• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay For Pets - Hay Taste Trial

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
A (non)scientific trial has been carried out by a team of researchers in the UK.
It aimed to identify which Hay for Pets hay was preferred through a randomised and blind taste trial.
Participants were self-selecting, and equally distributed with males and females, lops and uppy-eareds. The 6 buns came from a range of backgrounds and breeds.
Each participant was presented with three small piles: a) Meadow, b) Timothy & Rye and c) INGS.
To reduce bias, participants were not informed of which pile was which, and each was placed equi-distant from each bunny.
The researchers used quantitative methods to assess the findings.
The results clearly show the INGS was significantly preferred by 5 bunnies, with one bunny trying to simultaneously munch all three hays at once, although all hays were devoured within 15 minutes of serving.

The conclusion of this trial is that INGS hay is clearly the preferred hay, however any of the other hays or a combination, would be more than acceptable.

To provide participants with anonymity, no photos were taken.

:D

ETA: further trials may be necessary

Last edited:
:lol:
I've heard the ings can be a bit of a 'marmite' hay, so have always played it safe with the meadow- might just have to order some ings for Mischief to try now :)

Wow thats interesting. Did they say which Hay was actually the better hay?

No, they just carried on munching until all the hay was gone! :lol:

ETA: the trial was just carried out in my household, it wasn't proper research! :oops::lol:

:lol::lol:

Ohhhhh :lol::lol:

I thought a proper research test :oops::oops:

Sorry! :lol::oops: Got a bit carried away with the story!! :lol:

I don't know which is the healthiest to be honest, the other two looked more stalky (so maybe better for dental wear??) while the INGS was the greenest and most sweet-smelling. I suppose INGS might be a useful one to try for any buns that are more reluctant to eat hay? *None of this is technical though! :lol:

:lol: Mine love the timothy and rye and the meadow so next on my list is the INGS to try but i too have heard its a love it or not bothered with it type of hay! I know if I order a big bag they wont like it but if i order a small bag they will love it and I will kick myself! :roll:

Sorry! :lol::oops: Got a bit carried away with the story!! :lol:

I don't know which is the healthiest to be honest, the other two looked more stalky (so maybe better for dental wear??) while the INGS was the greenest and most sweet-smelling. I suppose INGS might be a useful one to try for any buns that are more reluctant to eat hay? *None of this is technical though! :lol:

:lol::lol: Don't worry I'm obviously a bit dense.
Ohhh I want to find other hays for Pierre, hes had one dental and I don't want to go there again if I can help it. I've never bought from hay for pets before, is it ok? :lol:

We normally buy from Willow Warren which usually has very stalky fresh sweet-smelling hay and I do think it has helped our dental bunnies. The only reason I looked elsewhere was just out of curiosity and because the last batch of WW hay wasnt as good quality, but the new delivery we've had is back to the normal good quality (its just quite expensive).

We bought three of Hay 4 Pets sample bags just to see, it was only £3 and came quickly, so we thought we'd see which one seemed to go down best with the buns but to be honest they loved all three of them. Knowing our luck if we order a big box of the INGS they will turn their noses up! :lol::lol:

We normally buy from Willow Warren which usually has very stalky fresh sweet-smelling hay and I do think it has helped our dental bunnies. The only reason I looked elsewhere was just out of curiosity and because the last batch of WW hay wasnt as good quality, but the new delivery we've had is back to the normal good quality (its just quite expensive).

We bought three of Hay 4 Pets sample bags just to see, it was only £3 and came quickly, so we thought we'd see which one seemed to go down best with the buns but to be honest they loved all three of them. Knowing our luck if we order a big box of the INGS they will turn their noses up! :lol::lol:

:lol::lol: Why is it they are so so fussy!:lol:

Back