• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do rabbits need the collar..

Aly&Poppy<3

Wise Old Thumper
When they have glue on the outer stitches??

Poppy is now confined to stop getting too excited, and the collar will go on soon :( just watching her like a hawk..

IMAG0458.jpg

Its not usually reccommended unless absolutely necessary as they cant reach their caceotrophs (sp?) with the collar on.

On a side note, I know she doesnt usually eat it, but it may be an idea to offer a small bowl of hay, in case she does ever take a fancy to it, even if its just a few strands.

Its not usually reccommended unless absolutely necessary as they cant reach their caceotrophs (sp?) with the collar on.

On a side note, I know she doesnt usually eat it, but it may be an idea to offer a small bowl of hay, in case she does ever take a fancy to it, even if its just a few strands.

Thank you :) yeah I've just put a tub of hay in for her, hoping for a miracle there lol. My bf has to keep reassuring me that her insides aren't going to fall out at some point :( the vet said if we ring as soon as they open then they will give us an appointment as soon as they can so hopefully we don't have to wait long so we can get it sorted.

We'll take the collar off in the morning so she can eat properly and put it back on for the trip there. Would that be okay do you think?

Thank you :) yeah I've just put a tub of hay in for her, hoping for a miracle there lol. My bf has to keep reassuring me that her insides aren't going to fall out at some point :( the vet said if we ring as soon as they open then they will give us an appointment as soon as they can so hopefully we don't have to wait long so we can get it sorted.

We'll take the collar off in the morning so she can eat properly and put it back on for the trip there. Would that be okay do you think?

You might have to pull the caceos off her bum in the morning and try and feed them to her. Just read your other thread, if you think she's pulling the stitches its probably best for her to have it on, can you supervise for a while to make sure she learns how to scoop up the pellets with it? I think I'd be most worried about her not eating for a possible 8 hours. She might have more success if theyre on the floor maybe? Or I dont know if she eats veg, but veg would probably be easier for her to eat with the collar on?

Never had a bun spayed (Annabelle was done already when I got her) so dont really know what else to suggest!

That's what the vet who put Ada's collar on advised, to leave it on at night but if she hated it, to have supervised time out of it. However Ada does eat hay.

If Poppy only eats pellets and can't consume anything with the collar on, I'd be inclined to get up at least once in the night to feed her (pellets, or even something like Recovery Formula) because their guts need to keep moving. That's just a hunch though, and others have more experience

ETA. You might find other advice in here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?323697-Feeding-conehead-collared-rabbits&highlight=conehead

That's what the vet who put Ada's collar on advised, to leave it on at night but if she hated it, to have supervised time out of it. However Ada does eat hay.

If Poppy only eats pellets and can't consume anything with the collar on, I'd be inclined to get up at least once in the night to feed her (pellets, or even something like Recovery Formula) because their guts need to keep moving. That's just a hunch though, and others have more experience

ETA. You might find other advice in here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?323697-Feeding-conehead-collared-rabbits&highlight=conehead

She's got it on now :( just trying to get it off :( it's horrible to watch :( but she has to have it on.

She's got it on now :( just trying to get it off :( it's horrible to watch :( but she has to have it on.
Poor Poppy. Does she keep shaking her head and running around in a disorientated way?
Ada did that. She settled a bit after an hour or so and ate a bit, but still had episodes of head-shaking and running :(

Poor Poppy. Does she keep shaking her head and running around in a disorientated way?
Ada did that. She settled a bit after an hour or so and ate a bit, but still had episodes of head-shaking and running :(

Yeah :( and banging into the panels :( she's calmed down now but is trying to clean herself bless her. Hopefully she'll lie down soon :(

Back