• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Starting a Rescue

MilosMummy

Mama Doe
To all the rescues on the forum. How did you get started? My OH has been talking about starting a rescue and I wondered how realistic it is.

I think all the terrible stories from here have gotten to him. He gets as upset as me to see buns being mistreated and discarded like they are nothing :(

I started off by volunteering at a rescue for about 18 months/2 years I think(no longer in operation), then fostering for them.

I moved to foster and help coordinate rehoming/homechecking for ARC in Twickenham, then decided as I was actually serving my local area an awful lot, I'd go it alone and start small by taking in bunnies from the vets where I work when they weren't wanted any more or were found as strays. Rest is history.

I started off by volunteering at a rescue for about 18 months/2 years I think(no longer in operation), then fostering for them.

I moved to foster and help coordinate rehoming/homechecking for ARC in Twickenham, then decided as I was actually serving my local area an awful lot, I'd go it alone and start small by taking in bunnies from the vets where I work when they weren't wanted any more or were found as strays. Rest is history.

can I ask whether you registered as a charity - and if so at what stage?

Recently we are being contacted quite often direct to take in bunnies who are 'different' (recently 3 wildies) or local strays (3 in the last year) or two particular RSPCA cases . .

can I ask whether you registered as a charity - and if so at what stage?

Recently we are being contacted quite often direct to take in bunnies who are 'different' (recently 3 wildies) or local strays (3 in the last year) or two particular RSPCA cases . .

I hadn't bothered until recently and am currently in the throws of making everything official Twigs. I won't obviously be going for a registered charity but a non-profit organisation.

We have always been known for taking in waifs and strays and then ended up fostering for another rescue. We had lots of their animals but became disillusioned and left, when we left we still had lots of animals in our care that nobody had showed interest in, mainly because they were too old or had behavioural problems. We ended up keeping them and continued to be asked to take in animals who had no other options and were most likely going to be PTS- so we took them.
A couple of years ago we decided we may as well call ourselves a sanctuary and last year became a registered charity.

I think if you want to become a rescue its great, but make sure you can afford it, most rescues fund it themselves and donations do not make a big dent in the bills.

Alsomake sure you have time.
We have spent most of today trying to get 4 of the pigs inside, we still have to give everyone water as it has frozen outside, muck out the horses and put everyone to bed. I know its not quite like that with rabbits but it just takes a couple of ill rabbits to eat into your time.

Finally you need to be pretty strong, able to bite your tongue with some people, just to get an animal safety and you need to be able to deal with heartache, not all animals make even after you take them in, and it is often after a long course of nursing so it is doubly difficult.

Hope this helps.:)

We took in special bunnies for many years before we became 'public'. We thought it through for around 18 months before we did become 'official' but it still took us completely by surprise at how much it took over our lives, the financial costs involved and all the poop that goes along with everyone knowing what you do. We have been going 4 years now and it is only in the last year that we have felt that we have really found our feet with it. It was a very steep learning curve!

Thank you everyone :) I knew that it was going to be alot of work but think that we definately need to do more research.

As others have said, do volunteer work for a local rescue first, or just take in one or two needy rabbits at a time for a start.

I don't have the time or inclination for dealing with the public, so I decided to open a small sanctuary rather than a rescue. We primarily offer permanent sanctuary space for sick and needy rabbits, and usually only take in rabbits via rescues.

The main points to consider about starting a rescue are...

1. You will never have any spare time
2. You will never have any spare money
3. People will dump their problems on you
4. Everyone will have an opinion on what you do and how you do it...sometimes not a nice opinion!

Good luck whatever you decide :)

As others have said, do volunteer work for a local rescue first, or just take in one or two needy rabbits at a time for a start.

I don't have the time or inclination for dealing with the public, so I decided to open a small sanctuary rather than a rescue. We primarily offer permanent sanctuary space for sick and needy rabbits, and usually only take in rabbits via rescues.

The main points to consider about starting a rescue are...

1. You will never have any spare time
2. You will never have any spare money
3. People will dump their problems on you
4. Everyone will have an opinion on what you do and how you do it...sometimes not a nice opinion!

Good luck whatever you decide :)

You have summed that up so well, especially number 4!

We originally worked out that we could put £400 aside a month for vet bills, in two years we were paying out between £1000 and £1500 a month because we tried so hard not to let anyone or anybun down. We were so shocked, amazed and grateful for the support we received, in return we felt we had to help everyone. We never got to a point where it got out of hand as it were, all the buns were well cared for and loved beyond words but you have to be incredibly tough to be able to say no, which we can do now :) It sometimes takes a while to work out your limits and also what you are able to cope with comfortably.

Back