• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone sucessfully grow herbs?

megansmummy

Mama Doe
from the supermarket plants? sainsburys had corriander plants reduced to 25p last night, so naturally I cleared the shelf and bought all 7 :) Even if they dont regrow then they are cheaper than buying the packets! But i have tried to get these to grow before and they didnt :?

The only one that I've had any luck with was the curly parsley. I bought a plant in the springtime and it's still going strong.

Louie's favourite is corriander but that plant gave up after a couple of months!

Yes! I buy them at the supermarket and plant them out in pots and they last about 6 weeks. Parsley is an incredibly thirsty plant to has to be well watered. The only thing that fails is coriander, can never get that to last, but parsley, mint and basil are ok.

Ooooh forgot to say, if you can get hold of Lemon Balm that spreads like crazy and Louie loves it!

In the summer the parsley plants grow like mad. I don't know how you would grow them in winter. It's bi-annual so if it regrows it may just flower.
Coriander is annual but if you repot it or move it, it will just flower so I don't bother with it.
The dill plant I bought from morrisons was really good, although it was in a bad state and the current leaves died, it did regrow. That was in summer/autumn though, I don't think it would grow any more.

I have never managed to keep the supermarket ones alive very long. I did get some plug plants from the rabbit nutrition eBay shop last year though and they are doing brilliantly!

My basil is growing really well. I also found that not a herb but nasturiums grow really well and are easy to grow :wave:

Shop bought herb pots tend not to do well on a sunny windowcill etc because they've been grown in artificial conditions to make maximum even growth in the minimum amount of time. When they are taken away from their life support system, they don't necessarily do that well and if placed in sunshine, their leaves are too soft to take it (applies particularly to basil) and they bleach, burn and die.

Many herbs are easy to grow from seed - use a good quality seed compost and cover with clingfilm till they germinate. Then either grow them on on a windowcill, balcony or in the garden. Parsley and chervil can be a bit slow to germinate but there is a perennial parsley which is rampant when planted in the garden and my two buns love it. Rosemary and sage strike from cuttings very easily.

Back