• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Munchkin has gone to the Bridge

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
I am blaming myself as she wasn't quite right last night. She was outside in the run though and I thought she would probably be in the hutch if she was poorly. I thought I heard her snuffle but when I picked her up and listened her breathing seemed fine. I put her in the the hutch and she hopped off as usual. I didn't see her eat - but my buns often won't eat if I am watching.

When I went to give them their breakfast this morning she was clearly unwell. I picked her up and she was floppy and mouth breathing. She died before I could ring the vet.

I can only think she may have been cold, but she was in the downstairs part of the hutch - their cat bed and shredded paper are upstairs and their litter trays, food and hay downstairs. She didn't feel cold to the touch.

Munchkin is Molly's daughter. Munchkin's sister, Misty, died about three years ago in a similar way but while she was at the vet. The vet did a PM but it was inconclusive. I am still in touch with the woman who ran the rescue (now closed) I adopted them from and she said Misty's sisters had died in the same way, so maybe it's genetic.

I am taking her to the vet at 4.00 pm for a private cremation and am taking Molly and Dylan (who were in with Munchkin) too for a check-up. Neither seem interested in their food but they could be grieving. They are eating but not with enthusiasm. Neither feel cold to the touch and are acting as normal, just subdued. 4.00 pm is the first appointment my vet has. I will check on Molly and Dylan later and take them to the vet sooner if I am concerned.

I haven't even cried. I don't understand it. I am usually in floods of tears. I feel extremely angry with myself and don't deserve bunnies but I can't cry. I've kissed Munchkin goodbye and she is in a towel in a box. I am moving next year so can't bury her as I don't want to leave her behind.

I know I deserve you all to slate me - but I can't feel any worst than I already do.

Last edited:
You are an experienced bunny owner who acted on instinct - if there was anything definite to see last night you would have picked up on it and acted accordingly. I'm sure you know well enough that they can deteriorate very rapidly, so stop blaming yourself ... if you had got her to a vet it might have been something they couldn't mend anyway, she spent her last 24 hours with her companions at home, I'm sure she would have preferred it that way, if you could ask her.

Be kind to yourself. You will blub when you're ready to, you're dealing with the practical at the moment.

Edit to add: Sorry for your loss:cry:

Oh Im ever so sorryf ro your losss..binky free Munchkin...xxxx

Dont blame yourself...you did check on her and she was ok....Im also sure she was glad she was with her friends xxx

Oh Im ever so sorry for your losss..binky free Munchkin...xxxx

Dont blame yourself...you did check on her and she was ok....Im also sure she was glad she was with her friends xxx

I am so so sorry Karen. It seems like you are still in shock and blaming yourself for Munchkin. Everyone blames themselves, - should I have noticed earlier, was it too cold, was it too hot, what if I got to the vets earlier, so many what if's.

It is difficult to notice minor changes, unless you are watching them all the time. Like Cutie-pie, she had mild changes and I would come back and check on her, then suddenly she looked very poorly, plus she lives inside so I can check on her alot but then that didn't help Sunshine.

You love your bunnies and cats and I know you give them the best care. It wouldn't be the weather, as all the other bunnies are fine and they have adapted to living outside and its a mild winter.

I am very sorry you lost Munchkin. Thinking of you. xxx

I'm so sorry. :( Please don't blame yourself, it does look from the background you give that something genetic may be behind this.

Binky free Munchkin.

I'm so sorry about Munchkin, I'm sure you couldn't have done any more, she had the choice to go inside, and like the others have said there is a chance its a genetic thing.

Thinking of you all - and I hope your other buns are ok xx

Oh no, I'm so sorry :cry: It does sound genetic if her siblings passed in a similar way, so don't blame yourself. Binky free Munchkin xx

Thanks guys.

Have just got back from the vet. A friend took me as I realised I couldn't fit the box with Munchkin in and the carrier with Dylan and Molly in in my two seater car.

The vet couldn't think what it could be either after asking me questions about how Munchkin had been. I don't want a PM as poor Misty had one and it was inconclusive anyway. Munchkin is going to stay at the vet until Monday when she will be taken to Wales for a private cremation.

The vet gave Molly and Dylan a good check up and showed me how to feel their tummies myself so I can start checking them regularly and will recognise if anything is different. I had both their myxi jabs done while they were there. I wasn't totally sure about getting Dylan done due to his age and his arthritis but I went with the vet's advice and got him done. Munchkin didn't die of myxi and the vet is coming out in January to do the others but it spreads the cost a bit getting two done now and Dylan was stressed anyway.

Both Molly and Dylan are fine. The vet could feel food in their tummies so they are eating - just not when I am watching. I had their teeth checked and Dylan's nails cut while I was there too and got some flea stuff to treat them all with.

Dylan got very stressed and was breathing fast so I am glad I got everything done for him while he was there. He won't have the VHD jab - I will check with the vet when he comes out but I don't think we will risk it. His back legs are very thin now with the arthritis. He has a lump too but it isn't painful and the vet said it is just fatty tissue.

I'm relieved Molly and Dylan are well but now feel bad about putting Dylan through the vet visit when he didn't actually need to go - it was more for my own reassurance - as he shook and was clearly terrified.

I have never heard a PM done.

At least Dylan and Molly are eating. He is probably fine now he is back home.

Hope you are alright. xxx

I am actually starting to feel upset now.

Going over to Sam's shortly for tea and a Rosie cuddle. This was arranged before Munchkin died but I'm glad I won't be on my own tonight.

Back