• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Other than coccidia, which infections cause diarrhoea?

Vita

Mama Doe
I have been thinking back over the vet treatment that poor little Beatrix had and what can be learned.

I wish I had said on Monday, "Please treat her for infection just in case". But I don't know which infections those might be, other than coccidiosis. Also if some of the drugs for those infections could make other similar ones worse.

(The vet said the cause was most probably a gut dysbiosis. The young vet at the emergency vets practice appeared to bow to his opinion; he is known as the best vet in town for rabbits. I found myself wishing she'd questioned it and tried some sort of antibiotic as well as the fluids and metaclopramide "as it wouldn't do any harm".)

Of course, we don't know for certain how Beatrix died, though hopefully the PM results will shed some light on this.

Last edited:
If it was dysbiosis then this could lead to a build up of clostridium, this would cause an acute enteritis which is frequently fatal, especially in young Rabbits

This link will explain, including treatment options. But sadly even with treatment the mortality rate is very high :cry:

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/Clostridial_enteritis_rabbits.htm

Dysbiosis can occur for a number of reasons, including dietary issues (too much carbohydrate, sugary food etc) and not enough fibre (hay). Antibiotic therapy can also be a cause, especially oral antibiotics or antibiotics such as Depocillin which would ALWAYS be given by injection but is a 'higher risk' antibiotic with regards to gut dysbiosis.

Dysbiosis can occur for a number of reasons, including dietary issues (too much carbohydrate, sugary food etc) and not enough fibre (hay). Antibiotic therapy can also be a cause, especially oral antibiotics or antibiotics such as Depocillin which would ALWAYS be given by injection but is a 'higher risk' antibiotic with regards to gut dysbiosis.

Thanks again Jane.

I remember reading that now and that I was reluctant to push for antibiotics because of it, in case her problem *was* dysbiosis, and they made her worse. I wish I'd asked more on here at the time and found out *which* antibiotics were risky for it.

Most of all I wish I'd listened to myself at about 5 or 6pm on Monday wondering whether I should have take her back to the vets to be admitted. (I remain sceptical about the quality of care at the emergency vet practice, so I still doubt I'd have left her there. But if I'd taken her back to the main vets on Monday evening before they closed, the question wouldn't have arisen.)
I often default to thinking "It'll probably be alright," but I see more than ever that with rabbits that that may not apply and you need to listen to your most cautious instincts.

ETA: The vet who did the PM is calling me with preliminary findings today.

Although Thumper has currently had a unique illness in buns. The things which helped him have helped many, many other buns with dysbiosis, & stasis.
As Jane has (as always) so rightly said, clostridia cause a fulminant, usually fatal enteritis in young buns. So many microorganisms normally live in the rabbit gut, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack to pin point the many offenders. All we can do is to optimise the diet to encourage normal microorganisms, & keep it under control.
ETA Also it is very difficult to isolate the pathogen in rabbit faeces because many cling to the gut wall & are only shed intermitantly.

For mild cases of "mucky bum" there is no substitute for the standard treatment of hay only diet followed by the readjustments.
For more difficult cases there is a very old almost forgotten remedy, which both works, & is used by wild rabbits particularly in spring when their grass & plants are very high in nutrients. That is bramble/blackberry leaves.
Wild rabbits are seen not only doing this, but very determined to do so by actually climbing in a thorney bramble thicket.(WARNING turn off the sound cos the music is "bright eyes") http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6zRr_EpyNE Suitable brambles can be found most of the year & even in cities.

About 2 years ago Pretty Lupin noticed an association between certain cheaper supermarket veg & a rapid increase of dysbiosis with stasis on RU. in late Autumn. We put up a thread together to try to assess the problem but the numbers of responders were too small to be statistically significant. We suspected chlorination to prolong shelf life to be the potential cause.

Thumper showed me a grading of potency of tree/shrub leaves to keep dysbiosis non responsive to standard methods & stasis under control.
From least potent to top potency:
1) Apple leaves -2) hawthorn leaves -3) bramble/raspberry leaves -4) blackthorn leaves (Difficult to get when potent)
I believe that Blackthorn is also eaten by wild buns. It has been used very successfully in prolonged stasis on RU, & for Thumper's problems, but as it is not a traditional remedy, I have advised great caution with long term use, on theoretical grounds. We may have further information in the next few weeks.

I am truely sorry for your loss Vita. I deeply regret that for obvious reasons I have not been on RU much recently.
The vets don't know about this approach yet, because they haven't done any formal research.
I resorted to old means in desperation to help Thumps, expanded it & waited until it had helped us for 3 years without adverse effects, & my lovely vet had had success before going public on RU.

I'm trying to say please don't blame yourself, I'm referring to old threads, but also please don't despair that dysbiosis is untreatable.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for all that info thumps :)

Beatrix was her usual happy and highly energetic self on Sunday night. I found her on Monday morning facing the wall with a pool of diarrhoea beside her, and Ada was keeping to the other side of the pen. Beatrix rallied somewhat a few times - and on one occasion on Monday afternoon produced a single normal dropping, but otherwise the diarrhoea never stopped until she died at the vets early on Wednesday afternoon. She only ate of her own accord once or twice in that time.

It was particularly shocking as she had always seemed substantially tougher than Ada and more resistant to illnesses.

As Jane has (as always) so rightly said, clostridia cause a fulminant, usually fatal enteritis in young buns. So many microorganisms normally live in the rabbit gut, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack to pin point the many offenders. All we can do is to optimise the diet to encourage normal microorganisms, & keep it under control.
ETA Also it is very difficult to isolate the pathogen in rabbit faeces because many cling to the gut wall & are only shed intermitantly.

About 2 years ago Pretty Lupin noticed an association between certain cheaper supermarket veg & a rapid increase of dysbiosis with stasis on RU. in late Autumn. We put up a thread together to try to assess the problem but the numbers of responders were too small to be statistically significant. We suspected chlorination to prolong shelf life to be the potential cause.

I had been feeding supermarket herbs and rocket.

They have never had junk treats, and only one one occasion did they get too much fruit or veg - and that was on the day I brought them home (a whole carrot between them). They've had a really good diet compared to so many pet rabbits, with lots of hay of different types, dried herbs and only a small quantity of pellets. (I realise this may come across as defensive which isn't the intention - just responding to points earlier in the thread. Though I was surprised by the diagnosis, as I'd been so careful with their diet.)

And, this I really do regret, I had stopped giving them Biolapis in a bowl a few days earlier, and had been feeding it all to Ada through a syringe following her spay. If Beatrix had still been drinking it, it could have prevented the bacterial imbalance that led to dysbiosis - if that is indeed what killed her. If I had got round to ordering a large quantity sooner then she would have still had some.

You know Vita, it's so easy to fall into the trap of being "wise after the event". I can't fault the diet.
Bunnies shouldn't need continuous probiotics, just a short boost while having ABx or to push things in the right direction. I can't fault you there either.
Personally if possible I think it's best to care for buns at home if at all possible, if you can be there for them. There's little point at a vets unless there are staff attending to them through the night. They can get very stressed if there are dogs & cats nearby, as well as changed environment. The stress affects their ability to fight any illness adversely.

Personally I would consider Beatrix's form of illness to be very severe indeed. I'm wondering whether the pm will show that some other issue was also a factor.

You know Vita, it's so easy to fall into the trap of being "wise after the event". I can't fault the diet.
Bunnies shouldn't need continuous probiotics, just a short boost while having ABx or to push things in the right direction. I can't fault you there either.
Personally if possible I think it's best to care for buns at home if at all possible, if you can be there for them. There's little point at a vets unless there are staff attending to them through the night. They can get very stressed if there are dogs & cats nearby, as well as changed environment. The stress affects their ability to fight any illness adversely.

Personally I would consider Beatrix's form of illness to be very severe indeed. I'm wondering whether the pm will show that some other issue was also a factor.

The gross PM findings showed only some minor changes to the heart and slight inflammation of the colon. Tissue samples and swabs have been sent off for analysis.

If a rabbit knows you well and you are experienced in giving medical care, I don't doubt that home care is best. But I was stressed and exhausted and having difficulty syringe feeding her and I wish I had asked them to admit her 18 hours earlier. They also had the incubator there which was vital as her temperature had fallen to 33 by the time she was admitted. I remember stroking her cold ears on Monday early evening and wondering about them. I wish I'd taken more notice of that. But as you say it's easy to be wise after the event.
It still seems vile that a little animal had to die for me to learn this though. :cry:

Last edited:
Please forgive my suggestion about home nursing. Yes, we can only do so much, I agree, & know that from personal experience.

Although the post mortem changes can look small, many gut pathogenic bacteria make toxins which poison the whole body, but leave no trace at pm.
I think one thing which might have been tried was subcutaneous fluids, & possibly questran. However this can also bind many drugs which might be needed for stasis, so it needs good vet judgement in its use.

Given the severity of her illness, I think it would have been touch & go with all the stops pulled out. I had not realised she was perfectly well on Sun. evening & ill with a pool of diarrhoea the next morning. Unfortunately rabbits can die from GI problems very quickly indeed; unlike us, or most other animal friends. Fortunately, we rarely see diarrhoeal illness of this severity on RU.

I honestly don't think that Beatrix died from lack of knowledge. You did your best with the information available at the time, as did your vet. We can do no more.

Please forgive my suggestion about home nursing. Yes, we can only do so much, I agree, & know that from personal experience.
I'm sorry if I came across badly there :) Many people are more than up to it, and I may have been up to it on a different day, but it was my biggest mistake to try and persevere with home nursing and not get her hospitalised much sooner. I have a feeling that the corner may have already been turned by the middle of the night as she hadn't eaten enough for so long (though at the time it seemed different as she became more energetic and strated digging), and that she should have gone in on Monday evening.

But the vet said initially that she could take 3 days to recover and I didn't ask about that in detail, about what to expect or what to look out for.
Because I know a lot about things I've researched, it's probably easy for vets to assume I know about other areas which I've read far less about, and so they might tell me less of the basic stuff than they would to some people. So I need to ASK (as if I don't al;ready ask enough bloody questions).
And she had got better from a previous bout of diarrhoea the day after I got her.
I was scared and worried but not 100%-this-is-real scared (if you see what I mean) because of that previous recovery and what the vet said about the 3 days.

Although the post mortem changes can look small, many gut pathogenic bacteria make toxins which poison the whole body, but leave no trace at pm.
I think one thing which might have been tried was subcutaneous fluids, & possibly questran. However this can also bind many drugs which might be needed for stasis, so it needs good vet judgement in its use.
No questran, but she had intra peritoneal fluids at the emergency vets and regular sub-cut when hospitalised.

Given the severity of her illness, I think it would have been touch & go with all the stops pulled out. I had not realised she was perfectly well on Sun. evening & ill with a pool of diarrhoea the next morning. Unfortunately rabbits can die from GI problems very quickly indeed; unlike us, or most other animal friends. Fortunately, we rarely see diarrhoeal illness of this severity on RU.

I honestly don't think that Beatrix died from lack of knowledge. You did your best with the information available at the time, as did your vet. We can do no more.
Maybe. I still don't know. Guilt and regret in moderation have their uses because they make us learn hard. But she died.
Your posts are reassuring though, and I don't feel I did anything *wrong* in stopping the Biolapis now (it was unfortunate, but most people would have done it and no one could have seen the consequences)

When I first took her in, they didn't follow any of the usual protocol for diarrhoea such as this: http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/squirts.pdf

They said it was because she hadn't been in contact with other rabbits (other than being near them in a carrier in the waiting room) since receiving Baycox a couple of months earlier. I had expected her to get antibiotics.
When she was admitted the next day I asked for her to have a coccidia test and to be given the medication as a precaution (she was given sulphonamides).

Not sure what the histology results will show, but I wonder if we'll ever know whether it was an infection or a sudden dysbiosis that killed her. I wish she could have been treated at the same time for both just in case.

Vita, we can all be trapped into the 'what if ....' and 'if only ....'. I know - I had to have a beloved rabbit pts last week and have gone through everything over and over again, weeping and weeping.

In truth, you did all you could for your bunny and she received much more care than, unfortunately, a lot do. You did not neglect her or ignore her symptoms. You did everything you believed was right for her. And you loved her.

Try to be a bit kinder to yourself; you are grieving - which is a very hard path in itself, without blaming yourself for something you feel you could have prevented.

I am not sure if this is information you want to hear but I have a bit of experience of a bunny with diarrhoea.

About 2 years ago I adopted Snowdrop from the RSPCA. When she came she was doing odd shaped poos, they are mini egg shaped instead of round. She would also stop eating for no reason and take days to start again. We had numerous visits to our vets who didnt know what was wrong and wanted to open her up. After losing a bunny a few weeks before having an op to remove a blockage I didnt want this to happen. A few weeks later Snowdrop develop diarrhoea. It would be watery, liquid poo mixed in with some normal poos. We went back to the vets and were referred to Frances Harcourt Brown. She diagnosed Megacolon, a gut condition and gave us a diet plan for Snowdrop and recommended a low stress environment. We moved house and Snowdrop moved outside, away from the busy house and the central heating. We switched her onto SS pellets, made sure she ate lots of hay and grass and very few vegetables or fruits.

Snowdrop hasnt had diarrhoea since. She has gone from having stasis bouts every few weeks to only a few a year. She goes into boarding for 2 weeks every summer and always has a stasis bout then triggered by the stress of moving. The boarding I use are brilliant with her and I know she is in safe hands. She always eats fine again the minute she is home!

Snowdrop now lives on her own in a wendy house outside with attached run. She is a million times better than when she lived with Strawberry as he would chase her and add to the stress. She eats as much of a natural diet as possible and gets to free range on the garden every day. I have never seen her happier or healthier.

Vita, we can all be trapped into the 'what if ....' and 'if only ....'. I know - I had to have a beloved rabbit pts last week and have gone through everything over and over again, weeping and weeping.

In truth, you did all you could for your bunny and she received much more care than, unfortunately, a lot do. You did not neglect her or ignore her symptoms. You did everything you believed was right for her. And you loved her.

Try to be a bit kinder to yourself; you are grieving - which is a very hard path in itself, without blaming yourself for something you feel you could have prevented.
I'm so sorry that you have also lost a bunny recently Babsie. :(

Beatrix probably got better care than she would have done from many other realistically possible owners for her, given than she came from Pets at Home. With that I can agree at least.

I'm still processing what happened, especially as I was too tired and stressed (by general things; B's illness was one thing on top of many) to think straight or do much research on Monday and Tuesday. I'd know if I were trapped. :)

I am not sure if this is information you want to hear but I have a bit of experience of a bunny with diarrhoea.

About 2 years ago I adopted Snowdrop from the RSPCA. When she came she was doing odd shaped poos, they are mini egg shaped instead of round. She would also stop eating for no reason and take days to start again. We had numerous visits to our vets who didnt know what was wrong and wanted to open her up. After losing a bunny a few weeks before having an op to remove a blockage I didnt want this to happen. A few weeks later Snowdrop develop diarrhoea. It would be watery, liquid poo mixed in with some normal poos. We went back to the vets and were referred to Frances Harcourt Brown. She diagnosed Megacolon, a gut condition and gave us a diet plan for Snowdrop and recommended a low stress environment. We moved house and Snowdrop moved outside, away from the busy house and the central heating. We switched her onto SS pellets, made sure she ate lots of hay and grass and very few vegetables or fruits.

Snowdrop hasnt had diarrhoea since. She has gone from having stasis bouts every few weeks to only a few a year. She goes into boarding for 2 weeks every summer and always has a stasis bout then triggered by the stress of moving. The boarding I use are brilliant with her and I know she is in safe hands. She always eats fine again the minute she is home!

Snowdrop now lives on her own in a wendy house outside with attached run. She is a million times better than when she lived with Strawberry as he would chase her and add to the stress. She eats as much of a natural diet as possible and gets to free range on the garden every day. I have never seen her happier or healthier.
It's all interesting and useful to know - maybe even for people searching boards in future.
Snowdrop sounds quite different from Beatrix. It's great that she's improved so much. Interesting that the house environment could be more stressful for some buns than outdoors, and that she's actually better as a solo bun.

OK Vita, I'll come clean.
Yes, I'm trying to protect you in this acute stage of grief. I have an old fashioned way of understanding loss. The initial response to sudden deep loss is usually shock/disbelief, rapidly followed by a mixture of anger & guilt. Guilt is by far the most difficult emotion to resolve, especially when even slightly misplaced.

I can empathise a little with you. Fortunately I worked in a speciality where there were few human deaths, but every time there was a death or things didn't go as expected, I'd go back to the beginning & tear my whole diagnosis & management apart. Could I have got the right diagnosis earlier? Did I pay insufficient attention to something the patient said, something found on examination, or a test? Should I have been more aware of new advances? If my treatment had been different would it have altered the outcome significantly? I could only do this deeply painful excercise, because although sad, I was not experiencing the confusion of emotions of bereavement.

Absolute truth. In 1977 I cared for a 16 year old girl, so seriously injured that even in 1995 with much more advanced technology she should have died. I had a good registrar who understood that the only way through, was fast & meticulous control of the factors which were killing her, but do nothing with drugs or operations which although indicated in a less severely ill person, would have killed her because her body couldn't take any more - there was no reserve left. She walked out of hospital 3 months later & eventually got a PhD.:D
I this good clinical judgement.

Even with human experience, I was totally reliant on vets for good clinical judgement for Thumper, because I didn't have the extensive experience of treating rabbits required to attain good clinical judgement.

You can see on Thumpers thread that I started with a truely gifted vet. Marie. When she left, she was succeeded by vets who had worked in the top centers in Europe, & had incredibly high academic qualifications. None of them had Marie's gift of amazing clinical judgement, or even approach Marie's ability to understand how one problem, his tiny molar spurs, were causing huge problems in totally different parts of his body. Problems which would not have arisen had he been otherwise well.

By far the biggest factors which suppress a bunny's immune system, & general ability to recover, are pain & stress, which can be physical or emotional.

I was quite shocked that Immodium was advocated on the link. It is contraindicated in human bacterial diarrhoea because we want the pathogens out of the gut as fast as possible, not building up inside the gut. The only indication would be if we were losing the battle to keep bunny/human hydrated with IV fluids or sub cut fluids.

Acute GI problems in bunnies & humans are often associated with a massive migration of fluid from the circulation to the gut lumen. It is incredibly difficult to know that a bunny is dehydrated. I knew that Thumper was dehydrated when he only passed a few ml of urine. He once soaked up 150 ml subcut fluids in an hour but had absolutely no signs whatsoever of dehydration, except poor urine output. :shock: Poor circulating volume, & pain can cause cold, grey, ears amongst other things. Thumper's ears would warm up at the vets cos he was scared & the adrenalin started to flow, increasing blood flow to the ears by increased BP & heart rate, but the treatment was restoring circulating volume & pain relief. It's the fluid loss from the circulation which kills humans. It must be a major factor in bunnies although they are more complicated.

Keeping bunny warm means that they don't have to use so much energy from their small energy stores to keep themselves warm. It conserves their strength to fight the illness. Also unlike us, bunnies have to keep eating. They have tiny energy stores & can't utilise fat properly like other animals. Mine was simply impossible to syringe feed by anyone! We had to get his gut started quickly, & a bit of glucose in his subcut fluids.

I know Thumper was older, but bunnies are adult when 6 months old. There were times when he just passed caecals of black "ink". He had dysbiosis as well as his TB. because his gut was so thickened & slow. I'd be sweating bricks! :oops::shock: We suspected E coli (& at 1 time I was misled into thinking it was clostridia). I was about to give him questran twice, just waiting for his meds to get down far enough to risk it, but blackthorn leaves sorted it out quickly every time.
Yes, we discussed ABx but there are a lot of cons in bunnies. For a start, the essential, beneficial microorganisms are more susceptable to ABx than the pathogens. The only effective way to recolonise the gut is to give them caecals from healthy rabbits orally, the which is fraught with difficulty.

Goodness I've written a treatise here! :oops:
I find that so much is written about the drug treatment of buns, but omits the indications, or potential problems with the treatment.
Hardly anything is written about the disease process, so we can understand what is happening, & at which stage the drugs should be used.
Virtually nothing is written about the very simple nursing & dietary care which do so much good, no harm whatsoever & should be the bed rock of our treatment.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry that you have also lost a bunny recently Babsie. :(

Beatrix probably got better care than she would have done from many other realistically possible owners for her, given than she came from Pets at Home. With that I can agree at least.

I'm still processing what happened, especially as I was too tired and stressed (by general things; B's illness was one thing on top of many) to think straight or do much research on Monday and Tuesday. I'd know if I were trapped. :)

Metaphorically, of course.

Back