• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I need to find the courage to do a blood glucose test - Erin (panic over she's OK)

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
But the scary thing is, if she does have a high glucose reading ie a blockage then I can't get her to Harcourt-Brown's tonight anyway as they aren't on out of hours :cry::cry:

I've just spoken to a local vet who suggested watching her for another couple of hours as she has pooped within the last 2 hours or so. She was eating at 8.45 when I gave her Excel. Vet also asked if I had any pineapple juice, which I wouldn't give anyway :cry::cry:

The only thing that eases my worry a bit is when both Esme and Elijah had blockages they were very still, quiet and subdued - Erin isn't, she's behaving in pain so I would guess her glucose reading to be about 11 - 13, from past experience.

I'm doing the usual stuff of getting her moving etc.

Vibes would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Mega vibes for Erin. xxx

I didn't even know what a glucose test was for.

Thanks.

The glucose testing is a new diagnostic that FHB has come up with to assess how serious the issue is. 15 is getting pretty serious, 20 is definitely in need of surgery for blockage.

I've had quite a few experiences of readings of around 13 where the bunny appears in agony, but the reading isn't even quite in the serious range. Erin has had a few episodes like this, and I suspect this is what it is this time. Maybe she just needs to break wind :?

Edit to add: She has sat on the tray as if she means business and then got off without having done anything.

I can understand why you are reluctant to take the test.

I haven't used pineapple juice for blockage but used to use it mixed with baytril, as my bunny was on a month of baytril. She recovered and had no effects from the juice.

Hoping there are poos in the morning.

I can understand why you are reluctant to take the test.

I haven't used pineapple juice for blockage but used to use it mixed with baytril, as my bunny was on a month of baytril. She recovered and had no effects from the juice.

Hoping there are poos in the morning.
Thanks. I'd probably be happy giving pineapple juice in other circumstances but I was a bit wary of giving her anything sugary if she had gut problems, not that I'm any use with a syringe anyway.

How is Erin this morning ?

Wonderful thank you (unlike her owner who hasn't had enough sleep!)

I held off on the blood test until I felt the symptoms suggested "something worse", ie I'm now a bit of an 'expert' at seeing a rabbit with a reading of 11 - 13, and that's what I believe it was.

At about 1/2 past midnight she was quiet but not 'dull'. I went into her pen and she came over for a snuggle looking very sorry for herself. We snuggled for 1/2 hour plus and she started nudging me quite hard which I thought was for affection but it turns out she had found something temping in the hay under my arm - she suddenly started crunching, then shook herself and looked a normal bright bunny. I did the rounds with the other bunnies and when I went back to her she had her head in her dish chomping Excel, then just as I was saying good night she sat on her tray and popped out a pile, as if to say, you can sleep now, I've pooped!.

Last edited:
Poor Erin; I hope she's back to normal this morning. xx

Totally, thank you.

I forgot to mention that bit :oops: There's the normal huge pile of pooh this morning, she has twice run over to see me with with her mouth full of hay ... she's her normal, happy self. :love::love:

Back