• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Head tilt advice needed..

louise and Gus

Wise Old Thumper
Dinky has developed quite a serve headtilt, sometimes he falls over and I have to help him back up :( Poor little man looks so confused by it all. I am worried about leaving him alone in case he falls and can't get back up, how do others cope with buns with bad headtilt, I have to go to work tomorrow and am worried about him? He is eating a drinking but is scared of Gus and Sweetpea as they chase him :(

He is free range at the moment, would confining him to a cage help?

Poor Dinky :(

I would definitely confine him to a cage with pillows/cushions to support him while you are out of the house just to be on the safe side

Sending lots of vibes for little Dinky xx

Oh dear! Poor Dinky :(

Is he rolling or just falling? I'd probably confine him a little just so he couldn't get stuck anywhere if he fell/rolled. And if he's scared of the others the stress could be making him worse so a safe place for him could help.

I don't know what treatment he's on, but Stemetil really helped with B's balance when she was rolling with headtilt - I knw that doesn't help right now but it might be worth considering.

Good luck! And vibes for Dinky

Poor Dinky :(

I would definitely confine him to a cage with pillows/cushions to support him while you are out of the house just to be on the safe side

Sending lots of vibes for little Dinky xx

Thanks Liz, was hoping you'd reply. He's on a course of steroid injections and panacur so I hope that will help some what, his upturned eye has also got quite weepy..poor little guy :(

I'll sort out a cage for him while I'm out, I guess you make "bumpers" with the towels?

Oh dear! Poor Dinky :(

Is he rolling or just falling? I'd probably confine him a little just so he couldn't get stuck anywhere if he fell/rolled. And if he's scared of the others the stress could be making him worse so a safe place for him could help.

I don't know what treatment he's on, but Stemetil really helped with B's balance when she was rolling with headtilt - I knw that doesn't help right now but it might be worth considering.

Good luck! And vibes for Dinky

He is falling, usually when he is trying to eat something or wash, he just looses balance, I'll mention Stemetil to my vet, thanks.

Could the Vets admit him during the day ? To be honest I would not want to leave him unattended, even if confined.

You could ask about using viscotears to help his eyes xx

Could the Vets admit him during the day ? To be honest I would not want to leave him unattended, even if confined.

You could ask about using viscotears to help his eyes xx

Yeah I see what you are saying, but if this is going to be an ongoing thing it really isn't an option..after Wednesday I am off until the new year but if there is no improvement I need to find a way to manage him being left alone :s

Thanks Liz, was hoping you'd reply. He's on a course of steroid injections and panacur so I hope that will help some what, his upturned eye has also got quite weepy..poor little guy :(

I'll sort out a cage for him while I'm out, I guess you make "bumpers" with the towels?

Yes i make bumpers with Towels and fold up pieces of vet bed to make cushions. Also try a small towel rolled in a fleecy sock, buns seem to like them :)

:( to his poorly eye. I normally have problems with the downwards one. Dave's is infected at the moment and is on fucithalmic

my vet will not give steriod injections to rabbits as it lowers their immune sytems and makes them prone to other problems,she gave my bun metacam,baytril.panacur and stemstil she improved within a wk and half and was back to normal about a month later,she had severe head tilt and was constantly rolling totally distressing for all also make sure she receives enough medication alot of vets dont realise rabbits can tolerate more than cats

When my Kermit initially got his head tilt he was pretty bad. I had to leave him while i went to work. I left him in his cage with rolled up towels round the sides. It is not ideal, but the best that i could offer him.

After a while, Kermit became more independant although his head tilt remained. I used to leave him free ranging in the living room while i went to work.

Hopefully Dinky will improve over Christmas / New Year.

I used artificial tears for Kermit's up eye and fucithalmic for the down eye.

Back