• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I am so excited/ UD think its working post 37

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
You will probably think I am crazy but this has really made my Christmas :oops: :lol::lol:

As many of you know we have an amazing special bunny called Humphrey Cushion. He has been with us 5 months and is probably close to 11 years old now. Sadly he has never been castrated and there is no way he can have a GA to do the op at this stage in his life. Despite his age he is still very hormonal. At first it wasn't too much of an issue as he was severely under weight with muscle weakness when he arrived along with some tummy problems. Over the months he has become stronger and more active, the pain relief is helping his arthritis and although his back legs are still weak he is absolutely full of life. But in turn this means his hormonal behaviour has gone through the roof. The poor lad has no control over it and he is getting exhausted. At times I am worried that his old heart or lungs will give out on him. I am also worried he will have a serious accident as he gets so desperate to get to me or my cloths or anything that smells of me or other bunnies that he is throwing himself about all over the place. He has fallen from the bed many times as he has attempted to jump up with his wobbly legs to hump my pillow. I am so scared that he will break his ribs or pelvis :(

Over the last couple of weeks I have become increasingly worried for his welfare because of his hormones to the point where i was thinking we will have to risk a GA. But he is such a completely amazing bunny that I could never live with myself if i lost him under GA just for a castration. In the past I have lost two special bunnies during routine castration and I still hate myself for putting them through it. So to loose a bunny who covers my face in kisses everyday would destroy me.

Anyway, today I spoke to the exotics vet at our surgery and asked her if she would consider a hormone implant for Humphrey, I thought I had no chance but she said yes :D:D:D:D. First of all she wants to try an injection that will last 6 to 8 weeks, which will give us some indication of whether an implant will work. because he has been hormonal for so many years the behaviour may be learnt now and he may not stop but it is worth a try. If the injection works he can have an implant which will last 6 months.

So in the new year hopefully he is going to have a hormone injection :D:D The vet needs to speak to the company that make it to get a dose as obviously its not licensed for bunnies. But I am just so happy that she is trying for him. It would be so wonderful if Humph could settle down with me for cuddles instead of his frantic buzzing and humping. I am sure he is completely exhausted, bless his heart :love::love:

Last edited:
What fantastic news, I hope all goes well with tje injection and Humphrey gets to relax a bit more.x.

Aww, bless him. :love: I hope the implant works out and helps. I used to worry about my little friend Mr McFlurry over-exerting himself, and he is a very much younger bunny.

I hope it works, how exciting.:D

I think I have heard of guinea pigs having hormone injections but I have no experience of it.

Wow - I so hope it works for him.

My 6 year old guinea had a hormone implant because she had ovarian cysts. The transformation in her is amazing - she's got a whole new lease of life.

My vet just gave her a whiff of gas as the implant is quite big to insert and it can sting a bit but definitely worth it.

I hope everything works out for him :love:

Thanks. It would be great if it could work as it means we may be able to help other bunnies in the future by using it too. I still hate myself for sending Geordie and Austin to be castrated and them never coming home. They loved bunny company so much that I wanted to give them a chance of the best life possible, but it never worked out that way :(

It will be wonderful to see my Humph flopped out and relaxed. He is too amazing for words. It was 2 years yesterday since we lost Super Timmy but I can honestly say that Humphrey is on a level with him as special bunnies go :love::love::love:

Aww Humphrey sounds lovely :love: I hope it works and he calms down! Good luck Humphrey Cushion! Xxx

he really is, we just watched strictly together - my knee and elbow were humped within and inch of their life. After that he ate his own poo and then came over to wash my face :mrgreen::mrgreen: Love my boy :love::love:

he really is, we just watched strictly together - my knee and elbow were humped within and inch of their life. After that he ate his own poo and then came over to wash my face :mrgreen::mrgreen: Love my boy :love::love:

Bless him! He really does sound special. I hope it works for him.
Grim is a very humpy bunny. He wasn't castrated until he was about two or three I think. It took him a while for the behaviour to settle down and he's still quite humpy even now at five and a half. Can you keep him on injections for longer as it might take longer than the eight weeks for him to settle?

Bless him! He really does sound special. I hope it works for him.
Grim is a very humpy bunny. He wasn't castrated until he was about two or three I think. It took him a while for the behaviour to settle down and he's still quite humpy even now at five and a half. Can you keep him on injections for longer as it might take longer than the eight weeks for him to settle?

He will have the injection to see if it makes any difference at all, if it does he can have an implant. If it doesn't I guess we discuss whether to try another injection or whether to leave it :)

Stupid question, but isn't he interested in 'playing' with cuddly toy rabbits?

No, and i wouldn't want to encourage it as it might make him sore. he gets excited if he can smell where other buns have been and he loves me very much but I guess thats because I always smell of other bunnies. Thankfully when he is in his cage he does settle and sleep

Sadly because he isn't neutered he has to be exercised in our bedroom which is normally out of bounds to bunnies as him being near our other groups would cause all sorts of problems with referred aggression etc

Back