• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why do they binky....?

TeflonsShadow

Wise Old Thumper
I post this as the two mad house buns dive around the livingroom performing all sorts of acrobatic feats...... but WHY do they binky?? Yeah, it shows happiness....but why would any animal dive around the room at 500mph just because they are happy?? :lol:

I dont get it, but I do love it. :lol:

I dunno, maybe they can't control it. Buckley always looks shocked after he's binkied. He just sort of stands there, staring like "where the :censored: did that come from?!?!?!?!"

I reckon its excitement rather than happiness. Annabella dashes around like a mad thing for a few minutes almost every night and most dawns, I think maybe she just has loads of energy then and wants to express how excited she is for no apparent reason. She's like a hyper child on Sunset Yellow!

I reckon its excitement rather than happiness. Annabella dashes around like a mad thing for a few minutes almost every night and most dawns, I think maybe she just has loads of energy then and wants to express how excited she is for no apparent reason. She's like a hyper child on Sunset Yellow!

Ahhh, sunset yellow.

I have a packet of bubble gum from an ice cream van that said "not suitable for young children, additives may cause temporary behavioural problems such as restlessness"

I do it all the time although the back's beginning to play up a bit now... :D .... and why? Spontaneous happiness and a show of macho athletic prowess :D:lol::D oh and did I mention my dodgy knees... binkying really is for youngsters

Last edited:
I do it all the time although the back's beginning to play up a bit now... :D .... and why? Spontaneous happiness and a show of macho athletic prowess :D:lol::D oh and did I mention my dodgy knees... binkying really is for youngsters

:lol:

And Pebble; the movement almost reminds me of hiccups......!!

This is such an interesting question. I've been wondering amateurishly if they experience a surge of dopamine and / or serotonin which prompts it, but I can't find anywhere to check this. Perhaps thumps_ would know as she must know loads about rabbit biochemistry.

Both of mine have been binkying tonight, which is unusual. Beatrix will binky with any excuse, but Ada rarely. She must be enjoying the nice clean cage and being filled up with Metacam and Biolapis and herbs, and recovering well from her spay.

I read once that it was to keep up their natural evading skills so that they are ready to flee from predators if necessary. Does explain the mad leaps that leave them facing the opposite direction!:lol:

I read once that it was to keep up their natural evading skills so that they are ready to flee from predators if necessary. Does explain the mad leaps that leave them facing the opposite direction!:lol:
:lol::lol:
Gosh. Yes! Beatrix-binkies in particular remind me of chase scenes in films. All that's needed is a market stall to knock over and a jumbo lorry to drive between her and the baddies.

I honestly can't see Julie's binkies helping her to get away from any predator. They look more like she is having a tick or some kind of seizure.

Loki loves charging around on top of the cage (he's actually free range so its always open) He normally precedes this with a massive binky from floor to cage top - about 3 feet high.

Back