• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Girl on girl?!?

lubylulu

New Kit
I have two female rabbits who are both about to be nuetered. They failed to bond as young rabbits but i'm hoping once the hormones are out of the way I might be in for a chance. Would love to hear anyones opinions on the subject especially if they have bonded two adult females. :)

Last edited:
Neutering can only help! I don't know much about bonding but I do know that you need to wait 6 weeks post op, and it should be one in a small space on completely neutral territory. Good luck!

I had two sets bonded females living together but in each case they had to be separated due to bullying even after being neutered. Both pairs were sisters to boot but all my girls have been very feisty and temperamental and have since bonded with docile males. So I think you have to examine their personality and see whether either of them exhibit any kind of hierarchy behaviour to determine whether they will bond or not but calmer hormones might not be apparent until weeks after the op so it may take some time.

I had an adult pair of bonded females (both bonded when well into middle age/old age. They were such an easy bond and ended up best friends. Equally, I have tried to bond other adult females and they have literally pulled chunks out of each other.

Really it depends on the personalities of the bunnies. You're doing absolutely the right thing by getting them spayed, so well done. If you then wait at least 8 weeks to give the hormones a chance to die down, then you are likely to have the best chance at bonding (although by then we will be in breeding season which may or may not be an added complication).

Make sure between now and then you do a lot of research into bonding. There is some on my website (link in my sig under 'Flash's Place') and there are lots of threads on the forum too which will give you a huge amount of info :)

I recently bonded two girls. Barley is young, energetic and dominant, and Sophie is old, calm and quiet. The bonding went very smoothly and they're now the best of friends. :)

I've also taken on two pairs of girls in the past, and fostered a pair of girls.

So I agree it depends on the personalities of the buns involved. Good luck xx

My girls are happy together.

Just be sure to give the hormones time to die down after spaying - as Sky-O said - about 2 months.

I had an adult pair of bonded females (both bonded when well into middle age/old age. They were such an easy bond and ended up best friends. Equally, I have tried to bond other adult females and they have literally pulled chunks out of each other.

Really it depends on the personalities of the bunnies.
You're doing absolutely the right thing by getting them spayed, so well done. If you then wait at least 8 weeks to give the hormones a chance to die down, then you are likely to have the best chance at bonding (although by then we will be in breeding season which may or may not be an added complication).

Make sure between now and then you do a lot of research into bonding. There is some on my website (link in my sig under 'Flash's Place') and there are lots of threads on the forum too which will give you a huge amount of info :)

Can only repeat this as this has been my experience too -:thumb:

Awww thanks that's really encouraging. Will definatly try and find out everything I can :) really helpful comment to sky-o will keep u posted.

Last edited:
Back