• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Summer care (sorry I know it's December)...

sierra*323

Mama Doe
I know summer seems a long way off, but I've just been reading the health stickies and this is a topic I've been (wishfully) thinking about.

The winter is highlighting a few hutch alterations that I'd like to do when it gets warmer. I put so much time and effort into planning my winter preparations, I was wondering what everyone does to prepare for the summer months?

I'm planning to but a fold up gazebo so we can share some shade with the rabbits - our garden becomes a sun trap in the summer, I've found one on ebay that will cover the hutch and a bit of patio for me! Tango sat under the tarp in the run to get some shade in the few days of summer we had in september, but Finx insisted on flopping in the hot hutch and sneezing, which worried me.

Any summer suggestions? The winter care thread was really helpful for a newbie to keeping them outdoors!

I know a lot of people froze bottles of water and wrapped them in something to put in hutches/runs so what rabbits could lie on them. You can also get freezer things like snugglesafes, I can't remember what they're called.

I just made sure mine had some shaded space and, as always, had plenty of water. They did spend a lot of time lying in the sun but they aren't stupid, if they're hot they'll find somewhere less hot :)

Make sure they have plenty of shade, maybe invest in an ice pod (similar to a snugglesafe but you put it in the freezer and it stays cold for a long time so the bunnies can lie on it/next to it to cool down), change their water regularly so they have plenty and it's cold, maybe give them a little slice of cucumber (a cold, watery veg) on very got days :)

Ah I know a certain fluffy someone who is very keen on cucumber ;)
I hadn't heard of the cold version of snugglesafes! I had wondered.

Nothing much apart from taking most of the bedding out (They shove it all away and sit on the wood when it's warm anyway) and make sure they're not in direct sun, if it's really bad I'll mist them or give them a frozen bottle but they rarely use it

Back