• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pretty sure my rabbit has Snuffles :-( Please help!

toffeej

New Kit
I've just got back from uni for Christmas and my parents said my buns eyes have been a little runny for 2/3 days, I've had a look at him and also noticed his nose is running and apparently he's sneezed at least once. So I am thinking snuffles as his teeth have always been perfect and when checked at a recent vaccination they were fine.
Going to take him to the vets on Monday but is there anything I can be doing for him until then? E.g. would it be better to have him in his indoor cage and in the house than having him sleep in his shed? Any help would be great guys!!

Katherine

He needs to be seen by a Vet before Monday I am afraid. If he has a respiratory tract infection he needs prompt treatment. The infection can go onto the lungs causing pneumonia.

If you bring him into a heated house he will need to remain indoors.

Is he eating and pooing ?

yep, eating and pooing as a type actually! he couldn't be any more lively and happy. gonna make him an indoor cage up. bit concerned about the vets as a lot of them at our vets don't tend to be v rabbit savvy, what should i be expecting to happen when i take him in?

thanks

yep, eating and pooing as a type actually! he couldn't be any more lively and happy. gonna make him an indoor cage up. bit concerned about the vets as a lot of them at our vets don't tend to be v rabbit savvy, what should i be expecting to happen when i take him in?

thanks

The Vet should give him a thorough examination including listening to his heart and lungs, checking his abdomen, inside his ears, his eyes, his teeth and weigh him.

The Vet will probably prescribe antibiotics, usually Baytril in the first instance. Vet may also prescribe an eye ointment such as Fucithalmic. A non steroidal anti-inflammatory may be given as inflammation within the nasal passages can occur. If there is a lot of thick mucus then a mucolytic (Bisolvon) can be given to thin it out.

A follow up appointment should be made in 4-5 days time, with advice to get in touch sooner if worried or needing more advice.

Good luck :)

Thanks v much, going to take him in tomorrow.

So they wont do culture and sensitivity tests as standard?

Will update tomorrow after vets x

Dont bring him indoors unless you have thought it through properly. First of all, he will have to stay in till April. Secondly, can you let him have enough free-range time out of his cage? I would say 5 hours a day is an absolute minimum, 12 would be good, 24/7 would be preferable. And thirdly, the change in temperature from the cold outdoors to the warm house could actually make his snuffles WORSE. You will have to keep him in a cold room at first and acclimatise him to indoor temps.
Have a look at this thread: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?323629-Those-bringing-rabbits-indoors-from-outdoors

Does bunny's breathing sound okay? Is he eating normally, and the same amounts as normal?

For now I think it would be best to give him a warmed-up snugglesafe and make sure he has a thick warm bed of straw/hay.

He comes in the house every evening, he was already in when I realised there was anything wrong with him and now he has been in the heated house for at least an hour. He can't stay in the house til April and he can't have that amount of time of free range in the house, hence why he lives in a v large shed with a large run. Now I am unsure of what to do. He has been eating since he came in, going to the toilet etc. I know him so well and how he acts when he's unwell etc, he had GI stasis at 6months and other gastro problems over the past 4 yrs plus other minor medical probs. Honestly wouldn't have a clue anything is up without the moist eye and nostrils. xx

Thanks v much, going to take him in tomorrow.

So they wont do culture and sensitivity tests as standard?

Will update tomorrow after vets x

Many wont at first. Personally, I'd ask for one, as once he is on antibiotics he will need to come off them to have the c&s test done. Be aware that they dont always grow anything though. One taken under GA has a better chance of getting some of the bacteria on it, but if his breathing is comprimised this may not be a good idea.

I'd get him teeth looked at too, teeth problems can develop within a few weeks, and snuffles and dental problems are often linked.

If your vet does put him under GA anyway, an xray can be taken to rule out tooth root problems, overgrown roots are also linked to snuffles. At this stage I wouldnt have him put under GA especially for an xray though.

He comes in the house every evening, he was already in when I realised there was anything wrong with him and now he has been in the heated house for at least an hour. He can't stay in the house til April and he can't have that amount of time of free range in the house, hence why he lives in a v large shed with a large run. Now I am unsure of what to do. He has been eating since he came in, going to the toilet etc. I know him so well and how he acts when he's unwell etc, he had GI stasis at 6months and other gastro problems over the past 4 yrs plus other minor medical probs. Honestly wouldn't have a clue anything is up without the moist eye and nostrils. xx

Have you had a read of this thread? http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?323629-Those-bringing-rabbits-indoors-from-outdoors

The temperature change from outside to indoors can make bunnies ill, this does sound like snuffles so with him already being ill the change isn't a good idea. Hope the medication will soon clear it up.

Unfortunately bringing him in and out like this may have triggered the snuffles. You cant keep him in for a while till his snuffles are a bit better because he will moult his winter coat, and then it would be cruel and dangerous to put him back out, so if you cant keep him in till April I would put him outside and keep him there, no more coming inside.

Sounds like you've caught the snuffles early which is good, unfortunately rabbits as prey animals are designed to hide signs of stress and illness, so often by the time we notice they are already ill.

I suggest picking either outside or inside and letting him stay there for the rest of the winter. As others have said the change in temperature can aggravate respiratory problems.

The vets will probably put him on baytril to begin with, you'll want quite a long course, so for him to be on them for at least two weeks. Then if there in an improvement he should stay on the antibiotics for two weeks after the symptoms have gone. Snuffles is notorious for coming back so you have to hit it hard. If baytril doesn't work you can request stronger antibiotics. Which ones depend on the infection.

Back