thumps at it, and hasn't liked the room being changed round. Is this some sort of depression thing do you think??

The born worrier in me remembers reading other buns sometimes cover ones that have died up in hay, and it's making me worry she knows something I do not :( Any ideas anyone??

Is she neutered? If not she may be experiencing a real or phantom pregnancy hence the nest building.

Is the tree real? Pine needles are acidic and can be harmful if ingested. The height and shape of the tree might scare her.

I would first suggest a health check (preferably before this weekend) to ensure she isn't struggling with something like a dental problem.

If she is not feeling 100% she might be burying herself to help her keep warm. It could just be that she is entertaining herself or during the cold weather she found she quite liked doing that with the hay and it helped her stay warm.

Most likely it is behavioural, but it's always important to rule out the physical before presuming it is behavioural.

No she's not neutured yet. When her sisters went for theirs she just wasn't healthy enough, I can't remember why now, but there was something putting us off. It's almost as if it isn't a nest though, just plonking it on her head and sitting quietly.

Yes it is a real tree, but she can't get at it to eat needles as we block it off, she is a brave explorer bunny, but does get scared of odd things at times (me waving my arms to the Steps dances while sat on the sofa, typing fast on the laptop, but slowly is fine, they've both got thumps from her) the tree must look like a big dark thing in the corner to her, so understandable, it also it smells strong (lovely) to me, but perhaps she can sense it is bad for her?

Hmmm. I knew this month was going too well for not having any bunny issues!!

I would first suggest a health check (preferably before this weekend) to ensure she isn't struggling with something like a dental problem.

If she is not feeling 100% she might be burying herself to help her keep warm. It could just be that she is entertaining herself or during the cold weather she found she quite liked doing that with the hay and it helped her stay warm.

Most likely it is behavioural, but it's always important to rule out the physical before presuming it is behavioural.

That is true. Really hope she is not suffering with something. I will change her litter corner in a minute to measure her output as so far that's still normal. She does big bumbles so very easy to see when they get smaller if something isn't quite right. It only started when she discovered the room changes, so I really think it is to do with that. Lola thought it was brilliant exploring different bits, and binkying round but Frankie just was not happy. Really expected it to be the other way round.

Hopefully when she gets out of her sleepy time she will be back to normal. I do worry an awful lot with them, bordering on anxiety :oops::oops: I think which is odd as I am known for being a calm chilled person normally but have odd anxious dreams about the bunnies, and when ill with flu last year my temperature made me go a bit delirious and I rang my OH crying my eyes out that Cookie's legs weren't working. (They were!) I don't know why it presents itself to do with them, it has never in the past with bridge buns :(

Back