• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I go to the emergency vet or not?

Vita

Mama Doe
Beatrix is having more diarrhoea. She is just sitting still and not eating.

If I go to the emergency vet, this will cost approx £130 (not covered by insurance) to just inject her with Baytril and send her home again.
I have Baytril in the house.

I am taking her back to the rabbit savvy vet first thing tomorrow anyway. There she will be getting subcutaneous fluids and probably different drugs.

Trying to syringe feed her critical care, but she won't accept it. I have cisapride and metaclopramide prescribed for her. She had both of those about 5ish and was injected with metaclopramide and bupenorphrine at the vet early afternoon.

How long has it been since she last ate?

Is she alert?

How long has she had diahorrea?

Has she already seen a vet?

I think she needs fluids tonight if she is that low with it, to be honest.

Could you go for fluids tonight?

I think she needs fluids tonight if she is that low with it, to be honest.

Could you go for fluids tonight?

I will phone them and ask them if they do them. I don't want to waste £20 on taxis each way and be fobbed off with a Baytril jab.

Yes, she was at the vets early afternoon today. Thread here.

I would definitely go. My little man had diarrhoea a month ago and unfortunately went to the bridge, so it can be fatal if left untreated. Might needs some fluids and pain relief, from what I understand fluids are critical to a bun with diarrhoea.
Good luck and loads of vibes.

Yes, she probably needs admitting. Fluids are an essential. I would also ask about the possibility of the problem being Coccidiosis. If it is then your other Bun is also at risk and will need treatment.

Sending vibes for her xx

I agree she might need to be put on fluids.

One of mine has a stomach condition which used to give her diahorrea and she used to be admitted for fluids whenever it happened.

Yes, she probably needs admitting. Fluids are an essential. I would also ask about the possibility of the problem being Coccidiosis. If it is then your other Bun is also at risk and will need treatment.

Sending vibes for her xx

Thanks, yes. That had crossed my mind because I'd read that Cocci. has a farmy smell, but I hadn't mentioned that to anyone before,

The vet today thought that it was highly unlikely it was bacterial as she hasn't been in contact with other rabbits.

They both had a precautionary Cocci. treatment a couple of months ago.

The emergency vet just seem to dole out Baytril for most rabbit things. I took her there 2 and a half months ago with the same problem and that's what they did - Baytril injection

Thanks, yes. That had crossed my mind because I'd read that Cocci. has a farmy smell, but I hadn't mentioned that to anyone before,

The vet today thought that it was highly unlikely it was bacterial as she hasn't been in contact with other rabbits.

They both had a precautionary Cocci. treatment a couple of months ago.

The emergency vet just seem to dole out Baytril for most rabbit things. I took her there 2 and a half months ago with the same problem and that's what they did - Baytril injection

If there's a farmyard smell I'd place a hefty wager on it being Cocci :cry:

I would get both Buns to the Vet as your other Bun has only just been spayed hasn't she ?

Baytril wont treat cocci.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Coccidiosis_Hedgehog.htm

Ring the vet first and say you want her on fluids and painkillers until the rabbit savvy vet can look at her. Make sure they can do that before you take her in. sending vibes. x

Jenova, unfortunately they won't commit to anything like that before seeing her.

When talking to them, they asked me what my vet said... I remembered that they said they didn't expect it to resolve until Wednesday morning. So I had some second thoughts about taking her. Then I went and had another look at her. She's evidently getting worse, sitting there still and miserable in a big pool of diarrhoea. I couldn't leave an animal like that. So I cleaned out the carrier yet again and put in more fresh newspaper and we're waiting for the taxi to get here. Staying in overnight there costs £200+ on top of consultation fees and meds, and I'm not confident they really know rabbits anyway, so I'm bringing her home, then they can both be hospitalised at the rabbit savvy vet in the morning.

Ada still appears fine, though I'm aware she could have caught something from B.

Does anyone know a good way of disinfecting tights without ruining them? They are purple and not so easy to find. She scrabbled when I was lifting her and I got a big diarrhoea footprint on one knee.

ETA How would she have caught coccidiosis if she has it?

Jenova, unfortunately they won't commit to anything like that before seeing her.

When talking to them, they asked me what my vet said... I remembered that they said they didn't expect it to resolve until Wednesday morning. So I had some second thoughts about taking her. Then I went and had another look at her. She's evidently getting worse, sitting there still and miserable in a big pool of diarrhoea. I couldn't leave an animal like that. So I cleaned out the carrier yet again and put in more fresh newspaper and we're waiting for the taxi to get here. Staying in overnight there costs £200+ on top of consultation fees and meds, and I'm not confident they really know rabbits anyway, so I'm bringing her home, then they can both be hospitalised at the rabbit savvy vet in the morning.

Ada still appears fine, though I'm aware she could have caught something from B.

Does anyone know a good way of disinfecting tights without ruining them? They are purple and not so easy to find. She scrabbled when I was lifting her and I got a big diarrhoea footprint on one knee.

ETA How would she have caught coccidiosis if she has it?

No idea re the tights. If you read the link I included in my previous post there is a section about transmission of coccidia

Good luck at the Vets xx

I have no advice I'm afraid but just wante to send lots of vibes. I hope the vet can help in some way.x.x.

The vet at the emergency place was a lot more clued up this time. She had studied at Edinburgh (had uni sports team top on).

B has had an injection of warmed intra-peritoneal fluids, plus some more metaclopramide, Zantac and possibly something else I can't remember.
Unlike the last time we were there, they cleaned her. And even cleaned the carrier, which was very nice of them.

Going to get some more Critical Care into her and take her to the vets first thing.

Re. Coccidiosis: The idea of a "farmy smell" from someone like me who has always lived in urban areas and isn't very used to rabbits or other pets, is probably a lot broader than it might be for someone experienced.

V tired now.

Thanks for the good wishes :)

Back