• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

One new rabbit, and one rehomed. Could be controversial!

BexPets

Warren Scout
We've effectively stolen someone's rabbit.

We have these neighbours who delight in buying animals when they're cute and giving them away when they're not. They have gone through numerous puppies, kittens, birds, hamsters, snakes, rabbits, guinea pigs and chickens. The escape and mortality rate is high, and almost none of the animals have been to a vet. They had walked their last dog so little that she had aggression and serious back and leg problems that resulted in her having to be sent away to an owner who could give her physical therapy. Our neighbours phoned the RSPCA for their cat who was never fed, let inside or groomed, and looked constantly ill.

Anyway, they are down to a dog and a rabbit now (that I know of), after having over thirty pets over the last year. This rabbit's sister recently starved to death.

A neighbour found a rabbit under her shed and came to ask if it was mine, and I recognized the 7 year old lop immediately. She had been living in a different home over the last 2 years because this family was bored of her, but they recently posted on facebook that after taking their two rabbits back and one of them had died, and the other was missing and presumed dead. Over the summer I'd been cleaning the hutch for them and helping them catch the rabbit too frequently to count, I asked if I could take her and her sister, but they said no.

It was 9 o'clock at night, there were fireworks going off and it was pouring with rain. It took over an hour to catch the terrified rabbit and bring her back to my spare hutch. She's too old to be spayed unfortunately, has been bred numerous times but I'm going to get her vaccinated.

In short, I've decided to keep her and call her Galaxy.

Now, the rest of the story. This is Dinah and Minstrel:
SAM_7712.jpg

Both are rescues, spayed and castrated, fully vaccinated, and were paired a few months ago when Dinah's parents fought with her. Minstrel was our only spare male at the time, but is a docile, subdued 5 year old Dutch, whereas Dinah is an energetic 3 year old Rex. The pair bonded easily but have always been very distant and unconnected. It was difficult to give them a hutch and run suitable for Dinah's unlimited confidence and Minstrel's senility and need for warmth and security.

Someone asked us if we had a spare female to go with their rescue male, and, since we'd just acquired Galaxy, we decided to split Dinah and Minstrel and give her away.

The other times we have re-homed neutered rabbits, we received no more than £10, and were delighted when these new owners fell in love with Dinah and gave us £50 towards our next round of vacs.

Dinah and her new friend, Oikey, have been successfully introduced and have free range of a patio garden.
And Minstrel and Galaxy were best friends after one meeting and are happily spending their days dozing and moving at their own steady pace.

I don't think she is too old to be spayed :) unless she has health problems. I know when I had Poppy spayed on Friday I was worried she was too old at 4 but Jack's-Jane had an 11 year old spayed (I think) and a 9 year old(?) (Again, I can't remember lol) but she really reassured me :)

They sound like horrible people.. :shock::evil:

Back