• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Its started again with Oscar:(. U/D page 14/and again 01/2/12:(

He has been on his meds since Tues, and been fine. He has been running around all night, doing his normal bunny things. We went to put them to bed at about 1.30, and i could tell he wasnt right:(. So he has been out, doing the same movements ect, he is not eating. We dont think it stasis he is passing poos (good size, colour). Rich has a feeling it could be a urine infection (he kinda looks like he is straining). We just dont get it he is on baytril, metoclop and ranitadine. We have given him some metacam at 3ish, however i have no real idea how much he had (im wearing some of it) and that seemed to ease him shuffling around so much.

Sorry for the rambling post i havnt been to bed yet. God im so worried about him:cry::cry:

Last edited:
What a rollercoaster it can be with their health sometimes.
Are you going to the vet later?
Hope you can get something to help little Oscar soon.

No advice but just wanted to say something as I'm awake.

Thank you both for posting, im glad im not the only one awake. Ihave sent Rich to bed at around 4, he almost crashed the car last time we had to go to the emergency vets in the early hours. I just feel so desperate, i havnt stopped crying, im at a total loss as what could be wrong with him:cry:. My rabbits are my world.

I do understand how you feel as I feel the same about Julie. When she had stasis I slept on the kitchen floor to be near her.

They certainly are and they just seem hard to diagnose even for the good rabbit vets sometime.

He has just strained and weed on the laminate, ive just tested his wee, protein is 3+ and blood +2. I am going to call the vets now, i still dont understand because he has been on baytril for 4 days now:cry:. Thankyou again hun, i think you have kept me sane

It sounds like bladder/kidney stones to me. Has he had an abdominal xray/ultrasound to rule this out

If it is uroliths the pain will be when a stone shifts and sends the ureter/bladder into spasm.

I hope the Vet can help him today x

It sounds like bladder/kidney stones to me. Has he had an abdominal xray/ultrasound to rule this out

If it is uroliths the pain will be when a stone shifts and sends the ureter/bladder into spasm.

I hope the Vet can help him today x

He hasnt had any of that, we have been 3 times to the vets, and just my luck Jason the rabbit savvy vet hasnt been there:cry:. I have called the vets and spoke to a nurse, she is getting a vet to call me back at around 8.

Should i insist on an xray/ultrasound today?. What is the procedure if it is kidney stones (the reason i ask is because Jason is not on today, im not doubting the other vets capabilities but)

Sorry, im so worried about him:cry:

I am so sorry Oscar is struggling. I hope that the vet who phones can help and recommend a suitable plan of action.

I am so sorry Oscar is struggling. I hope that the vet who phones can help and recommend a suitable plan of action.

The vet called, she said to give Oscar more metacam (as i said we didnt get the whole dose into him at 3). Im calling them back at 10 to give an update, if he isnt eating we need to take him in to be put on a drip:cry:. If he is we need to take him tomorrow morning to see Jason.

Ireally need him to eat:(

He hasnt had any of that, we have been 3 times to the vets, and just my luck Jason the rabbit savvy vet hasnt been there:cry:. I have called the vets and spoke to a nurse, she is getting a vet to call me back at around 8.

Should i insist on an xray/ultrasound today?. What is the procedure if it is kidney stones (the reason i ask is because Jason is not on today, im not doubting the other vets capabilities but)

Sorry, im so worried about him:cry:

Initially an ultrasound of his kidneys and bladder.
Bloods to see what his kidney function is like. Metacam is really not ideal in a Rabbit with compromised renal function, so I would want that checked ASAP.

My concern is the straining. *If* he has stones and they are moving there is a risk that they could get stuck, straining could cause him to damage himself more.

To be honest based on the 'straining' I would want him seen today, even if he starts eating.

Sending loads of vibes for him xx

An update on our little one. We went to the vets y/day morning. He was injected another lot of his meds and another pain relief, and he came home (with an appt for Rich to see Jason today early morning).

We had to force feed him recovery mix (god that was awful:cry:). By 10.30 he had taken a few sips of water, but that was it, i really thought we were going to loose him:cry:, and was planning to go back to the vets.
After our last force feeding him we decided not to put him back in their home, but to put him in the lounge (Tilly was romping round their boxes and doing her thing in there). He lay stretched out for a while, and then started exploring the boxes with her:shock::D.
He then ate a tiny bit of apple and drank from their water bowl, i cannot ever describe the relief. Rich stayed up for a few more hrs as i was back in work today for a 12hr shift, and he ate a few pellets and some veg and was drinking.

Oscar went for his appt with Jason today, he had xrays/ultrasound and seems clear. Jason thinks he has interstitial cystitis, but can't rule out bacterial cystitis, we have to keep up on his usual meds and add in Cystaid, we also need to add ribena to their water (however all Rich could get was robinsons blackcurrant and apple fruit squash, will this be ok until we can get the proper stuff?).

Well we were back there last night. He had finished his Cystaid aprox 11-12 days ago, all was good. Oscar~D started displaying the same symptoms again last night, we finally got him eating/drinking (with ribena). I called the vets today and Jason called me back, he thinks it is interstitial cystitis. I went to collect Little Oscars meds tonight after i finished work, he is back on the Cystaid, and metacam. I am so worried about him:cry:

So sorry Oscar's poorly with it again :( Knowing what the problem is can be half the battle won and your vet is a really good one so I'm hoping he gets better soon xx

So sorry Oscar's poorly with it again :( Knowing what the problem is can be half the battle won and your vet is a really good one so I'm hoping he gets better soon xx

Thank you hun. Yes Jason is an amazing rabbit vet, i trust him 100% when it comes to my little ones. He thinks Little Oscar~D will need to be on the Cystaid permanently (thank god he likes it on his pellets). x

I just lost a bun displaying similar symptoms, clenched gut, incontinence, dribbling pee, blood in urine, not eating, unusual posture. She also drank loads just before an episode started. After three fruitless trips to a waste of time vet, x rays, scans etc, I switched vets and she was diagnosed with renal failure and a high EC titre, unfortunately it was too late for her, despite their best efforts she died. She had been losing weight since beginning of December. So maybe a check for EC if you haven't already?

Back