• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dental #3 complete and dad's agreed to start paying the vet bills. SO happy!

ElsasMummy

Warren Scout
Elsa's 3rd GA dental under GA was done today. She has had 10 weeks between dentals but today the vet recommened we do them closer together as she had some long spurs at the back.

I have been stressing and spending all my money on meds/dentals (I'm a student) and had started to think that if they are going to be so frequent I might have to consider PTS as much as it broke my heart. BUT dad came with me to pick Elsa up today, the vet explained the situation and my dad was adamant that bad teeth that are maintainable (though expensive) should not be the end of her as she's so perky and happy most of the time. He's told me not to worry about the money (it's £70-£90 each time) and we're now going to start having dentals every 6-8 weeks rather than looking for symptoms and booking them later.

I'm so pleased :) Obviously I'll still be monitoring Elsa and making sure she has a good quality of life (also my mission this xmas is to try and get her to eat hay, just one strand would be a start!)

Oh also she is happy in her hutch, nice and warm and munching on dandelion leaves despite only having had her dental at around 5pm.

Merry Christmas RU!

That's good news
Eating fresh grass,redi grass,forage mixes or herbal hay all encourage eating dried foods and maintain teeth levels :wave:

Elsa has run of the garden yet I can't remember the last time I saw her eating grass. I've tried her on the hay experts selection of hay and reduced pellets but no luck. And I've bought dried leaves and twigs and foraged for them myself but no luck at all. FUSSY BUN!

There is a possibility that the more hay your bunny chomps, she will wear down her own teeth....

I rescued a bun from a rescue coming up 2 years ago.
Took him to a vet who said hed need dentals 3/4 monthly.
He had a large dental,and touch wood, hasnt had one since as hes always eating hay!!
It can happen!!
Keep the pellets to a minimum...watch his weight just in case.......xxxxxx

There is a possibility that the more hay your bunny chomps, she will wear down her own teeth....

I rescued a bun from a rescue coming up 2 years ago.
Took him to a vet who said hed need dentals 3/4 monthly.
He had a large dental,and touch wood, hasnt had one since as hes always eating hay!!
It can happen!!
Keep the pellets to a minimum...watch his weight just in case.......xxxxxx

:love:

What a kind dad you have!

Defianly do all you can to get her eating hay, even if you have to restric pellets.

I know :) I'm a dental student myself and my dad said I wouldn't tell an 80 year old patient that they had to be put down just because they had bad teeth.

Elsa started eating as soon as she got home but still isn't 100% today, she's grinding her teeth a bit and dribbling but I hope after all the soft tissues heal up she'll be brighter.

Back