• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping outdoor rabbits warm

Alicia

Mama Doe
I asked my Dad today and he said Izzy and Archie could move inside for the rest of the winter :D I then asked Mum, and she of course said no, which she normally says :( I can't stop thinking about my bunnies being cold. I know they've been fine so far but they really don't see happy at all, they always sit together in the corner of the run, with their fur fluffed up looking miserable. Will they be ok all winter? They've got a blanket covering their hutch and a shower curtain, and lots of hay inside the hutch. They have a snugglesafe but I haven't given it to them yet because I don't want them to rely on it too much in case the weather gets colder.
I wish they could come inside :( Poor bunnies

Aw poor buns - maybe your dad could try talk mum around? maybe... :lol:

Are they in a sheltered area? I'm sure they will be fine, they aren't the only ones outside :)

:wave: my buns will be staying out all winter too...would love them to cone in but we don't have room!! As long as they have lots of hay/straw to snuggle in, lots if hay to Nom and covers for their hutch they will be fine :) do you have a heatpad for them?

Mum says we don't have enough room inside either, but they're only little bunnies :( I have got a heatpad, but once I start giving it to them will I have to give it to them every night? I don't want them to rely on it too much in case the weather gets colder. Izzy's still really thin too :(

Could you ask for a shed for them as a Christmas present, you might pick one up in the sales ;) It might be a compromise if you have the space in the garden.

Are they bonded and living together?

I give mine one heatpad at night now that we have snow and when it gets colder I will hige them two at night and one during the day :)

Could you have a puppy pen in your bedroom for them?

No, I'm not allowed them in the house at all :(

Are they bonded and living together?
I give mine one heatpad at night now that we have snow and when it gets colder I will hige them two at night and one during the day :)

Yes they are bonded and live together and they do sit together a lot so I hope they keep each other warmer. Thank you, I think I'll give them their heatpad tonight :)

do you have room for a puppy pen in your room?? that way it wont be taking up any of your mums space and they would be down to you to look after completely :)

They will be fine outside. My two stay out all winter and just have extra straw and hay. They are fine.

Could you ask for a shed for them as a Christmas present, you might pick one up in the sales ;) It might be a compromise if you have the space in the garden.

I wish they could have a shed, I asked my parents if they could have a shed before I got them but she said no :( There's a wendy house and a shed in the garden, the shed has lots of tools in it and there isn't really anywhere else to put them and the guinea-pigs are living in the wendy house and there's not very much space left at all. I can't really put the guinea-pigs outside and the rabbits in the wendy house because the guinea-pigs don't cope as well with the cold.

I wish they could have a shed, I asked my parents if they could have a shed before I got them but she said no :( There's a wendy house and a shed in the garden, the shed has lots of tools in it and there isn't really anywhere else to put them and the guinea-pigs are living in the wendy house and there's not very much space left at all. I can't really put the guinea-pigs outside and the rabbits in the wendy house because the guinea-pigs don't cope as well with the cold.

no id leave the pigs in there definently like you said at least bunnys have there winter coats :)
they should be fine outside i know the feeling when they look all sad and cold :(
least theres 2 remeber that :thumb:
if one rabbit can survive this winter 2 definently can :D
also with the heatpads id see what happens with the weather yet see if it gets worse

As Snowberry said, They'll be absolutely fine. I don't know Izzy's history but I would bulk them up with porridge & extra pellets (Not everyone agrees with this but I make sure mine have plenty of flubber to see them through winter :thumb:). Hay is OK for insulation but straw is much better, I fill my hutches literally from floor to ceiling & they make tunnels and nests in it - always seem lovely & cosy. I started with the snugglesafes last night as it really is cold. Also i give them their water warm, they love that xx

Mine stay out in the winter.
They will be fine .
Mine are well wrapped up protected by fleeces and tarpaulins
extra hay and snugglesafes.
But i m sure most of the night they sit out in the run.
Most importantly they have each other .
I check on them 3 or 4 times during the evening
and they get a treat before i go to bed.

I have a group of 4 bunnies, and even though they have a lovely big hutch that is totally covered....they still prefer to sit on the cold ground of the run through out the night :thumb: so long as they have been outdoor bunnies sinse early Autumn, they'll be fine :)

Back