• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

do bunnies chew vet bed much?

Ellasyn

Mama Doe
Im trying to think if clean but not cold ways to make buzzbys house nice, and lino is nice and clean, and litter tray and bed etc, but seems a bit cold underfoot to me ( I dont like lino indoors without slippers). If I put vet bed or similar down, do bunnies tend to chew it? he will have plenty of wood based chewable options as well as hays etc, but the little monster is definitely a chewer. Any other suggestions of softer warmer floorings to add to areas that are easily cleaned?

I bought a cheap version of vet bed from wilkinsons to see before I spent a fortunne, glad I did as they shredded it:shock:. They are making a bed out of good old fashioned straw that I have put in for them.

When I had an outside rabbit I lined her shed completely with vetbed to make it warm and cosy, cost me a fortune and luckily she never chewed it.

My Inca does chew her Vetbed now and again. I would also suggest a few cheap doormats, they should not be as easy to chew.

All my buns (5 thus far) have chewed vet bed into lacy patterns to a greater or lesser degree.
This has happened over the space of some months so maybe not too bad?
However some of them have not really liked the vet bed & have 'scruffled' it up into balls.
Maybe experiment with something cheaper first?

Mine chew vetbed too. In fact pretty much anything soft seems to look like a tasty meal to them!

Depends very much on the bun.

Teasel the very elderly bun would far rather curl up in hers and snooze so she never ever chews the stuff.
Pumpkin does not like it normally and the only bites in it are from him dragging it out of his dogbasket. When his eyes are starting to bother him [has no tear ducts] I know as he snuggles into his fleece and vet bed looking miserable.

Doodee is BANNED from vet bed except if she hits stasis from one bad thing chewed too many, the little idiot will shred and chew anything and everything. She snuggles up in a cat litter tray filled with hay for safety's sake although this morning she has dragged down one of the curtains and shredded it into postage stamp bunny litter bedding and is fast asleep on the pile she made!

Hmmm maybe Ill have to try something else...

He already chews the mats in the doorway, especially the rubbery edged/backed ones.

Back