• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Some advice please - travelling to the vets, bonded bunnies etc

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
I'm taking Smoo to the vets tomorrow. Her abscess has come back. :cry:
It is initially just an appointment but I suspect they might keep her in to operate.
I don't know whether to take Grim with me as well.

They are a very close bonded pair and especially if she does have surgery I know having Grim there would be a huge support and comfort. But I'm worried about the journey setting his snuffles off. It's an hour and half journey and I'll have to go on two buses. If they're heated that would mean taking him from the cold outside to a heated bus to the cold outside to another heated bus to the cold outside and then to the heated vets. And if she has surgery they will need to keep her warm but that might make Grim worse.

What would you do if they were your bunnies?

How mentally resilient is Smoo?

If she is pretty mentally resilient then I would probably take her alone (which is what I have done for Autumn a few times recently because Wish and Flame can't physically cope and I also used to do it for Tilly and Summer because Roger wouldn't cope).

I'm not sure. She's usually the one that looks after Grim and cleans him. I think if I'm with her she'll be fine. I might ask if I can come in when she's waking up to give her cuddles if she has surgery. Grim would miss her, I know that. But the last thing we all need is for him to get really bad around Christmas when no vets are open. Considering that the medication he is on now was is 'making him comfortable'. As in we didn't know how long he really had with everything he has wrong. These drugs aren't curing him, they're holding off the infection for as long as possible. I think I should take her on her own but I'm still now sure.

I think it's the right thing to take her alone. Maybe you could send her with blankets that smell of them both? And stuff like that?

Sounds like you know its best to keep Smoo home.

I think from now on I will leave Cutie-pie home, her nerves are so bad if I take her out.

I think it's the right thing to take her alone. Maybe you could send her with blankets that smell of them both? And stuff like that?

Yeah, most likely she'll come and sit on my lap on the bus anyway. She's such a special bunbun.
As upset as I am about this it couldn't have come at a better time (if it had to come at all). I have tomorrow off work to take her and the day after to look after her. Then my sister is down so I can go back to work happy in the knowledge she will come over if needed. Days later and I don't know what we would have done with all the bank holidays. And I have four times as many hours at work so I should be able to pay for anything that needs to be done.

It's always good to find a silver lining :) I agree, better now than in a week, for sure. :)

Off topic completely, but do you know if Licory's Christmas Present arrived at your sisters?

It's always good to find a silver lining :) I agree, better now than in a week, for sure. :)

Off topic completely, but do you know if Licory's Christmas Present arrived at your sisters?

I know she got the door. You don't know how happy that made her. :D
But when I rang her yesterday it was about Smoo so I don't know.

If Nutmeg was ill I wouldn't take Smudge. They do have a close bond but equally can cope on their own and Smudge hates being moved and will go into stasis through stress. So I agree you'd be better off just taking Smoo. :)

Hope it goes well.

I agree with all the above. I also think Smoo would enjoy having you around when she's waking up, and also maybe a jumper or some vetbed that smells of Grim and/or yourself?

Good luck Smoobear!

Thanks guys. I've been in a bit of stress about the whole thing and told myself I was a horrible person for thinking of splitting them up. But you're right, it's for the best. She'll have me and I'm sure Grim will be okay on his own for a little while.

Back