• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breeder vs. Rescue - U/D Decided

Status
Not open for further replies.

chloemurray

Warren Veteran
I know this should be a no-brainer, but please just let me explain the situation so you understand a little better :)

Some of you will know that I lost Peanut Butter very suddenly about 2 weeks ago. I'm still finding it very difficult to deal with the fact that I lost him and Benji so close together, but I recognise that Cupcake is most definitely pining. When she's in her hutch, she just sits there. When she has free range, she just sits there. The only time she is animated is when I feed her.

So here is my dilemma. Mum and Dad say I am only allowed to get a new friend for Cupcake if I can find one in Basingstoke (where I live). This leaves me with two options: the most well known breeder in the area, or the only rescue in the area. The rescue has a bit of a bad reputation: the hutches are small and apparently not well kept, and as far as I know they do not neuter or vaccinate rabbits before rehoming them (Though they do recommend it on their site). In addition, I've contacted them on many occasions (via many means!) and I've never received a reply :?

I have visited the breeder before, the hutches aren't really big enough but the rabbits are clean and healthy, the lady has strict rehoming policies and I'd be getting a baby who's background I would know, not some poor petshop bunny with a multitude of problems like Peanut was. Either way I'll still be in the same position in regards to neutering and vaccinating.

Please help, what would you do?:?

Last edited:
Hmmm

The rescue might not be great, but do they still help out a lot of rabbits? Would the breeder take in rabbits if they were dumped on them? Not sure what I'd do in this situation to be honest, maybe just look around both, see which conditions you prefer, see if you fall in love with any buns, and don't feel guilty about your choice :)

Is there no way you could look a bit further out of the area?

ETA: With regards to health, purebred rabbits can be prone to certain problems and a baby might not show any future problems, but if the breeder is trusted you'll probably know what you're getting. With a rescue rabbit, if you get an adult any problems such as dental problems are likely to be already visible, but you've no idea where they've come from or their background

Last edited:
Have you tried visiting the rescue in person? Sometimes they get websites set up for them and don't keep info up to date.

Responsibly bred breeder bunnies can still have a miriad of problems too- my Badger was from a responsible breeder and was crippled with problems. Equally, you can find super healthy and happy bunnies in rescues.

I think only you can make the decision, and it sounds like you already have, to be honest.

What would be the situation, in both places, if your bunnies divorced or don't bond (especially if you're adopting a baby and when hormones arrive? or an entire adult)? Would they help you bond? Take the bunny back?

Responsibly bred breeder bunnies can still have a miriad of problems too- my Badger was from a responsible breeder and was crippled with problems. Equally, you can find super healthy and happy bunnies in rescues.

I think only you can make the decision, and it sounds like you already have, to be honest.

What would be the situation, in both places, if your bunnies divorced or don't bond (especially if you're adopting a baby and when hormones arrive? or an entire adult)? Would they help you bond? Take the bunny back?

I really haven't made a decision at all, I want to go and visit the rescue as well but I never get a reply from them.. perhaps I've got the wrong contact details.

The rescue let you take your bunnies to be introduced to others and see if they would get along, and both places let you take the bunny back if they don't bond or your circumstances change.

Also if I adopted/bought a baby, I would wait until after neutering to bond them which is why I preferably want a male bunny 12 weeks+. I'm not fussed about age or breed I just want Cupcake to have a friend to be honest :(.

For me this is a no brainer.......Rabbits in rescue are in desperate need of a good home. Breeders rabbits are brought into this world for financial gain. :shock: Slate me if you like but I feel its black and white.
Contact any rescue in the country and I'm sure some of them could organise a bunny run to you.
No matter, if you are a true bunny lover then you would take it warts and all. We all would like the perfect bun but there are far too many that need people that can rather than people that can't or won't.

Just another point of view for you to consider :)

For me this is a no brainer.......Rabbits in rescue are in desperate need of a good home. Breeders rabbits are brought into this world for financial gain. :shock: Slate me if you like but I feel its black and white.
Contact any rescue in the country and I'm sure some of them could organise a bunny run to you.
No matter, if you are a true bunny lover then you would take it warts and all. We all would like the perfect bun but there are far too many that need people that can rather than people that can't or won't.

Just another point of view for you to consider :)

I may be wrong, but I suspect that Chloe wants a healthy bunny because Cupcake is recently bereaved twice and would like to get the maximum chance of Cupcake having a happy life; therefore, finding the best bunny for Cupcake is essential (which includes one who will hopefully be with her long term). We're often told that we have to put our bunnies before any other bunny and that's all Chloe is doing :) I am absolutely sure that if a bunny arrived with or gained a health issue then Chloe would do her very best for that bunny, within her means :)

I really haven't made a decision at all, I want to go and visit the rescue as well but I never get a reply from them.. perhaps I've got the wrong contact details.

The rescue let you take your bunnies to be introduced to others and see if they would get along, and both places let you take the bunny back if they don't bond or your circumstances change.

Also if I adopted/bought a baby, I would wait until after neutering to bond them which is why I preferably want a male bunny 12 weeks+. I'm not fussed about age or breed I just want Cupcake to have a friend to be honest :(.

How about visiting the rescue and having a chat with them, then you can see the place for yourself, meet the person and see if you feel they are trustworthy, etc. Also, if you look into national adoptions from a rescue who could help organise a bunny run then you are fully informed, whereas it sounds like right now you don't have all the info you feel you need to make an accurate decision.

I don't feel I can add to the excellent posts already made by Sky-O, but wishe you well in making the best decision for you and Cupcake. :wave:

I may be wrong, but I suspect that Chloe wants a healthy bunny because Cupcake is recently bereaved twice and would like to get the maximum chance of Cupcake having a happy life; therefore, finding the best bunny for Cupcake is essential (which includes one who will hopefully be with her long term). We're often told that we have to put our bunnies before any other bunny and that's all Chloe is doing :) I am absolutely sure that if a bunny arrived with or gained a health issue then Chloe would do her very best for that bunny, within her means :)

This is exactly it.

Obviously it broke my heart to lose two bunnies so close but seeing Cupcake the way she is breaks it even more and I don't want it to happen to her again :(

To the person who suggested them: I've just found Le Coeur rabbit rescue which is also in Basingstoke so I've emailed them and I'm going to try and visit them if they reply... hopefully I like them and they've got some suitable bucks.

Though she's laidback, I'd like to take Cupcake to meet potential buns beforehand to make sure they'd get along, so she can effectively "choose" her partner. Like I said before, I'm not bothered about breed or age. However, travelling isn't really an option as Cupcake HATES it, she went into stasis after our last vet trip.

What about free ads, it's kind of a rescue but you don't have to worry about supporting a bad rescue or breeder, the problem is them taking the rabbit back should the bond fail

There is a third option; you could look on free ads for bunnies which need rehoming. That way you aren't supporting the breeding of rabbits but don't have to use a rescue whose policies you don't necessarily agree with. You may even be lucky enough to find a ready neutered male.

Or, as already mentioned, you could try and get a bunny run together.

If that's not possible then have a good chat with both the rescue owners and the breeder and see who you think does their best for the animals in their care and who is most concerned about where the rabbits are going. It's not so cut and dry that rescues are good and breeders are bad so just use your judgement and do what you feel is right. :)

edit: too slow!

I think if it would be possible, a bunny run could be the best thing to do, because you could help a rescue by adopting from them and the rabbit would already be neutered and vaccinated which would be easier for you so you could bond them straight away rather than having to keep them separate. The only problem is it would be difficult to return the rabbit to the rescue if they don't bond. I think if going to a breeder is what you think would be best for Cupcake, then do that. Although rescue rabbits deserve a home, if a breeder bunny would be best for Cupcake then get one from a breeder. Whatever you decide, don't feel bad about your decision. Do what is best for Cupcake and you :)

I have no advice to add but I just wanted to send you some massive virtual hugs, and Cupcake some serious nose rubs! I hope you can find her a friend for life xoxoxo

I definitely agree with Alicia about doing whatever is best for you and Cupcake. I would give a word of caution for getting a bunny from freeads because you have a very high chance of not knowing the things you need to know (health status, vaccination status- unless they have vaccination cards, spay/neuter status-unless they have proof from vets, etc). If you do go with bunnies from freeads you will need to vet people the same way you would the breeder and people who run the rescues. :)

I live in Basingstoke too, I'd happily give up my time to do a bunny run but would love a donation to cover my petrol costs :)

Catherine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back