• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

8 Hooded Merganser ducks in my pond! UD better picture

William

Wise Old Thumper
We occasionally get Hooded Mergansers, usually just 2 or 3, but yesterday we had 5 and today 8 :D 5 females, 3 males.
December2011004.jpg

December2011005.jpg

December2011002.jpg

December2011001.jpg

December2011009.jpg

Sorry the pics aren't good, they wouldn't quit moving!

Last edited:
Yep :D My house is actually average though. My dad says something like 1,900 square ft, I think. Right now I live with my parents and brother but it's my dream to move into a slightly more rural place (I'm in the suburbs) and have 10+ acres and a 2 story house. I want a yard a lot like this one though so hopefully it'll have a pond and woods too. Land around north Florida like Yulee, Callahan, Middleburg etc is actually quite cheap, I've heard only $1000-$2000 per acre so it won't be too expensive.

:oops: Thanks. I feel very lucky to live in Florida. If I lived anywhere else I doubt I'd have a pond. Florida is full of retention ponds so it's easy to find a house with one in the suburbs.

I haven't seen a duck of any type for quite some time. These are lovely, do they come all year round?

They come occasionally, mostly in the winter. I love when they come but they do eat fish so I guess it's a good thing they aren't here more often. But 7 muscovies live here who are quite tame, they're kinda my pets, and mallards are often here too.

My dad has a better camera so he was able to get a bunch of good pics. Here's one with all 8 :love: so pretty!

IMG_7281.jpg

Ducks can actually be in smallish yards without a pond (a kiddie pool works great for ducks), a lot of people think they need loads of room and a pond. Many people even keep them indoors.

The only problem is predators :( We have lots of predators here so I keep my ducks in a big dog kennel thats predator proof. And Scout, Dill, and Will come indoors as well.

Wow, so jealous of your 'back yard' :lol: Can we see some pics of your house and the rest of your garden?

Aww they're gorgeous - I'd love to live in that sort of area.

I have my heart set on visiting Savannah in Georgia - it looks sooo beautiful :love:

Wow, so jealous of your 'back yard' :lol: Can we see some pics of your house and the rest of your garden?

I dont have very many of the house or yard, other than the pond- my dad has most of the pics on his computer. But heres some pics I found :)

'woods' at dawn.

August 2011 675 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

CIMG5589 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

Pics off my cam 126 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

The pond without much water due to drought- the level should be up there where those pine saplings are!

June 2011 842 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

A neat looking lane of grass on the bank of the pond

June 2011 466 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

6 male mallards!

April 2011 234 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

Wild Canadian geese

Jan 2011 347 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

June 2011 468 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

A weedy part of one of the side yards. I'm probably going to chop it all down soon and plant fruit trees there.

June 2011 718 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

A stray mother duck that used to live here. She got killed by a raccoon or fox back in the summer while sitting on another nest of eggs :( She had 25 ducklings at once!

April 2011 142 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

April 2011 085 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

April 2011 242 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

April 2011 173 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

The only part of the house I could find- front porch on Halloween.

IMG_7217 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

And part of the front yard.

IMG_7200 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

I have my heart set on visiting Savannah in Georgia - it looks sooo beautiful

Yes, Georgia is very pretty. A lot like Florida except a bit cooler and it has mountains. Florida doesn't even have hills :lol:

I think 7 survived to adulthood, and then a few of them are still alive. They still live in my yard, along with a few ducks who were born in spring of 2010 :D I love them.

Back