• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think it's statis

kgattrell

Alpha Buck
Ellie wasnt her self this morning. Wouldn't eat or move so I took her to the vets straight away he thinks it might be her gut. Gave her two injections and recovery sachets for tomorrow. She hasnt ate or drunk since seven this morning should I give her the sachets now

I'm really worried for her I've never seen her this lethargic before
She is just grinding her teeth, kinda shivering and won't move

Please help I can't lose her :(

What injections was she given do you know? Will most likely be a gut stimulant and pain killer, the most common being 'metacam', do you know if she got this as grinding teeth can be a sign of pain. Has she poo'd at all? Are the sachets food, do you give it through a syringe? I am not sure about this, hope some one more knowledgeable comes along soon, sending plenty of vibes for your little girl xxxxxx

Sending lots of vibes for her. xx

That's a long time for a bunny to go without taking any fluid or nourishment. :( Like Liz, I hope someone more knowledgeable comes along soon, but I think if it was me I would try to syringe some water, and perhaps make up a sachet.

I would call the Vet again *tonight*

It sounds as though she needs admitting for intensive care, including fluid therapy. Fluids are an absolute *essential*

The tooth grinding indicates severe pain, so she also needs additional analgesic cover

Please call the Vet again now, I hope Ellie can recover xx

No she hasn't pooped, the sachets are recovery sachets i think I'll try her on one now. I just wanted to check cause vet said tomorrow

How many ml should I give her to start with?

How many did the vets say? Please ring them and check, as Jacks-Jane said she sounds like she's in a lot of pain and she has gone a long time without any food/water input and poo'ing output. I will try and find a few links for you on recovery food/syringing water, although this could be dangerous if she has a blockage which the vets will need to check her for this.

No she hasn't pooped, the sachets are recovery sachets i think I'll try her on one now. I just wanted to check cause vet said tomorrow

If she is as you describe and lethargic, shivering etc so long after the medications I would suspect she isn't making the recovery the vet would have predicted, I'd be seriously concerned that tomorrow might be too late, that she might not make it through the night without more intensive treatment.

If she is as you describe and lethargic, shivering etc so long after the medications I would suspect she isn't making the recovery the vet would have predicted, I'd be seriously concerned that tomorrow might be too late, that she might not make it through the night without more intensive treatment.

This - call the vet as soon as.

I can find some links on how to syringe water etc but I don't want to give the wrong advice, as I know syringing could make problems worse if she has a blockage, please ring the vets now as it sounds like she has made no recovery yet, which would indicate she needs to be seen as soon as possible. Beano my rabbit has been in a similar situation, she made no signs of recovery after being given injections and she was taken back to the vets where she was able to recover, had I not taken her back I don't think she would've.

I think if the injections she had this morning haven't worked then she needs to go back to the vet now :cry: I hope the vet can help. Sending lots of vibes for Ellie xx

Ellie wasnt her self this morning. Wouldn't eat or move so I took her to the vets straight away he thinks it might be her gut. Gave her two injections and recovery sachets for tomorrow. She hasnt ate or drunk since seven this morning should I give her the sachets now

I'm really worried for her I've never seen her this lethargic before
She is just grinding her teeth, kinda shivering and won't move

Please help I can't lose her :(

Just reading this post again, did she actually eat at 7 this morning or is this when you first noticed that she wasn't eating? *If* she may have stopped eating last night then it could be as long as 24 hours already that she hasn't eaten. In the case of a rabbit discovered to be not eating first thing in the morning, once a blockage had been ruled out my vets would have started the syringe feeding straight away as it could be at least 8 - 9 hours without food at that stage and it's important to get the guts moving as soon as possible.

It's extremely serious to go more than 24 hours without food, therefore gut activity, for a rabbit but I'd be even more concerned as to why she isn't eating and is still, presumably, in pain even after the medication.

I can't stress enough how important it is that she sees a vet tonight. The vet should have been advising recovery food for today, not tomorrow.

I can't really add anything to the posts above, my Honey is prone to bouts of stasis and I normally treat her at home but she's never been so bad that she's ground her teeth.

Did the vet check your wee girl's teeth at all? Dental probelms can be very painful for a bunny.

Thank you everyone. I just got back from emergency vets they have kept her in. Please cross your fingers for her x

I hope your bun is okay,I lost my little girl "Cleo" to stasis last April..sigh.She was always a "Gutty" bun. She was at the vets a few times,she was only four when she passed. I'm nursing along her husbun "Rio" ,he is 8 in february,off his normal food etc,He does love the hamsters food,lol.He loves his veg so I'm letting him eat what the hell he likes as an old boy...:)

Back