• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Septrin for eye ulcers? U/D Still improving

Sorry I haven't had any experience with this, but hoping some one who can help will come along soon :)

:wave: Anyone?

Timmy has had ulcers for some time, with all sorts of treatment for them. He had an rti a few months ago, and was prescribed Septrin, about the only thing he hasn't had for his eyes. His eyes seemed to improve while on the medicine, and get worse again when it was finished. My vet has been happy enough to put him back on Septrin, and it seems it is slowly helping his ulcers.

Just wondered if anyone else had ulcers helped with Septrin?

I had a bun with an eye ulcer and he was treated with Baytril orally twice a day and an ABX ointment gentimicin three times a day. The ulcer which was caused by an abscess in his tear duct which irritated him and made him scratch at his face causing the ulcer. The ulcer cleared up completely after two weeks.

Just back from the vet, and Timmy's eyes are continuing to improve with the Septrin, Fucithalmic and viscotears.

Vet says he has never used Septrin to treat eye ulcers!

My Daisy has just been diagnosed with an eye ulcer. Ive been giving her a drop of chloramphenicol every 2 hrs since Fri afternoon and i *think* it may be improving! I only say think as her eye is still abit gunky from her infection and its closed most of the time. Am taking her for another checkup tomorrow so am keeping my fingers crossed. She is also on baytril and metacam once a day. Weedug do you have any pics of Timmys ulcers please? It would be interesting to see as Ive never experienced ulcers before Daisys. Thanks :lol:

Glad to hear Daisy might be improving :wave:.

I can't remember now if Timmy has had the drops you mention or not, he has had so many different treatments :roll:, some have been awful for him :(. He had ulcers in both eyes when I got him almost a year ago, and this is the smallest they have been :D.

I've never managed to get a photo of them. There is no discharge or anything, just a sort of greyish mark on each eye at the same place, easily missed if not hunted for. The special drops the vet uses makes it show better, but Timmy has his eyes closed more after a vet visit, as I think they are sorer then.

Just glad my vet agreed when I kept insisting I wanted him to try another course of the Septrin. It's so good to see him happy (Timmy that is, not the vet :lol:).

Back