• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Peter acting strange after vet :-(

Janey

Warren Veteran
I took Peter to the vet this evening as I thought he has a runny nose (vet looked up nose, listened to chest but can't find anything so said to monitor).

I took Poppy along as Peter does get a tad stressed but I wouldnt say overly so, the round trip including being at the vets prob takes an hour and a half.

Anyway, since we got back he has been acting strange. He's almost overly calm, keeps really flopping on his blanket and laying there, he gets up but lets me stroke him while he's flopped which doesn't seem normal. He has had some fenugreek crunchie and a nibble of hay but not as interested in food as he would normally be. He has had a hop around and gone through his tunnels and had a dig at his blanket but is def not himself.

Could it be the stress from the journey? I'm feeling awful because I left with a bunny who was fine and came back with one whose not himself, I've never noticed that this has happened before, he's def not normally a stressy bunny :(

This does sound a bit worrying. I certainly wouldn't blame yourself though - a runny nose is not normal so well worth having the vet check him out. Has he done any poos since coming home? I'm just wondering if he might have gone into stasis as I believe stress can cause this.

Sending vibes and hoping he picks up soon. xx

This does sound a bit worrying. I certainly wouldn't blame yourself though - a runny nose is not normal so well worth having the vet check him out. Has he done any poos since coming home? I'm just wondering if he might have gone into stasis as I believe stress can cause this.

Sending vibes and hoping he picks up soon. xx

Thank you.

No he hasn't done any poos, he's just had a pile of coriander (about 10 'sprigs), so I am hoping this means he will produce something. Do punnies eat when they are in stasis? It's only happene to my two once before and that was put down to a virus as they got it one after another (exactly this time last year? :(

I would say trust your instincts and take him back to the vet. You know your bun and if he isn't acting how he usually would then I would be concerned too.

I would say trust your instincts and take him back to the vet. You know your bun and if he isn't acting how he usually would then I would be concerned too.

I did think this but it seems to have been the trip to the vets that made him poorly in the first place. It's a 40 min journey one-way and I can only think that doing that twice in the space of a few hours would make him even worse.

He could be tired from the stress of the vet's trip. i find after trips Smudge will hide himself away for a bit and sleep in his bed. I'd keep an eye that he's eating and try to encourage some hay eating by tipping it up with fresh.

He could be tired from the stress of the vet's trip. i find after trips Smudge will hide himself away for a bit and sleep in his bed. I'd keep an eye that he's eating and try to encourage some hay eating by tipping it up with fresh.

Thanks for the tip, I've topped up his hay and he's had a nibble (has now stopped though because he thought he was getting something better with me wandering around).

I'm hoping he is just tired/stressed from the vets,it's the lack of response that's worried me. I wonder if I am just over-analysing the situation, I hope so, I'm a huge worrier.

The eating sounds encouraging. I think it would be pretty unsual for a bun in stasis to eat what you've described. If he is a stressy bun try not to let him see how worried you are as sensitive buns can pick up on our feelings. We can't help worrying of course! :roll:

I'd try leaving him alone for a short time, and if possible check on him without being too obvious.

The eating sounds encouraging. I think it would be pretty unsual for a bun in stasis to eat what you've described. If he is a stressy bun try not to let him see how worried you are as sensitive buns can pick up on our feelings. We can't help worrying of course! :roll:

I'd try leaving him alone for a short time, and if possible check on him without being too obvious.

He's a bit of a funny one cos i wouldnt say he is stressy in that he'll come up to anyone for nose rubs & attention but he does spook easily & hates being picked up & wasnt happy being restrained so the vet could look up his nose. When u first got back he seemed the opposite of stressed & was too relaxed for my liking, now he is jst quiet.

I was guilty of checking him every 2mins but ive put them to bed now, he wasnt overly eager for supper but is eating some pellets & shoving Poppy out the way of the bowl so that's good. He wasnt interested in veg really but i need to consider that he's not overly greedy & often doesnt gobble everything (hard not to jump to conclusions tho when a bunny is a bit off). Have to try & not keep disturbing him in the night (altho that could be hard).

He's a bit of a funny one cos i wouldnt say he is stressy in that he'll come up to anyone for nose rubs & attention but he does spook easily & hates being picked up & wasnt happy being restrained so the vet could look up his nose. When u first got back he seemed the opposite of stressed & was too relaxed for my liking, now he is jst quiet.

I was guilty of checking him every 2mins but ive put them to bed now, he wasnt overly eager for supper but is eating some pellets & shoving Poppy out the way of the bowl so that's good. He wasnt interested in veg really but i need to consider that he's not overly greedy & often doesnt gobble everything (hard not to jump to conclusions tho when a bunny is a bit off). Have to try & not keep disturbing him in the night (altho that could be hard).

Hope he is back to normal tomorrow, and you get some sleep too! Are they indoor or outdoor buns?

Thank you.

They are indoor so are just in the next room (making it very hard to to disturb them), but i wont.

Alfred is always very quiet after a vet trip, I tended to find giving him some fave foods (grated carrot etc) and leaving him alone for an hour or so seemed to help - then followed by a few more fave's..

Hope he's ok x

Sometimes it's useful to put a mirror up so you can see them but they can't see you. Smetimes they pick on our actions and emotions. :)

Back