• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits aftercare for teeth problems?

maisey

New Kit
Hello

I have a 9month old lionhead dwarf, he is lovely but he suffers terrible with teeth problems to the point of them being ridiculously overgrown every month, He is going for an operation for it thursday, the vets have said they need to remove his front teeth and also grind down the back as they do not meet properly. The vets have said he has been poorly bred and will still need teeth care for the rest of his life. I am just wondering really once he has had his operation will he still need to go into operations regulary as his back teeth are so messed up?
I have had rabbits in the past with front teeth problems but nothinhg as bad as this, the vets even said they were quite shocked with his age how bad he has it.
Any info would be great thanks

A lot of us here have rabbits with major dental problems, myself included. Ginger needs a dental every ~8-10 weeks at the moment.

Unfortunately, it may be a case that your bun needs frequent dentals.

Diet can help in lengthening the time between dentals, but it won't fix it. Does your bun eat much hay?

Make sure he comes home with pain relief for a couple of days after the dental in case of any post-op pain.

Has your bun had any skull xrays to see if the teeth roots are causing problems?

No he doesn't eat much hay now you mention it, but is there anything I can do about that?
He has had no x-rays but I do have a lot of confidence in my vet. I'll make sure he gets his pain relief as well.
He is an outside bun so is it a good idea to keep him after the op or just put him back to what he knows?
Becau8se he is having his front teeth out they will not be a problem, its the back ones i'm concerned about because even if they are grinded down surely they will grow back?

No he doesn't eat much hay now you mention it, but is there anything I can do about that?
He has had no x-rays but I do have a lot of confidence in my vet. I'll make sure he gets his pain relief as well.
He is an outside bun so is it a good idea to keep him after the op or just put him back to what he knows?
Becau8se he is having his front teeth out they will not be a problem, its the back ones i'm concerned about because even if they are grinded down surely they will grow back?

With regards to his teeth growing back, yes this is true for all bunnies, but eating hay and roughage engourages the teeth to grind themselves down. So the more hay you can get him to eat, the slower his teeth will grow back.

When he comes back it will be best to put him back in his hutch with extra bedding and a snugglesafe to keep him nice and warm. Bringing him indoors will mean that he will need to stay indoors until the Spring, as bunnies can't adjust to big temperature differences and when he goes back outside he will be at rick of getting hypothermia.

Good luck with the op, I hope all goes well! x

Back