• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oh dear

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
I've been having the door to my room open to get some air in to help Mischa's snuffles. Side effect: what I thought was only a small bit of referred aggression. But I've just picked up Smudge and he's got a small bite mark at the base of his ear. It's not very big, barely half an inch long and it's healing fine. But what do I do now? Do I separate them? Keep the door shut again and risk Mischa's snuffles flaring up?

I always said to myself that if they fought it would be ok, Nutmeg's happy on her own and Smudge loved the lops but I can't risk bonding with Mischa at the moment.

Bah.

Oh no, why do they cause us so much worry.

My 2 are scuffling all the time. :roll:

I don't know what to advise but good luck.

Is there any chance you could leave a window ajar, to keep the air temperature lower, but leave the door shut?

Thats what we do here :wave:

I would like to have the lops downstairs, out of earshot of the lions but I don't think it's going to happen. We're planning redecorating so now is the best time to try and get my parents to consider it. He's been grooming her again so I won't split them yet. It obviously happened a few days ago.

I'm not going to take him to the vet yet as it's healing nicely and Smudge gets stressed very easily. It would do more harm than good I think. I'd rather keep a good eye on it.

Is there any chance you could leave a window ajar, to keep the air temperature lower, but leave the door shut?

Thats what we do here :wave:

It's very cold out there :( I just wanted to keep the air fresh and circulating really as my room gets stuffy easily :( I might try it.

I would like to have the lops downstairs, out of earshot of the lions but I don't think it's going to happen. We're planning redecorating so now is the best time to try and get my parents to consider it. He's been grooming her again so I won't split them yet. It obviously happened a few days ago.

I'm not going to take him to the vet yet as it's healing nicely and Smudge gets stressed very easily. It would do more harm than good I think. I'd rather keep a good eye on it.

I agree, referred aggression isn't something to split over right now if they are okay together for the rest of the time, you know the cause, it's just about finding a solution to that that means the cause goes away. Difficult eh?

It's such a shame they didnt bond as a quad, it'd solve it all!

Defo agree about Smudge and the vets too, knowing how he's reacted in the past, bless him.

Big smudgey vibes from here!

It's very cold out there :( I just wanted to keep the air fresh and circulating really as my room gets stuffy easily :( I might try it.

It's 2 degrees here atm, but i can put money on it, if i close the windows, 2 hours later, Ginger will be really bunged up and snuffley.

With the windows open, its very runny and comes out a lot easier :) Just keeps her brighter, i just have to wear a jumper :lol:

I'm fortunate, i dont feel the cold as much as lots of others - i appreciate with your ME too that the cold may have an adverse affect, my apologies, shuold of thought about that before making the original post :wave:

I agree, referred aggression isn't something to split over right now if they are okay together for the rest of the time, you know the cause, it's just about finding a solution to that that means the cause goes away. Difficult eh?

It's such a shame they didnt bond as a quad, it'd solve it all!

Defo agree about Smudge and the vets too, knowing how he's reacted in the past, bless him.

Big smudgey vibes from here!

Thank you, it doesn't seem to have bothered him too much fortunately as he hasn't stopped eating.

When I finally get through to the vets (about Mischa) I might ask about giving him a little bit of metacam just in case.

Thank you, it doesn't seem to have bothered him too much fortunately as he hasn't stopped eating.

When I finally get through to the vets (about Mischa) I might ask about giving him a little bit of metacam just in case.

good idea - might help even if its a bit of discomfort, rather than pain, and if there is any inflammation, the metacam shuold help with that too :)

It's 2 degrees here atm, but i can put money on it, if i close the windows, 2 hours later, Ginger will be really bunged up and snuffley.

With the windows open, its very runny and comes out a lot easier :) Just keeps her brighter, i just have to wear a jumper :lol:

I'm fortunate, i dont feel the cold as much as lots of others - i appreciate with your ME too that the cold may have an adverse affect, my apologies, shuold of thought about that before making the original post :wave:

I used to have the windows open actually, last year. But the vet felt that that might have contributed to the snuffles that year. Gosh it's difficult!!

Out of curiosity, did Ginger's snuffles get worse last summer?

I used to have the windows open actually, last year. But the vet felt that that might have contributed to the snuffles that year. Gosh it's difficult!!

Out of curiosity, did Ginger's snuffles get worse last summer?

Ginger was at her worst in the summer, yes, thats when we REALLY struggled with it - and went and saw Ian Sayers (Referrals exotics vet in Devon) in August i think it was and thats when we basically gave up on 'medicine' and moved onto just the nebulisation, which has been a god send. It clears her right out and she's so much brighter after it. However, Ginger is an anti-stress rabbit 99% of the time - she just doesnt get stressed, so i appreciate that may not work for Smudgeroo.

Yes, it's so difficult, as the weather can really affect them in so many ways - we only have the one of two windows in the office open, but its only open ~1/2 an inch - literally, i open the handle, open the door, close the handle down and pull the window back in, so its only open the depth of the handle, if that makes sense? (i can take a picture if its easier to picture it?)

Sky-O helped me out with that a lot - with how she had to treat Badger's breathing. It was often humidity that made him worse, so i wonder if its the same, keeping the air fresh in here just helps and keeps the humidity down massively. The vent in here is also open at the top of the window frame, so even with the windows shut, there is always a tiny amount of fresh air getting in.

Ginger was at her worst in the summer, yes, thats when we REALLY struggled with it - and went and saw Ian Sayers (Referrals exotics vet in Devon) in August i think it was and thats when we basically gave up on 'medicine' and moved onto just the nebulisation, which has been a god send. It clears her right out and she's so much brighter after it. However, Ginger is an anti-stress rabbit 99% of the time - she just doesnt get stressed, so i appreciate that may not work for Smudgeroo.

Yes, it's so difficult, as the weather can really affect them in so many ways - we only have the one of two windows in the office open, but its only open ~1/2 an inch - literally, i open the handle, open the door, close the handle down and pull the window back in, so its only open the depth of the handle, if that makes sense? (i can take a picture if its easier to picture it?)

Sky-O helped me out with that a lot - with how she had to treat Badger's breathing. It was often humidity that made him worse, so i wonder if its the same, keeping the air fresh in here just helps and keeps the humidity down massively. The vent in here is also open at the top of the window frame, so even with the windows shut, there is always a tiny amount of fresh air getting in.

Gosh, he was a nightmare for what kind of air he needed. it was very trial and error and we only sussed it out towards the end that the central heating made it worse. That he liked cool air, but not fresh, outside air, and not stale air. :lol: He was so fussy.

Now we just keep the window open a tiny weeny tad (which is what we did for him and it's just stuck), like a couple of mm, and that keeps the room nice and fresh. That said, Autumn has got his standard runny nose back but not sure what air flow he needs.

I would say watch and experiment.

With the referred aggression is it on sight? On smell? On hearing? All of those? or something else?

Gosh, he was a nightmare for what kind of air he needed. it was very trial and error and we only sussed it out towards the end that the central heating made it worse. That he liked cool air, but not fresh, outside air, and not stale air. :lol: He was so fussy.

Now we just keep the window open a tiny weeny tad (which is what we did for him and it's just stuck), like a couple of mm, and that keeps the room nice and fresh. That said, Autumn has got his standard runny nose back but not sure what air flow he needs.

I would say watch and experiment.

With the referred aggression is it on sight? On smell? On hearing? All of those? or something else?

Ah, i see now what you both mean about the windows.

The referred aggression is with anything. Sight, smell or hearing. Right now she cannot possibly see them and I doubt if she could really smell them very much but her ears are always a-go-go and it's when she hears their paws on the lino that she panics, thinks her top bun status is at risk and starts reminding Smudge who is boss.

Her hearing is VERY sharp!

Is there anyway to dull the sound of their feetsies? Would anything like a radio or TV in their room help?

Is there anyway to dull the sound of their feetsies? Would anything like a radio or TV in their room help?

I can't leave one on all the time. I might be able to do a bit of a combination of things though. Have the door open some of the day with music on and shut some of the day with the window open. :thumb:

Back