• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wild rabbit watchers.. Question

Irishmeat

Young Bun
As some on here know I am a zoology student. I am very Interested in the wild european rabbit (oryctolagus cunniculus). I know that there are members of this forum who enjoy observing wildies. One question that I can't find an answer for is:

DO WILD RABBITS MATE ABOVE OR BELOW GROUND?

Has anyone here sighted them mating above ground e.t.c? Info appreciated.

We have loads here! Surrounded by fields and a huge wild garden full of them. I have never seen them mating above ground. It would put them in a very vunerable position if they did.

Surely if they mated above ground there would be videos on youtube.. If they only mate below ground It would mean that the domestics that get knocked up by wildies when they escape e.t.c do a bit of tunnel exploration...

Surely if they mated above ground there would be videos on youtube.. If they only mate below ground It would mean that the domestics that get knocked up by wildies when they escape e.t.c do a bit of tunnel exploration...

But on the other hand a wildie finding a domestic in their territory is likely to want to assert dominance over the intruder, so humping.

I thought it was above ground (though it would be hard to say it wasn't going on below ground too). There is the spraying, and sizing up opponents, and following your favourite bun around etc. courtship activity which there wouldn't be room for in tunnels, the actually mating part only takes a few seconds.

There is a bit of footage here: http://www.arkive.org/rabbit/oryctolagus-cuniculus/video-09a.html

I thought it was above ground (though it would be hard to say it wasn't going on below ground too). There is the spraying, and sizing up opponents, and following your favourite bun around etc. courtship activity which there wouldn't be room for in tunnels, the actually mating part only takes a few seconds.

There is a bit of footage here: http://www.arkive.org/rabbit/oryctolagus-cuniculus/video-09a.html

Wow! There are so many great videos on that site! :love:

Many thanks for the link Tamsin. Im hoping we will find the answer in the book i ordered "The private life of the Rabbit". It is possible that courtship only takes place above ground but mating below. I mean when the Dominant male is decided it would make sence for females to be receptive without him having to do a display or courtship every time. also as far as i know in the warren there are excaveted chambers/rooms where rabbits rest up, so this would allow sufficient room for mating.. Do you (anyone) think that female domestics that are knocked up would go to ground to mate? Im not sure they would and that is why I have the question mark over below ground matings... Its an interesting one guys.

edited to say found the answer
http://www.arkive.org/rabbit/oryctolagus-cuniculus/image-A9805.html

Last edited:
You could try contacting Dr Anne McBride perhaps. She did her PhD studying the wild rabbits in Spain in their native habitat and may know the answer to your question. She is contactable at Southampton University or through the Rabbit Behaviour Advisory Group (if you google both you should find her)

Yes, they do the mating underground,in privacy,in the bedrooms,lights out. Just like when its peeing with rain, the parents dont let the kids out..Gotta stay in and watch Tv or play a game.

(Sorry...couldnt resist).....:roll:

You could try contacting Dr Anne McBride perhaps. She did her PhD studying the wild rabbits in Spain in their native habitat and may know the answer to your question. She is contactable at Southampton University or through the Rabbit Behaviour Advisory Group (if you google both you should find her)

Thanks for that info it could come in usefull

Back