• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vet training

Stator

Warren Veteran
Does vet training involve vivisection? Or do they practice on animals killed specifically for the purpose of training?

From what I have seen they mainly use animals that have died naturally or have been euthanased, but only if they have the owners permission. They possibly use specifically killed animals for some things but I don't really know a lot about it to be honest, best person to ask would be a vet or vet student. I didn't see or hear of any kind of vivisection at the vet schools I have visited, I think that any procedures done by students on live animals are only done if the animal needs it and they are closely supervised by the vets. I do know that animal research does take place in other parts of the Universities though.

From what I have seen they mainly use animals that have died naturally or have been euthanased, but only if they have the owners permission.

Does this mean that in the same way as you can donate your body for medical research after death, the same can happen with pets?

I know someone training as a vet. He told me one day that he'd been in a lab with 27 dead dogs and 6 horses heads for practising on. He said the dogs were pound dogs from America that had been euthanised and flown over! :(

Back