• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

U/D Just when it looked like a straightforward day...

Vita

Mama Doe
Ada was on the mend and I was feeling well enough to get a few things done. Then I noticed that the rabbits smelt really bad. And there was Beatrix, sitting facing the pen wall with a big puddle of diarrhoea (liquid faeces, rather than actual watery stuff) beside her.

We've got a vet appointment early this afternoon.

It's quite a worry having a recently spayed rabbit near her. Concerned about the risk of infection. Will be putting them in separate carriers for the journey. They are themselves staying on opposite sides of the pen at the mo.

Have seen Beatrix drinking a little.

This is the same as she was the afternoon after I got them. Then she had an injection of Baytril at the vets and was producing normal droppings by the time we got home.

ETA She hasn't had any new foods in the past couple of days.

Last edited:
Grrrr. I just want it for them to be well and me to be well at the same time so I can have a vaguely normal life!

Beatrix is giding at the moment. I have got Ada into a carrier, but unfortunately she ran into the diarrhoea-y area of the pen a couple of times when I opened the panels :( She seemed to have completely stayed away from it before.

Thanks guys. Vet reckons it is a dysbiosis linked to imbalance of gut bacteria.
She is to eat no pellets for at least two weeks and fresh greens are to be reintroduced gradually.
She has had injections of metaclopramide and buprenorphrine, and I have some metaclopramide and cisapride to give her at home until her gut returns to normal.

She started scrabbling and digging around a bit in the carrier on the way home so seems to be feeling a little better. Poor thing was hunched in a little ball in the corner most of the time before, and had lost a little weight (down to 1.6kg)

I hadn't started the marbocyl yet as she was barely sneezing and I was hardly up to dealing with something new involving needles (had been going to start it today!). Vet says that makes it easier to tell it wasn't the marbocyl causing the probs. But it should be OK to start it soon.

I have a hunch that stopping her Biolapis (in order to give it all to Ada) and pineapple might have something to do with it as these are the only dietary changes she's had very recently. Vet non-commital on this but have given her some Biolapis just now.

Lots to do today, and just about feel up to doing it so hopefully will be staying off the forum a fair bit. Also getting things done will get me a bit further away from the end of my tether :)

She is really unco=operative. Has been spitting out some of the medicine, not eating or drinking by herself and not accepting Biolapis (which she normally loves). She also stinks, poor thing :( I tried to clean her and it made me retch. I sound really rubbish, but this is one of the reasons why I don't have children. I'm going to perservere with syringe feeding her tonight but if she's no better in the morning she is going to the vets to be hospitalised. (The cost isn't quite as horrifying as I thought, and I rather wish I'd already done it.)

She is really unco=operative. Has been spitting out some of the medicine, not eating or drinking by herself and not accepting Biolapis (which she normally loves). She also stinks, poor thing :( I tried to clean her and it made me retch. I sound really rubbish, but this is one of the reasons why I don't have children. I'm going to perservere with syringe feeding her tonight but if she's no better in the morning she is going to the vets to be hospitalised. (The cost isn't quite as horrifying as I thought, and I rather wish I'd already done it.)

I can understand your anxiety and I think they pick up on it as well. Luckily the vets wanted to hospitalize Cutie-pie and fed her every 2 hours. Second time this year, but the other time was after her spay when she stopped eating. I also had my chinchilla at the vets for 3 days, over a weekend which really helped, as he needed feeding every few hours, as well as his meds.

Only turns out a little extra and with the chinchillas it was so easy as the 3 of them stayed and they don't get stressed out. Not sure I would want Cutie-pie to go through it again, she hated it. Better she comes home, if she has statis again.

Thanks so much for posting :)

I went back to try and syringe more Critical Care into her (90% of it accumulates on her chin as a sort of beard).
THERE WAS A NEW ROUND DROPPING in the carrier where I'd left her. Thank god for that. She is evidently getting a bit better. Hopefully she will start eating and drinking of her own accord soon.

I'm not used to looking after ill animals, so I do find it stressful, and they quite probably pick up on it.

That's very good news about the dropping, hope she gets back to normal very soon...

its horrible having to syringe meds and food into them - so hopefully she'll be nomming very soon x

Thanks so much for posting :)

I went back to try and syringe more Critical Care into her (90% of it accumulates on her chin as a sort of beard).
THERE WAS A NEW ROUND DROPPING in the carrier where I'd left her. Thank god for that. She is evidently getting a bit better. Hopefully she will start eating and drinking of her own accord soon.

I'm not used to looking after ill animals, so I do find it stressful, and they quite probably pick up on it.

Thats great news.

I had real problems with Cutie-pie as well. When it come to the baytril it went everywhere and she learnt to fight it off and struggle with me. I was hopeless with the syringe feeds.

I got used to giving medication to my chinchilla as it went on for a few months with giving eye drops 3 times a day. Then there were weeks of giving him 2 types of drops, oral ABX and metacam. I would pop him under my top, wait until he popped his head out, hold him steady and it worked well. Thank goodness he is fully recovered now.

Back