• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Awful news. Smoo's abscess is back. UD/ trying injections first :)

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
:cry:

Not sure what to do. It's on her jaw in a similar place to the last one.
She seemed off her food so I checked her jaw. I must have only checked in a week ago and there is a pea sized lump there.
I don't know if another operation is the way to go. Jaw abscesses do tend to come back so maybe it should be a long course of antibiotics. :?

She's had painkillers tonight and still has unlimited soggy pellets so she should start to eat again in a little while. She's been eating hay like a trooper though. How quickly can an abscess come up?

So, so gutted for her. I just know how quickly these things can escalate. I don't want it to get to the point where her quality of life is compromised. Dammit I always thought Grim would be first to go with all his illnesses. :( My vet is amazing though and I know she'll have something up her sleeve to sort this. We discussed that it might come back. Grim has been so lucky that his never did, I just never realised how lucky. I feel a bit numb.

What would you do in this situation?

Oh goodness, poor Smoo. :( I'll leave it to more experienced folk to advise, but wanted to send vibes. xx

Oh goodness, poor Smoo. :( I'll leave it to more experienced folk to advise, but wanted to send vibes. xx

Thanks. Luckily my vets are open tomorrow for a short time so I will ring them and see what they think I should do. I don't know whether to put her through another operation or not. Thank goodness for Christmas because I've got loads of hours at work so I can afford this. :(

:cry: I am sorry poor Smoo. Millions of vibes for the beautiful cuddly Smoo.

I wish I knew but really hope the vets can get rid of it quickly.

Must be so stressful for you, with Grims problems.

Poor Smoo! What a shame. These rabbit abscesses are horrible things. I am sure you and your vet will be able to come up with a treatment plan that is fair to Smoo and gives her the best chance without too much suffering.

Thank you everyone. I love my Smoo-Bear. I'm thinking maybe another operation and then a very long course of antibiotics. Grim had an eight week course for his and they never came back. This is probably what my vet will recommend but I'll try and speak to her tomorrow. I don't know whether I'll book an appointment or surgery, she trusts me enough to know what's wrong so I might be able to book her straight in. Work are going to be a pain. The vets are only open from 10am - 11am, I'm lucky they're open at all. I'm in work at 12 tomorrow so I'll have to ring in before I go in to find out what days I'm working next week. Then ring the vets to book her in on my soonest day off. I know work are going to get annoyed at me for ringing in and ask me why I couldn't just find out when I come in. :roll: They won't understand.

Oh no, abscesses are horrible things, aren't they? My Bobby and Patch both had them.
I hope you get on well at the vets today, and that they kind sort her out.

Adding vibes for Smoo. I am so sorry to hear the abscess may have returned. My heartfelt hopes that all will be well with her again soon. ((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))

Tons of vibes for Smoo tomorrow. Will this be to remove it ?

I know you have the long journey as well. Not that Smoo minds.

I don't know yet. At the moment it's just an appointment but they said they can keep her in. At my old vet it was either an appointment or surgery, they couldn't just keep an animal in so I'm lucky they can here. It will take me about an hour and a half on two busses.

Back