• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

angry with my mother-Children & buns?

My mum works in a (children's) nursery and told the head of nursery or whatever that she would bring Gimli in to work for easter:evil: before she even asked me about it I had no idea until now and I just said no I do not think that it's fair on gimli, the children are so little and they cannot understand that they need to be quiet and gentle when rabbits are around. My mum just keeps saying "the children won't be allowed to touch her" and wont understand my points about
-the noise children make can frighten rabbits - espesially when there are about 30 of them.
-Promoting rabbits to children near easter time is just going to cause more unwanted buns needing new homes when children get bored of them
- Where would Gimli stay all afternoon in a pet carrier- I don't think so(my mum works afternoons only)
My mum is not what you call rabbit savvy and keeps wondering why I am so angry with her and just keeps saying "It's only for the afternoon"
Am I being selfish?How can explain this to my mum? Anyone else got parents like this?
Sorry for the long thread but I am just really angry with her.

You're not selfish at all. You're thinking of the welfare of not only your rabbit but all the other rabbits that will be impulse bought from pet shops when the kids go home and scream "Mummy, daddy I want a bunny!".

Tell your mum, as nicely as possible, that she has no right to make plans that involve your 'stuff' without consulting you. Tell her it's the same as you planning to go somewhere in her car (assuming she has one) without asking her if you can use it and then getting mad when she doesn't want it to get muddy or something. Of course it's not the same, Gimli is your pet and not an object, but she perhaps doesn't see him like that. He is your possession so go about it from that angle.

You're not selfish at all. You're thinking of the welfare of not only your rabbit but all the other rabbits that will be impulse bought from pet shops when the kids go home and scream "Mummy, daddy I want a bunny!".

Tell your mum, as nicely as possible, that she has no right to make plans that involve your 'stuff' without consulting you. Tell her it's the same as you planning to go somewhere in her car (assuming she has one) without asking her if you can use it and then getting mad when she doesn't want it to get muddy or something. Of course it's not the same, Gimli is your pet and not an object, but she perhaps doesn't see him like that. He is your possession so go about it from that angle.

Thanks. That helped a lot.

Perhaps also explain to her that Gimli will be scared in unfamiliar surroundings. Even an animal confident "on its own territory" - in a place that it knows well and where its scent is - will often be frightened and feel threatened and stressed if taken into a completely new and strange environment. Particularly a place where there are lots of children crowding around, perhaps moving suddenly and quickly, with loud voices. It could be worse for an animal than a visit to the vet!

If you explain that to her, she might realise that what she is suggesting as a nice event for the children is actually a stressful, unkind - and even cruel - thing to do to Gimli. And not the best thing to teach children!

Good luck. :)

Perhaps also explain to her that Gimli will be scared in unfamiliar surroundings. Even an animal confident "on its own territory" - in a place that it knows well and where its scent is - will often be frightened and feel threatened and stressed if taken into a completely new and strange environment. Particularly a place where there are lots of children crowding around, perhaps moving suddenly and quickly, with loud voices. It could be worse for an animal than a visit to the vet!

If you explain that to her, she might realise that what she is suggesting as a nice event for the children is actually a stressful, unkind - and even cruel - thing to do to Gimli. And not the best thing to teach children!

Good luck. :)

Thanks

Back