• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Suitable for bunnies? (A wheeled carrier)

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
As some of you may remember I've been looking for a carrier with wheels for a looooong time. They're just too heavy to carry together and even taking Smoo on her own to the vets yesterday was a bit of a struggle. I've found what looks like a really good one on ebay. It's pricey but I'm working a lot of hours over Christmas and I'm thinking of 'treating' myself.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190452858...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_5381wt_1037

I looked at some of the stroller/push chair type ones. They look sturdier and a bit bigger but the issue is you can't remove the carrier from the wheel which you can with the one I found. So if I get a lift from someone I can take the carrier off the wheels to put on a car seat and fold up the frame and put it in teh boot. If there is no room on the bus or someone needs to get on with a wheelchair of buggy I can do the same. Having a proper stroller seems unpractical for rabbits where as with a dog they can just come out on a lead.

I asked the seller a few questions. First of all the carrier has a wire frame so it should keep its shape when picked up with bunnies inside it. And it has a board floor which is inside a fleece cover for stability so the rabbits are on something solid.

Of course there is the issue of chewing. Smoo has never really chewed the carrier before and she would be supervised at all times when in it because I would be travelling with them. So I'm sure I could stop her chewing it so much she gets out.

Can you think of any other issues?

I had one of those! They are good but I removed the carrier that came with the stroller and used a fold up wire puppy/small dog crate instead. I actually used to stack one crate ontop of the other and wheel all four bunnies into the vets at once! However, it was a pain to set it all up so I got rid of it (on ebay!!) and now just use two Cabrio carriers for my four.

The carrier itself is very large and sturdy and I wouldn't hesitate to put a bun or buns in it (as long as they weren't chewers). There are several meshed 'windows' so the ventilation is very good. I'd say get it - I don't think you'll be sorry. And I managed to sell mine on ebay for only slightly less than I paid for it.

Never used one of those before but I have a wooden travel box/carrier that I was going to buy wheels and put them on (mainly because the box is ridiculously heavy not the rabbits) but the only problem was the travel box only just fit in the boot, it wouldn't of with wheels on

What about the carrier I gave you a link of, they were cheaper but I don't think they had a handle that you could drag:D

Just found the pictures I put on ebay - these might give you a good idea of the carrier part (which is really quite large). If you just want to rest an ordinary carrier on the buggy bit, you can because you've got a completely flat base. I just cable-tied my crate to the carrier base.

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

What about the carrier I gave you a link of, they were cheaper but I don't think they had a handle that you could drag:D

I needed a handle. :)

Just found the pictures I put on ebay - these might give you a good idea of the carrier part (which is really quite large). If you just want to rest an ordinary carrier on the buggy bit, you can because you've got a completely flat base. I just cable-tied my crate to the carrier base.

Thank you so much, that's incredibly useful!
I think I might order it tonight. I'm just going to have a look at wire puppy crates because they sell the frame for £30 on it's own. That really would mean no chewing.

I'm really excited about getting it now!
It should be here on Thursday! :mrgreen:

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

maybe I should get one :eek: I have 4 rabbits, am currently fostering 2 more and will be fostering another 2 tomorrow ASWELL! So maybe I should invest in this myself lol!

Back